We had a great time during our stay at Allegro Papagayo. Couple of tips... every morning there is an omelette bar. If you are particular about cholesterol, then ask for an egg white omelette. Those who get "regular" omelettes beware... the extra yolks from the egg white omelettes are dumped back into the regular omelette mixture! Take all you want but eat all you take. It is very disappointing to see food go to waste.
The hotel gift shop sells nice stuff (albeit expensive) and they also sell postage! I was able to mail my postcards from the hotel without having to worry about it for the rest of my trip.
We went into the nearest town (Liberia?) for a day. We don't speak a word of Spanish but did not have too much trouble walking around. It was a good opportunity to buy groceries (souvenir coffee, liquer, Lizano sauce, etc) and other "touristy" items (tshirts, postcards).
I would advise going on a tour. This hotel, although wonderful, is very isolated and you run out of things to do rather quickly. The boat ride to the beach on the other side of the bay (provided at no cost) involves reserving space ahead of time. Trekking to Arenal and the Tabacon Hot Springs should be on everyone's list.
The variety show every night is OK. Don't expect Vegas-level talent! The same person that checked you in could very well be the Madonna impersonator that night. :) Still, its a good time.
The dining hall and pool are right next to the beach and the buildings go up the hill from there. The view from the higher buildings are great (we opted for this) but you also have to walk the farthest to the dining hall. Yes, the shuttle comes regularly but we chose to walk to burn off all the calories from gorging on an all-you-can eat buffet.
- Also Known As:
- Allegro Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Hotel
- Occidental Allegro Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Costa Rica
- Allegro Papagayo Gulf Of
- Allegro Papagayo Occidental
- Costa Rica Occidental
- Occidental Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Resort
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Otel, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Allegro Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.