“Grossly misrepresented property” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Grossly misrepresented property”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This property is advertised as offering indulgences and being "upscale" and comparable to the Four Seasons. All of those are lies. Not only is it not comparable to any Four Seasons on this planet, it's not even a nice Hilton. Every single thing (furniture, bedding, construction) is of the cheapest quality and therefore, the wear and tear is evident -- chunks of wood knicked out of every single piece of furniture in our room including the door which was alarming since it looked like someone had tried to break into the room. The bed squeaked and the walls were paper thin in our "bungalow" enabling us to hear every movement next door. We checked out 2 hours after seeing our room and moved to another resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I regret reading this message and that our resort is not to your liking.

I want to take this opportunity to clarify that we do not publish or compare ourselves anywhere
with a Four Seasons hotel, products and concepts are different.

Our architecture, environment and materials have nothing to do with a city hotel.

Our location and design incorporated into the natural environment make us leaders in the eco resort destination.

Two hours are insufficient to experience our service and warmth of our staff.

1,996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed there from April 11-15 and did not have running water in our room for 2 1/2 days without explanation. We asked to change rooms, but they did not. We had to take our stuff and shower at the spa and use the restroom at the pool or spa. We did get a discount on our stay, but we had to be persistent. Besides that problem, the facility is beautiful, well kept and clean. It is still the dry season, so everything was brown and the trees didn't have leaves, but everyone told us that after the first couple rains in May, everything will be green again. The food was just ok, but they do have a lot of options. The bartenders and wait staff were great! My husband and I got a massage at the spa, which was wonderful...I highly recommend it! The resort is located on a bay so there is land across the way and the water is pretty calm. It's just a short boat ride to the open ocean though. There's a nice hiking trail that has a wonderful lookout over the ocean and the sunset. We went by ourselves, but I think they do the hike as a group activity too.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in write about your recent experience at the hotel.

I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed your massage at the Spa, the sunset. And our staff exceeds your expectations.

I understand from your review that you had some water issues while you stayed with us. I sincerely apologize if this inconvenienced you in any way. the problema came from our extrenal provider AYA , the incidente affected the whole Papagayo area and the other hotels.

If you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review about somewhere I haven't been to yet.

My husband and I plan to visit for 5 nights in September to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary so I sent a quick message via their website not expecting the response I got.

I have been a Diamond Member with Hilton for years and through a last minute hotel change requested by a client last year I dropped down to Gold (falling a few days short of Diamond requirement). As a Diamond Member I am pretty spoiled by Hilton and only stay at other brands grudgingly.

Since I am currently Gold, I thought I would have to settle for less than being spoiled. Boy was I wrong!

I received a personal email from Paulo Bonilla outlining in detail how to make reservations for Hilton and non-Hilton events and adventures. I am so pleased with the care and consideration taken in answering my question - instead of a form letter.

If this is any indication on what we can expect for our 30th Anniversary stay it will be amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Grettings from sunny Costa Rica

I was glad to read from your review that our team member Paulo Bonilla exceeds your expectations in sending the information about your upcoming visit to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica and take care of every detail about it

We look forward to welcome you at our paradise and we will strive to meet your every need throughout your stay in order to make your 30th anniversary truly memorable.

Albertville, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family of 5 adults visited April 11 to April 19. The staff and accommodations were very good and the food was great. The hotel was clean and comfortable but you do need to keep the luggage off the floor as there are some insects on the floor once in a while. The pools were very nice and it was nice to have the choice of the active main pool with music and activity and the spa pool for a more quiet relaxing environment. Pablo, Jose, JJ and the entire staff were great! The entire staff wanted you to have a great time and went out of their way to assure it. There were some days when the water did not work in the room for a few hours but this is not a problem when the beach and pools are where you are spending your time at. I would go here again for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

I was glad to read from your review that you had a very good vacation with us.

I hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Make sure you are happy with the room before you unpack! If not request a different room! Stayed 4 days at this location and the water to our room was shut on and off for the first 2 days! Stayed in room 432 and they tried to fixed the AC on the first day which move the temp down from 78 to 72 degree but couldn't get it colder. Had some friends with us too, they switched rooms because their room was to warm.

Room Tip: Rooms 432-439 have very old AC and can't get the room below 72 degrees!
Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent time at Hilton Papagayo. Very friendly staff, especially Pablo, Haber and Arturo. Arturo spent time talking about Hilton and how they operate.

Nice bike ride with pleasant guy (forgot name). May have been best part of trip. Not too strenuous.

Monkeys were in evidence. IT IS HOT THERE. Excellent food. Very relaxing. Just right for us, maybe not so much for thrill seekers.

Room Tip: we stayed in 118. down low and convenient. these are big hills throughout.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

I was glad to read from your review that you had a " Pura Vida " vacation with us.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This resort has an awesome location, very idyllic. It is a big property and the cottage style rooms are nicely spread apart from one another. There is a nice spa, two great very different beaches, and a party pool. But appreciate this for what it is - an older resort that will one day get the update it deserves. It is only affordable to you and I because it is slightly worn. The staff is nice enough, because they are living Pura Vida. The breakfast is outstanding, but beyond that average. The drinks are mostly well, well. The rooms are, well, worn. Everything needs updating and modernization. The bathrooms are, well, bare, like you.

My recommendation is to come if it looks too good to be true, but expect to get what you pay for. This is not the Four Seasons, though the location is as good, which is mostly what you came for, anyway. And soak up the sunset over the bay!

Room Tip: It is quieter by the spa and still a short beach walk to the main resort pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013

I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed our rooms style, Spa, the hotel atmosphere and our “ Pura Vida Staff”

I sincerely apologize if you found our rooms and bathrooms with lack of maintenance. In fact, we are currently working in the maintenance of them. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 stars 3,403 reviews

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!