“Great Place to Fall in Love with Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$139/person ALL INCLUSIVE
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Place to Fall in Love with Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

My family of four spent the week before Christmas at the Hilton and had a wonderful time. We rented two bungalow rooms (225,226)which had a connecting door. The two rooms made up one free standing unit overlooking the ocean. It was an ideal setup for our family. The rooms were very clean, but small and the bathrooms needed new tubs.
The food was good, not great, but better than I expected. I loved the Italian restaurant and El Dorado. The service was really good and so friendly. Warning: the mojitos are quite addictive. The white wine was really bad. We usually sat by the beach near the main pool and never had a problem getting a chair with an umbrella during this very busy week.
Make sure you walk the trails, I saw monkeys on the trail by the Reception area and a great spot for photos on the trail by the spa.
We did a number of excursions thru Issy's ... went on a jet ski snorkel tour and snorkel boat tour which were both really nice. Also took the tour to Palo Verde the adults loved it, but the boys were bored rather quickly. We saw boa constrictors, lots of iguanas, crocs and fed some friendly white-faced monkeys.
We rented a car thru Alamo and went ziplining in Borinquin which was wonderful. It's a rough road to drive and it might be better to take the tour there. Especially if you can't get a 4x4.
The worst part for us were the mosquitoes. I think they were attracted to my Cutters. Although we never saw a mosquito, they enjoyed all of us but my youngest son who didn't get a single bite!
I would certainly go back and stay in the same rooms. I'd take another bug spray though.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

1,982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Deerfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This was our first experience at a All-Inclusive hotel but first a word of caution. If you plan to stay in the northern part of Costa Rica, plan on flying into and out of Liberia. Because we used miles and upgraded to First Class, we had to fly into and out of San Jose. The roads in this country are at best, poor! The drive back to San Jose' took almost 5 hours.

Because of a bad experience in a Marriott Resort, we were able to arrive at the hilton two days earlier than our original reservation, making our stay six nights. When we arrived we were given a Bungalow room near the Spa and Adult Pool. While this room was very clean and comfortable, the bathroom was in poor working condition. The next day we given the same type room near the main pool and restaurants, which was great. We had a very relaxing stay and that was mainly due to the employees. They don't know how to say no! Anything you need or want, they do it for you. If you want something that is not on the menu or need to adjust what you want to eat, they do it for you. They always address you with a smile and are extremely polite. This is due to how this Hotel is managed. They take very good care of their employees with a large portion of them living on the property. They also give them the oppoortunity to grow in their job.

If it was not for the bathrooms, I would give this Hotel an excellent review! I did have the opportunity to speak to Rui Domingues, the General Manager. As Mr. Domingues explained, Hilton took over this properity four years ago. In that time they have been going through major renovations to the property. They have completed the renovations of the bathrooms in their hotel type rooms and now have started on the bathroom in the Bungalows. Don't let this stop you from staying at the Hilton since our second room was was fine!

To close, if we would go back to Costa Rica, I would absolutely stay at this Hotel. We left with a warm glow as we were treated as all vacation hotels should treat you!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a week at the end of November.

I have read all the reviews and am surprised how some people seem to rate the resort really hightly and some dont!

I think I put this down to a couple of things. We were lucky enough to have a lovely room overlooking the ocean with just grass/trees in front of us - think it was called a courtyard suite.

And secondly the resort was not very full (until thanksgiving which as brits we didnt take into account)

So our experinence of the resort was a lovely room and views; and good service in all the restaurants and bars.

The beach isnt great but I dont think it pretends to be (although you can have a lovely walk along it) and as there is the pool area and grass down to the beach we found this fine for sunbathing - We loved staying around the main pool until the resort got busier then spent our last couple of days at the spa pool which is really a lovely quiet area.

We thought the food was very good - apart from one out of our seven nights we ate in the a la cartes every night and didnt have a problem booking at all.

The mini bar was stocked daily (beer water and cola) and there were always plenty of towells by the pool.

The transport turns up quickly if you call it (some of the rooms are a stee walk from the main area)

We did have a scorpion in our room but managed to slide it out under a cup..

All in all, would definiately recommend this resort, but as I said before think our experience was enhanced by a lovely room and view and also not bei

Room Tip: an ocean view if possible is worth it
Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Papagayo in December 2011 for our honeymoon. We flew into San Jose and drove to Arenal and Monteverde from there, then to the Hilton where we were able to return our rental to Alamo. If you rent a car definitely get a GPS! It made getting around the country pretty easy. We really liked the Hilton. Our room was nice, although it smelled kind of musty and we had some spiders and ants in the room. We called the front desk and the sent maintenance to get rid of the pests, which was good because I'm afraid of spiders. We were in a bungalow in the 300s, so pretty far from the main pool and restaurant, but close to the spa pool and restaurant which I preferred anyway. The spa pool is "quiet" and supposedly only for people over 18, though I did see some children around when I was there. But it was generally less rowdy than the main pool area. The best restaurant in my opinion was the Mediterranean one, but the buffet was fine too, on par with the other food we ate in Costa Rica outside the resort. We went on a jetski tour one day. The wind was blowing a bit that day which made the ride kind of harrowing, but it was fun to cruise around and see a bit of the national park nearby. I also had a massage at the spa which was excellent. Definitely bring your bathing suit if you go to the spa because they have an indoor jacuzzi which was probably the nicest (and warmest) one I found in Costa Rica. There isn't a lot in walking distance of the resort, so if you want to do lots of exploring I would recommend renting a car.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to most of the restaurants and the pools stay in the 100-200s. If you like a...
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed that the Hilton Papagayo for 1 week in December 2011. This is our first trip to Costa Rica.

Rooms:
We stayed in a "Bungalow" style room. Our room was in the 300's which is pretty far from the main buffet restaurant and the 2 a la carte restaurants. If possible, select a room around 100-120. If your stuck with a room in the 300s+, don't worry, the shuttle buses come to pick you up very quickly and take you wherever you need to go. The room itself was very clean. I hate spiders and I think I only saw 1 the entire time.

Food:
After reading some reviews, I was skeptical about the food myself, but it turned out actually pretty good. (I'd say the food is similar to Mexico.) We only had dinner at the buffet one night so I can't really compare, but that was o.k. I don't know what some people expect in a 3rd world country but in my opinion, the selection was amazing. There was always something on the menu for everyone. Not to mention, the service was excellent as well. If you didnt like something, they truly seemed to care and would offer something else for you. Side advice: make your a la carte dinner reservations as soon as you can. Don't expect to walk up to the restaurant and be seated on the spot. They don't like that very much and if its busy, you'll be out of luck.

Service:
As mentioned above, service was excellent. Staff was friendly, helpful and polite. We sat mostly by the pool during the day and the staff would come by and ask if we needed any food or drinks. Tipping is not necessary but we tipped a dollar or two whenever we felt service was up to par. Also, try to speak some Spanish...they like it when you try to speak their language. But if you don't know any Spanish they DO know English. So no worries.

Overall resort:
The hotel is huge, and set on the side of a small mountain. The easiest way to get around is to take the shuttle. The hotel is pretty hilly, but becasue of that, the views from up top are breath-taking. The beach isn't very nice, composed of black sand (due to the volcano) so we stayed by the poolside mostly. However, its quite neat to see that the sand looks different. The good thing about this resort is that their towel service is very lenient. You can take as many towels as you want and they don't make a big stink about it. Afterall, I think they know people don't care to take their towels home with them.

Activities:
If you like to explore, its a good idea to rent a car. We rented from Alamos (in the Hilton) and you can park your rented car in the lot for free every day. I recommend renting a car if you intend to get off the hotel resort. If you want to see some off-road stuff, rent a 4x4. My husband and I rented a compact car, and didn't feel comfortable with taking it off road incase we got stuck. We spoke with some people who tried their "bus" system and apparently it is really confusing and got lost.

Things to see:
We were told to see the following...and that is what we did.
- Arenal volcano (La Fortuna)
- go zip lining
- go see the various beaches along the coast (Playa Coco/Tamarindo/Grande)

We wish we had more time because there is so much more to see in Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country with lots of culture, nature and relaxation. I'd come back to this resort and this country any time.

Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

OMG!! I had the most heavenly week of my life here! All the food, bathroom amenities, and hotel activities were FREE! my favorite activity was stretching on the beach with instructor Mario (who wasn't too bad on the eyes if you know what I'm saying...LOL!!) I was also very fond of the exquisitely detailed paintings hung in the restaurants, because each seemed to tell its own story and really made me reflect and ponder my own life. But my FAVORITE part of my stay was having my very own safe in the room. Being a traveling ventriloquist, it can be tough finding places to keep my beloved puppets safe from harm, so it was a blessing knowing that I could leave my room without having to call someone to watch them. Overall, I didn't have a very good stay because the pool was too deep for my liking and it was a safety hazard for all the other residents in my opinion. Thanks again for giving me the time of my life, Hilton papagayo!! Ps I'd like to make a shout out to my dog root beer float and all my friends at the Honkey Tonk truck stop back home. Keep on "trucking" guys!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I just came back from a week at the Hilton Papagayo in Guanacaste Costa Rica. We stepped off the plane in Liberia and it was an open airport – meaning they had steps to deplane and immigration was open air – no air conditioning. It is a pretty simple set up. Once you are cleared, collect your luggage, etc. you are thrust into the yelling hoards of taxi drivers and shuttle operators. Book your round trip transfers before you go.

This was our first all-inclusive at a resort. We normally either cruise or just stay at a hotel. The Hilton is an older property and TripAdvisor had some comments about the "outdated" rooms. However, the rooms were not outdated – they were a standard hotel room with nice décor, granite countertops in the bathroom, beautiful tile throughout. The bathroom had a walk-in shower with Crabtree and Evelyn products throughout our stay. With that said, the maintenance on the rooms was not great - for example, the caulking in the bathrooms needed to be stripped and redone and they could have used some bleach in their cleaning, but overall the room was very nice. The room has a minibar stocked with Mexican beer (not Costa Rican beer), Coke and diet Coke, and huge bottles of water. All the rooms have balcony's with either Gulf or tropical views. For obvious reasons, we did not stay in the room much anyway (who stays in their room on vacation anyway?) We had a Gulf view, which was awesome, but if you want to see monkeys, coati’s and iguanas get a tropical view.

The grounds of the Hilton were beautiful and well maintained. The Hilton is a sprawling property and it is very hilly, you have to be in pretty good shape to walk around. If you do walk the roads, be careful of the shuttles because the roads are only wide enough for the shuttles, with no place to walk.

Shuttles – the shuttles ran regularly, but you should call guest services before you want to go anywhere on the property. They are diesel and smelly, but essential to get around.

The beach – don’t go to the Hilton or anywhere in Guanacaste for beautiful beaches. That is what the Caribbean is for. The beach is black and tan sand (think Guinness) – black because of the old volcanic lava flows. There have been comments that it is “dirty”, but it isn’t dirt, but the broken up old lava. The water is not great, there are many boats anchored there and you have some oil residue. There is a jet ski rental company on the beach and they use an ATV to move the jet ski’s in and out of the water. There is a distinct gas smell that permeates the beach in the morning and at dusk when they take them out and pull them back in. Both the spa area and the main pool area have palapas with lounges underneath and views of the Gulf.

Kayaking and snorkeling on the property – the kayaks and snorkeling gear are free. Bring alcoholic wipes for the snorkel gear because they don’t sanitize it. There is pretty good snorkeling along the lava rocks to the left and right of the property. You will see yellow, blue, black fish, urchins, and eels. Don’t bother taking a snorkel tour from the dive shop on the property. The Pacific is murky and you don’t see much sea life. Again, if you want to snorkel, go to the Caribbean. You’ll see much better fish.

Coastal fishing tour – you will catch some fish. The guides told us not to deep sea fish during the “dry” season, it is a waste of money as you won’t catch anything. But coastal fishing, you will. You will also see dolphins, turtles, whales, and manta ray’s jumping out of the water.

Palo Verde National Park Tour – it was really good. We booked it through Issy Tours on the beach (see below for the Issy comparison) and it included ½ day tour for $80 pp. Palo Verde was approx. 1 hour from the hotel. We saw crocs, and all kinds of birds. It was wildlife rich. There were white faced monkey’s that came on the boat to see if we had any banana’s or other fruit. Our guide did not have banana’s and said he didn’t like to feed wild monkey’s, but that other tour operators did (ironic because the other reviewers who used Issy for this tour said they did bring fruit for the monkey's and chicken bones for the crocs)

The pools – the main pool area has 3 separate pools, one of which is an affinity pool with a swim up bar. I don’t trust that pool, at any given time there can be a lot of drunk people in it. Makes for good people watching! The bar adjacent to the pool was nice as it had not only a bar area, but also tables on two tiers of decking. I preferred the lower tier because it was quieter and had a better view. There were many children at the resort and that area of the pool was louder. If you want peace and tranquility, go to the spa pool, which has palapas and lounge chairs for the beach. The spa pool has a bar and restaurant and this is where the smoothie bar is located. I loved the smoothies!

There are hiking trails on the spa side and behind reception. There is a wrap around trail off the main pool area (at the rotunda, the sign points you in the direction of the hiking trail), but go at your own risk. There are “stairs” with posts and rope between the posts, but the posts are all rotted. It is treacherous. I would highly recommend you start the trail behind the reception area and travel down to the bench area and come back through reception. The views from there are great, plus you can work off the rice and beans you had for breakfast:) Again, you must be in very good shape to hike those trails. But the views are well worth it. My husband hiked the trail by the spa area and he saw the sunset behind the islands.

The food was really good (although some dishes were better than others). We ate at all the restaurants and the buffets. The service was very good, prompt and professional. If you order steak or pork, it may be tough. I ate both at most of the restaurants and they were tough, even the tenderloin's. Most of the fish dishes were good. I had sea bass one night and it was fabulous! The breakfast buffet was good and mostly American fare, but they did have a few authentic Central American dishes such as the plantains, rice and beans, fresh local cheeses, fruits, etc. The lovely lady at the omelet station made fabulous omelets! Also try their Lizano salsa sauce. It was so good, we purchased a bottle to take home with us. I highly recommend the pork bites for lunch – they were scrumptious. If you order the pork, make sure it was roasted pork.

Service was awesome everywhere. The staff was friendly and spoke very good English. The drink menu was robust with all sorts of fruity frozen drinks, but I found a love for tequila shots. The drinks were not watered down at all and you could ask for a stronger drink if you liked. The bars serve only two types of white wines and two types of red wines Chardonnay and Sauv Blanc / Merlot and Cabernet Sauv.

There are vendors on the beach. The hotel couldn't do anything about them because in Costa Rica, they have a right to solicit you on the beach. None of them were rude or pushy, they were actually pretty friendly! The people selling the clay pottery are wickedly pricey (the vendors wanted $20 a piece). If you go into Coco Beach, you can find the identical pottery for approximately $4-$8 depending on the size of the pottery. There are tour operators there as well and are pretty aggressive. The Hilton has a tour company in their compound they recommend - it is Swiss Tours. Their prices are compatible or less than what the other tour operators have. However, each tour is different. For instance, the Palo Verde river tour is the same price with Swiss and Issy, but Issy is the same for a 1/2 day tour and Swiss is a full day. The Arenal tours also vary - Swiss is less, but doesn't include what Issy does (or what they say it does, don’t trust the brochure) so you have to compare. We met several couples who used “JD” for tours and they all loved him.

It was a wildlife rich environment there. We saw so many species of birds, very colorful birds. I also saw the largest butterfly I have ever laid eyes on. There are Coati’s (a native animal) that love to roam the restaurants. They are a blend of anteater, monkey, and raccoon and about as big as a medium sized dog. They appear to be tame, but they have vicious looking teeth and claws. People feed them, but if you are going with children, keep them away because they are not domesticated. I thought they were adorable, but know they are wild.

There are also feral cats living on the grounds, which can be a problem for some people especially when they make pests of themselves at the restaurants. I love cats so it didn’t bother me.

I highly recommend the Hilton for anyone who wishes to experience Costa Rica. They make your stay enjoyable.

Tips:
• The area accepts US $, so bring lots of cash and you will get a better deal on excursions, etc. If you book by credit card, the Costa Rican tax is 13% and the vendors charge you more. Also, many vendors in the local town of Coco Beach do not accept credit cards. You can exchange to the local currency, but we did not find a need for that.
• Bring lots of small bills for tips (drivers, tour operators, etc).
• The Hilton charges $40 for up to 4 people to go to Coco Beach round trip in a private car. Pricey, but worth it. You won’t want to spend a lot of time in Coco beach – 2 or 3 hours at the most.
• Coco Beach: Sussys gift shop (where the taxi’s and shuttle’s pick you up and drop you off) is a about a block from the beach and features all Costa Rican made products. Sussy’s has the best prices in town. For instance, I was looking for a bathing suit wrap and it was $25 in one of the vendor shops on the main road. Sussy’s had the same wrap for $12. I went into almost every shop there and they all have the same trinkets at different prices. You can “bargain” with the other vendors, but they don’t speak English very well and many things are lost in translation.
• Bug spray is a necessity – mosquito’s are nasty. Bring it with you or it will be a whole lot more expensive there. The Hilton’s restaurants have a big can of Off you can spray yourself with if you are dining.
• If you want to get from the spa area to the main pool/restaurant area without a shuttle, walk the beach. It is a short walk.

Room Tip: We stayed in 429 which was up on a hill and had a Gulf view. I don't know if I would choose the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!