“Pura Vida” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Papagayo Resort & Spa

You added Papagayo Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Papagayo Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arenilla, Costa Rica (Formerly Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Pura Vida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent time at Hilton Papagayo. Very friendly staff, especially Pablo, Haber and Arturo. Arturo spent time talking about Hilton and how they operate.

Nice bike ride with pleasant guy (forgot name). May have been best part of trip. Not too strenuous.

Monkeys were in evidence. IT IS HOT THERE. Excellent food. Very relaxing. Just right for us, maybe not so much for thrill seekers.

Room Tip: we stayed in 118. down low and convenient. these are big hills throughout.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in write about your recent experience at the hotel.

I was glad to read from your review that you had a " Pura Vida " vacation with us.

I hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Polish first
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This resort has an awesome location, very idyllic. It is a big property and the cottage style rooms are nicely spread apart from one another. There is a nice spa, two great very different beaches, and a party pool. But appreciate this for what it is - an older resort that will one day get the update it deserves. It is only affordable to you and I because it is slightly worn. The staff is nice enough, because they are living Pura Vida. The breakfast is outstanding, but beyond that average. The drinks are mostly well, well. The rooms are, well, worn. Everything needs updating and modernization. The bathrooms are, well, bare, like you.

My recommendation is to come if it looks too good to be true, but expect to get what you pay for. This is not the Four Seasons, though the location is as good, which is mostly what you came for, anyway. And soak up the sunset over the bay!

Room Tip: It is quieter by the spa and still a short beach walk to the main resort pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013

I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed our rooms style, Spa, the hotel atmosphere and our “ Pura Vida Staff”

I sincerely apologize if you found our rooms and bathrooms with lack of maintenance. In fact, we are currently working in the maintenance of them. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us.

York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The all-inclusive package made it worth it. The restaurants served excellent meals although the menu options were very limited. I'd recommend making reservations for one of the 4 restaurants available around lunch time to ensure you get the place you want. Pool was amazing, room temperature. Staff was incredible!!! Buses/shuttles ran 24 hrs and all you have to do is call the front desk and ask to be picked up :) There were some issues with our room and our block of villas had water problems for a few days which is why I could not rate it excellent. I don't have anywhere in the area to base my comparison against but our 3 night stay wasn't great but decent. Other than the food and staff friendliness, the place didn't exceed our expectations. We stayed in other areas of Costa Rica and felt Hilton didn't quite meet other hotels' (none of which all-inclusive but same price range) standards of guest treatment. Simply - we didn't feel catered to or special, just another guest.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel.

I was glad to read from your review that you enjoyed the food, the pool, the room temperature and our friendly staff.

I sincerely apologize that we did not meet or exceded your expectations.We took note of your comments and definitely believe that we could consider some of your suggestions and your observations will be helpful.

denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't believe people pay to stay here... it seems that it was last updated in the 80's and the "all inclusive drinks" aren't even blended and they don't add any real fruit! how can you stay at a resort in the tropics and not have blended drinks? This is a very outdated and neglected hilton hotel- Hilton, you should be ashamed.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for the new rooms (the ones that have been updated since 1980).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013

I would like to express that in our hotel serve blended drinks such as classic recipe from Piña Colada, Stanberry daiquiri, smoothies as well our home made recipe like a Oasis , Palapa or the favorite one from our guest the Hurley Monkey.

Also we would like to remark we’re not consider our cocktail are updated since the 80's. Our signature cocktail menu we future Caribbean Carnival made with local run, mandarin lime juice and ground cherry from the Caribbean Coast ; The Juve morning cocktail is made from dark run , pineapple juice lime juice and fresh strawberries and apple.

I sincerely apologize if you thought we cannot meet your expectations; however our International standards demand to have and fit every guest meet.

Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My spouse and I vacationed at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort with my sister and her partner at the end of February, beginning of March. What a wonderful, picturesque, peaceful, soothing get-away. It totally met all our needs. I found the staff to be very friendly and attentive. It was great to have the 24/7 shuttle as the hilly surroundings would have left me a little short of breath....however, these same hills added to the resort's beauty.

The location was great as we did not have to travel tiresome distances when we went on several tours off resort. And for those days when we stayed put, there was plenty to do. I especially enjoyed the full body massage at the Spa Vida, listening to the soul stirring sound of the waves.

The food was delicious. I tend to be a picky eater, and found so much variety to enjoy along with several healthy options. Though I have not travelled extensively, this is probably my best yet. My favourite place to eat was La Cosecha. The breakfast buffet was delicious...crisp bacon, egg whites, fresh fruit and juices and the list goes on...great start to my day. It was my preferred place to eat because of the many options and because of Anais, a delightful young lady who worked there, who became our friend. She shared pictures and stories of her home and made us a special Easter desert with mangoes from her yard.

The night life was somewhat limited. This was fine with us. All in all, a place definitely worth going to!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel for your recent stay.

I am pleased to know your comments and particularly than that we met and exceeded your expectations.

ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Very nice place quiet and set in the jungle. We have an "ocean front" room (thank god) because some rooms are a huge hike away!!! They have shuttles that run all over so I'm sure that helps bit we are so happy we upgraded. We're in room 100 so that's the closest to everything!!! Howler monkeys right here!! Very cool. Food is really very good. I had a whole red snapper for dinner and it was perfect and fresh! This must be a good time of year because the place is empty! I love that!!! We read reviews on excursions and I think we will book wih the "guy on the beach" Issus tours. Trip advisor ratea them #1 and the kid on the beach was sure to tell is that. compared to the hotel option were booking something wih issus. I'll let u know. I only get Internet for an hour at a time which is good so I get my butt outside!! Lol

• Stayed April 2013

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I hate to say it but I agree with many of the previous comments, quality of the food, state of disrepair etc. The staff are wonderful, pleasant and helpful, some of the nicest staff I've ever dealt with. The resort however is in various degrees of disrepair. Our shower and sink both leaked, paint was peeling in many places, our coffee machine was broken and it took a day to get it replaced. We were at the top, in the 400's, unless you want to walk up and down a pretty good hill, you will need to take the shuttle, or ask for a room closer to the main area. I found that the properties in the lower level looked in a better state from a cosmetic point of view as well. All and all, we still liked this place, but the price is very steep for what you get. We paid $450 per day, I'd be happier at $350 or less. We would not go back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

I was glad to read from your review that you found a wonderful, pleasant and helpful staff.

I sincerely apologize if you found our bathrooms with lack of maintenance. In fact, we are currently working in the maintenance of our bathrooms, rooms and some other areas of the hotel. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us.

Been to Papagayo Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!