“Wonderful place for the adventurous traveller” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
GTA, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful place for the adventurous traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

Before I review this hotel and Costa Rica I will say this: Do not travel to Costa Rica if you are looking for a pool to sit around a drink all week at the wet bar, OR if you want crystal clear ocean water, a white sand beach, and tropical luxury. If this is what you want, go to Mexico and give'r.

I have read many reviews here by people who obviously did not research what Costa Rica is really all about. I can't believe how many people complain about the pool, random small things about the rooms and other nit-picky things. No one I saw on my stay would qualify as 'royalty', and the people there who didn't enjoy there stay, also didn't leave the pool side.

That being said, those of you who have read about the beauty and natural riches of Costa Rica already know what you are in for. No one in their right mind travels to Costa Rica to sit at the pool for 7 days drinking 'cervesa'.

Hotel:
The Allegro Papagayo was a great hotel to stay in. The pool is big and very pretty, but we only sat there after dinner when no one was around. We didn't have time to swim in a pool, we can do that at home! The beach is black sand, which means water shoes are a must because the sand gets very hot! It's a natural beach too. It has many little hermit crabs and red crabs running around (who hide when they see u or if you hang around) there are lots of shells and rocks scattered everywhere. Costa Rica is like this almost everywhere. Things are left as they are -au naturel! People who like nature, hiking and eco-tourism will enjoy the Allegro because it is a clean, upper end hotel that will offer you a nice clean bed to sleep in and a nice meal after you return from a day at the private beach club (free and with a reservation) or a day on a eco-tour zip-lining, hiking, or visiting nearby cities.

This is what my husband and I did. We spent a good three days on eco-tours, one at the beach club and two at the hotel. Perfect!

Food:
Each nite the hotel has a theme dinner. The food is amazing! The dinner meal varies in selection each night, while breakfast and lunch are similar each day. It is VERY EASY to eat healthy there. A large selection of vegetable done all ways, lean meats, rice and beans, seafood and beef. There is also a salad/cheese/meat bar, a dessert bar and a huge selection of fresh fruit. The fruit and salad unlike many resorts I've been too is protected from bugs and the elements in encased glass with sliding doors. Most of the hot entrees are also in large hot pot type of things to keep them warm and fresh. There are cooks there making certain entrees right in front of you offering food hot off the grill.

Anyone who complained about the food on this site must be extremely picky and needs to have daily hotdog, burger and fry fixes. I come from a Euro background where everyone cooks fabulous meals, I know good food when I have it!

Rooms:
As far as the rooms go, I agree, they can vary. The first room we were assigned wasn't the greatest. It was a ground floor room and the ground floor rooms are much more 'rustic'. My husband and I had a honeymoon upgrade awaiting anyway, and our next room was fabulous.
We were on the 3rd floor with an ocean view. The room was clean with high ceilings and the maid, Rosario, was delightful and gave us fresh towels everyday, cleaned the place spotless, made our bed and even arranged our shoes. Really sweet!

The rooms there have either one king, or two double beds. They are all teh same size and top floor rooms have a higher ceiling, that's it. IF you get a room you are not happy with, be polite! Call the front desk and politely request a room change, without being insulting.

Getting around:
There are shuttles that go around the resort as there are steep hills and a lot of walking. I love to walk and enjoyed this aspect of the hotel. Less active or frail people may find this to be a challenge. I see a lot of reviews where people complain about this, and I'll say it again, Costa Rica is not for your average lazy vacationer seeking sun and ease.

I speak some Spanish and found the staff and people of Costa Rica increadibly helpful and kind. They were patient with me as I practiced my Spanish and even helped me out with a word or two rather than switching to English right away.

For those who do not speak Spanish, most Costa Rican's speak English and very very well as they learn it in school.

Tours:
The people at Charlie's Adventure Tours (office is near the pool) does a great Aqua Combo tour with snorkeling, a visit to a gorgeous white sand beach, caving, a beach bbq, a mangrove tour (if the waters aren't too rough to dock the boat) and whale/dolphin watching. It was only 65$ and it was thrilling!

We also did a trip to Nicaragua which was a fabulous all-day journey that was very eye opening!

The Rincon de la Vieja Volcano hike was great, but unfortunately my husband and I were paired with quite a few people who actually complained through the entire (less than 2hr) hike! There were younger teens/kids running ahead of the guide (which is not allowed) and complaining about being tired and hungry the entire time. I honestly don't know why people sign up for these things if they are not into it. Also, 'a note' for those who have younger kids/teens who aren't into nature, please don't force them to come along, they not only waste your money, they waste other people's money as well who have to listen to them complain if they can't keep their every thought to themselves. The same goes for adults, if you aren't into it, save your money, please!

Signature Vacations has a good booking agent at the hotel.

Vargas Tours (google them) are the absolute best in the biz! Book with Vargas ahead of time. They are great with email, will tell u all about costa rica ahead of time, and will even phone u at the hotel if need be. They also have a first rate reputation.

I highly recommend booking tours as it is one of the only sure ways to experience this wonderful place outside the resort. It's a shame not to leave the resort in Costa Rica! There is way, way, way too much to see and do all around you!

In general:
I honestly can't believe how much people complain on tripadvisor about this hotel! One must always remember that Costa Rica is a developing country and one cannot expect absolute luxury in every way. If that is what you want, book with the Four Seasons. Costa Rica must be appreciated for it's natural rustic appeal and it's untouched beauty.

Most people don't go to Costa Rica looking to 'veg-out'. Costa Rica tends to attract the adventurous types. It's not the Hollywood image of Paradise. Costa Rica is most busy for tourism during the dry season (dec-april) and this means sun and heat everyday, but also brown dry grass and leafless trees. The resorts are watered more, but still, the all the rolling hills are brown, the flowers are few, and the trees are mostly bare. It has a unique beauty all on it's own. They say December is still very green but after that, most things go dormant, like how our vegetation does in Canadian winter (just no snow!)

Vaccinations:
Be sure to have your hep A and B shots/boosters just to be safe! Also our doctor had us take a preventative anti-diarrheal vaccine called ducorex. We also each had a filled prescription for cipro which treats lower respiratory infections, bladder infections and other stomach/intestinal bugs you may pick up that ducorex doesn't vaccinate against. You need to have this precautions in a tropical country. Many people brought children who got sick (as kids do as they get into it all) and had no prevention. That can ruin a trip!

All being said...
In Costa Rica I found a new kind of paradise. I saw how beautiful a natural beach can be. How they greyish white sand has streaks of black volcanic sand, how there is every kind of life in ever little corner -always something moving around, hiding, peeking out at you. It's utterly amazing.

I will return for sure this December. I would definitely return to the Allegro if I don't try something new.

If you are the outgoing, adventurous, nature loving/appreciative type, then you will love this place inside and out. You'll appreciate
all that the Allegro has to offer and you will go beyond that and explore the rest of what Guanacaste has to offer...

If you want to sit around the pool all week and stay inside the confines of the resort, then forget it. You will tire quickly and long for your coddled cushy life back home.

I fell in love with Costa Rica. It was my first time and I couldn't have picked a better place to stay! A+

• Liked — The natural beauty and easy access to eco-tour booking. The food and service was also great!
  • Disliked — The food service could have been open a bit later than at night.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

After booking this vacation my eldest daughter started to read the reviews on TripAdvisor and gave me a tough time. In speaking to my travel agent he suggested I check out the hotel reviews in my city. He was right. Must be a mob mentality or malcontents As a seasoned traveller I found the hotel to be an enjoyable experience. It was a great family vacation.

Check-in - We arrived through a tour company and check-in was accomplished on the bus from the airport. Drinks upon our arrival. I suggest you arrange a safety deposit box as soon as you get to the hotel.

Rooms - A bit shopworn but ours, and the kids room, were clean. They need to renovate but I have stayed in worse and who goes to a resort to stay in their room. The matress was my major complaint, and the gripe of other guests we met. No bugs or spiders in either room.

Hills - The property is beautifully landscaped and built into a hill. We were in building 1, which is the farthest from the pool and buffet. I am 54 and in reasonably good shape. Despite the heat it was never a problem to walk up or down the hill. Never needed to take a shuttle.

Food - The buffet food was quite good and there was a theme every night. Lots to choose from. The seafood night and Italian theme night were exceptional. The restaruants were, despite the complaints, easy to book as long as you didn't want a reservation for that night. The Italian was far better then the Tex-Mex.

Water - Safe but the mineral content makes it binding so buy a water bottle ($2.00) and keep it filled with the filtered water. Lots of places to fill it up.

Pool and public places - Kept clean. Lots of kids but it was the school break. Our teenage daughters made lots of same age friends. They didn't want to leave.

Beaches - The white beach was a blast. Very windy and huge waves when we were there. The beach, on the property, is volcanic grey/black and I think that turns some people off. Take the nature walk, as well, at the white beach. Lots of iguanas, monkies, racoons, ant-eaters, butterflies etc.

Staff - Hard working and very pleasant. A delight to deal with. I suggest taking a lot of U.S. single dollar bills for tips. They appreciate it and deserve it.

Activities - take in the wildlife walks. Lots of monkies and great for birding.

Night time shows - Popular but I found them lame.

Out trips - Playo Hermosa was beautiful. El Coco is a bit scruffy but famous for seafood. I recommend the Papagayo Seafood Restaurant.

Tours - Lots available through 3 tour companies and through private guides. We decided to do the "Mega Combo Adventure" tour through Swiss travel. Despite the name it is Costa Rican owned. Well orginized. Went to Buena Vista Lodge. The zip lines were fun and I could have spent the whole day doing that. The water slide was just a water slide. The food was Costa Rican fare and lots of it. The horse back ride to the hot-springs was also enjoyable. Bring insect repellent.

In summary - Would I go again - no because I would want to experience a new place, and a different Costa Rican province - would I recommend it - unquestionably yes. Have fun and relax.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Rooms need a renovation.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed at the Allegro Papagayo & we had a Blast.
Our room was excellent on the beach which is black volcanic sand. #1512. We were close to everything but the Lobby & Lobby Bar, beside the beach the ala cartes the buffet restaurant the entertainment, & the pools. We had a great time our room was always clean, the beds were great with the cold air conditioning you need some days were smoking hot.
The food was great the buffet served Costa Rican dishes lots of rice & bean dishes (very good). Twice we had a seafood buffet dinner lobster HUGE shrimps clams etc...The Mexican ala carte had great Burritos very hot sauce & excellent Marguaritas. The Steakhouse (La Reeses) was excellent the beef tenderloin melts in your mouth. The best Tiramasu I've tasted also the desserts were great. The breakfast & lunch buffets were great a huge assortment even for the pickest of travellors.
We loved the swim-up-bar with the list of different drinks on a huge piece of wood in front of the bar ( Yes we triied to drink each one on the menu). The Lobby Bar was excellent with a veranda view of the forest especially when the sunsets, Also many white-faced & howler monkeys come out to play. At Paublos Bar (Bistro atmosphere with Piano player) venders come twice a week to sell their wares a real treat with great prices. The Disco at night & games room (with Billiard tables during the day) bar is in air conditioning a real treat in the afternoon sun. It is like Paradise here with many many activities all day long.
The staff bend over backwards to make your stay excellent. Always smiling and cleaning an excellent experience is why I say they Ticos are probably the nicest I've ever experienced.
To have an excellent time there is one gentleman in perticular GianCarlo outstanding individual who made our stay wonderful.
The Beach Club was great a must go especially how fast black sand gets to be abit annoying, A boat takes you to the Beach Club two or three times daily. Sandy beach with hammocks & loungers volleyball. also snorkel equip. to go snorkelling. A bar with beer ( Imperial) not bad or drinks also provided is munchy foods sandwiches burgers nachos hotdogs etc...If you walk down the sandy beach you come across huge volcanic rocks turn away from the ocean to this wooden walkway leads up to bathrooms & another resort. On both sides of the walkway howler & white-faced monkeys HUGE iguanas tons of HUGE trees & plants we went 3 times to the Beach Club to walk this path incredible breath-taking.
We took a few excursions not through the Rep. but at the poolhut (cheaper & much more fun). Horseback riding through the mountains (excellent) & A.T.V. where a few people were injured. A boat cruise to Coco Beach excellent shopping where you can barter the prices. We past by the Trump Yacht HUGE!! We met someone who planned a day for our family pick up at 7am to Liberia shop explore then to the zoo (saw my fisrt Toucan) very good, then to the Las Fuentes Hot Springs Unbelievable Heat we did the mud baths where your skin just glowed. Beautiful Rain forest with trees that could touch the sky. Then we did the zip-lines to this huge waterfalls where the water crystalclear & freezing cold. Then off to view the volcano I never thought Id be this close to a volcano, We visited 3 provinces in one day, Incredible experience we were returned to the Allegro after 9pm this was worth every penny a lifetime of memories in one day.
I do not know how any one could complain about this wonderful resort it really was one of my favs. We are off to Curacao Breezes & hope to have as an exciting marvellous time. Trully a holiday is what you put into it . We have been to Barbados Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, DisneyWorld, U.K. Holland, Italy, Austria, The only place we have visited that we would never return is Mexico we were in Cancun & Puerto Vallarta the corruption level is really to hard to take.
Cheers Rob

Stayed March 2006
Oswego, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

We just returned Feb 27th. First and foremost DO NOT use a credit card
on the phone. It cost me $47 yes forty-seven for a 7 min call.( $15
connection fee and $5-6 / min, I found out after I got home) I was going
to get a prepaid card at the hotel gift shop... they NO LONGER sell
them. So, I asked a girl at the front desk the best way to make a call.
She said creidt card would be about a $1 a min. YEAH RIGHT!!! I did
later purchase a pre paid card at the Buena vista gift shop. They also
sell them at baggage claim at the airport. Mine was $6 for 18 min.
This was my fifth all inclusive...it was about what I expected.
They had different themes for dinner.. mexican, oriental, seafood, Costa
Rican..etc. It was acceptable.
The the hills were indeed steep, about 60 degrees or more and the
road weaves back and forth due to the incline... so it is a long walk.
Once you get to the bottom of the road, you have to go down 3 flights
of stairs to get to the pool area. You may not want to bring a lot of
high heels. It is hard to stay in them.
Most frustrating for me was , that they don't offer any extra
info. SO ask a lot of questions of a lot of different people. The tour
guides seem very helpful. My son wanted to finish his scuba certification
and Charlie's Adventures at water sports offered scuba but no
certification... after calls to other places 35 min away, it was my tour guide
from CAT tours(at the lobby) who told us the Fiesta hotel right across
the bay had a dive shop. They came and picked up my son by boat and
brought him back. If , Charlie's adventures could have offered that
info... it would have saved a LOT of aggravation.
If you leave something behind,,, say at the pool.. especially
overnight,,, forget ever seeing it again. They say they have lost and
found... but then act like the don't know what you are talking about.
Water sports sends you to the lobby, the lobby says water sports. Then
they look confused, then make a big production of looking in cupboards
etc. You would think a hotel this big would have BOXES of items left
behind. My son says they disappear in the "Papagayo" triangle. I think he
is right!!! Or they go home with someone.
As for the white sand beach, BEACH CLUB. you can see it right from
the hotel, to the east down the hill fron the Four Seasons. It is
really more gray than white. There were fewer people and there were howler
monkeys.... I thought they were taking us to an ocean side beach. SO
,don't be terribly disappointed if you don't get there. We did the all
day Sun snorkel tour from Charlie's , it was fun.... they took us to a
beach on the ocean just the other side of Four Seasons. It too was gray.
I think probably most of the beaches in the noth will be like this. It
also looked that most of the hotels... including the 5 star Four
seasons are built on hills. That is all they have in that area.
Beds are hard as they are on stiff platforms not springs. A/C was
noisy.. but i was glad for the cool. It froze up once and I truned it
off to thaw and had no further problems.
It was VERY hot. Almost too hot to sit in the sun and enjoy it.
There seemed to be plenty pool chairs... the trick was to get one in the
shade. Take lots of very light weight clothes.
If you have questions, feel free to contact me at nightingale240 at
yahoo.com. If you have already booked this... it is not 5 star, but it
is not terrible either. If I were do it again, I would not return here.
I would go south to Tamarindo or book a tour that goes to several
places throughout the country.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

Like others, I was leary about staying at this resort after reading the bad reviews. Please take all these reviews with a grain of salt. We had a great time! If you are an average person with an open mind you'll have great time. If you are high maintenance and particular, this is not the place for you. HOTEL - The grounds are beautiful. The pool is great. Never had a problem getting a lawn chair. You can feed the monkeys on the beach in the morning and afternoon. Yes it's steep terrain, but we knew that before going. ROOMS - Average. I can see how people think that they are dirty. They are clean, its just that they have a used worn look. And therefore appear dirty. We did have mold in the bathroom, but it's 95 degrees and humid every day. There's going to be a little mold. FOOD - I thought the buffet was very good considering it's a buffet and they are trying to cater to many people from different countries with different tastes. Compared to other all inclusive resorts I've stayed at the Allegro's bufffet was the best. The Mexican restaurant is good, but the Italian restaurant is excellent. TOURS - Awesome. Loved the canopy tour and the volcano/hot springs tours.

The only minor complaints I have are no clock in room and they were not very good at serving water with your meals. We just helped ourselves to the water at the drink counter in the buffet.

All in all, we had a fantastic time! I would return.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rutherford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

Long story short - this place is not good. I just read some other reviews saying the people that didn't enjoy their stay here are completely off base. The only thing that's "off base" is this resort.
I won't go into every last little detail, but the service was some of the worst I have ever had at an all inclusive and the food was not the greatest, but it was edible. Unfortunately they offer the SAME exact stuff every day so you get very bored with the mediocre selection. Our room was ok - the floor was dirty and the shower looked dingy - but it was livable. The pool was really crowded (though that isn't the resort's fault) but it was really hard to relax since it was pretty small and loaded with kids splashing around AND taking a lot of seats at the swim up bar. The spa was lukewarm and they ran out of clean towels.
Overall, I was pretty bummed with our stay here and would really encourage people to look elsewhere when looking for an all-inclusive in Costa Rica. This place was NOT worth it.

Stayed February 2007
Kingsport, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I can understand why this resort is very appealing to lots of travelers - there is abundant and very good food and all the drinks you wish to order included with the price of the room. The public areas are quite attractive; however, the rooms (including the bathrooms) are small and (at least the one we stayed in) badly needed new mattresses, new lamp shades, new spreads, etc. Every room has a balcony and if you are on an upper floor you should have a decent water view. This resort is located on the bay, not directly on the ocean. Thus, it does not have the advantage of gusty ocean breezes. During our visit, it was very hot - mid 90's or up.

Food is served buffet style except for two restaurants which serve dinner; however, it is difficult to get reservations in the restaurants. If you are fortunate enough to reserve a table, you will find the food and service are outstanding. The buffet area is attractive but fairly crowded and is not air conditioned.

It is not a good location for anyone who has problems walking and climbing. The hotel units are located on the hill side and the restaurants, swimming pools, bars, etc. are all at the base of the hill directly on the beach. While there is frequent van service, there still are steps down to this area and also steps if your room is on the second or third floor. It was particularly challenging to walk uphill with the heat we experienced.

Ironically, while the food and booze are free, the safe lock costs $2.00 per day (I guess to prevent the loss of the keys).

The resort is in a remote location and while there are opportunities for tours, if you wish more mobility you might want to rent a car. It is only 30 minutes from the international airport in Liberia.

All in all, I understand the resort's appeal to certain travelers, but it is not the kind of place I like and I would not return for another visit.

Stayed March 2007

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!