“Myehh” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Myehh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I'll skip the repartee and get straight to it;
PLUS:
•Budget friendly. •Polite people, and •excellent food. I mean SERIOUSLY excellent food. •Views of ocean are gorgeous if you don't mind staying in the rooms at top of the hill. Sunrise is absolutely wonderful if you can get up enough. •Also; (if you like meeting new people) this resort is used by the locals when there are holidays which adds an air of authenticity to your trip. Mother's Day (CR Mothers-day) hit while we were there in august. Instantly the resort was packed for a day.
The NEGATIVES:
•Hotel is dated.. Like maybe one step above Motel 6. Tile in bathrooms had some mold, and no carpet in room. Hard stone tile for all!
•Resort is on side of a hill, so unless you wait for shuttle, you'll be hoofing it up hill after every meal. • Bring your own wash clothes, they actually ran out after the crowd came through. I heard from another guest that there were some issues with AC, but we we didn't have any problems. •Wi-fi is practically non-existent. Maybe near the registration desk, but otherwise... it's spotty if your lucky.
If you're looking for a starting point for excursions, and won't be in room anyway, then this isn't a bad spot. However, if you're going to be spending a lot if time on resort itself, then choose someplace else. Seriously.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Stayed with my wife and 2 kids (16/12) for a week at beginning of August. We had a really great time!! The resort is rated as 3.5 stars and that is just about right. Alot of people expect more and then are disappointed. Not us!! Wifey called the day before to confirm our reservation and very politely asked to be in a certain building on a certain floor. Although no promises were made, to our amazement, we got EXACTLY what she asked for. The room was clean, AC worked great, new flatscreen TV and we had brought some bug spray to help keep the critters at bay. Throughout the whole week, we saw 1 ant and 1 spider in our room. We heard others complaining about their rooms in different buildings farther up the hill, but they were all moved upon request. The maid service was great - room was cleaned promptly everyday with new towels daily - we asked for extra towels/wash clothes and got them. They actually forgot the 1st day, but we called the front desk and they were brought promptly. We had some trouble accessing the safe (extra $$ per day) and they sent someone quickly. Needed an iron - we let the maid know on our way to the pool and it was there when we got back. The day before checkout, they called to arrange to pick up our luggage from the room, showed up on-time on checkout day and assisted us in getting everything to the lobby (which is at the top of the hillside).
The pool area is great and massive, no problems finding lounge chairs - water is super-crystal clear and we constantly saw staffers cleaning, scrubbing, picking up trash around the entire resort. The buffet was very good as well - same stuff for breakfast everyday, which was OK, dinner was a nice variety, but to me, lunch was the best meal everyday with the best variety. We went to the Mexican restaurant, but found the buffet to be better. The snack bar was pretty good as well as neither of my very picky kids EVER complained of being hungry.
The black-sand beach is very nice as well and you walk thru a small forest-like area with TONs of monkeys to get to it. My kids had lots of fun feeding the monkeys. We also saw several iguanas, a bunch of raccoons, and several raccoon/ant-eater looking things - can't remember the name of them - something like "Cuotti"..
As for the bees - yes, there were lots of them. With all the beautiful shrubbery and people leaving their drink cups around, they were unavoidable. I honestly don't feel it was very much worse than other places I've been in the Caribbean, but my son did get stung when a bee got caught under his shirt. HOWEVER, on our 3rd day, we heard a rumor that someone had complained to the US Embassy about the bees and they forced the resort to take action. I don't know what they did (we heard they either sprayed or removed a nearby hive), but the bees almost COMPLETELY VANISHED. The last 4 days we were there, it went from seeing 50-60 bees a day to UNDER 5 by the pool area - AMAZING!! They were still by the bar and drink dispensers by the buffet but nowhere near what it was like when we 1st got there.
The entertainment was good but not spectacular. It was better than nothing and the performers really worked hard. The entertainment staff try their best to get people to participate in various activities by the pool - bingo, volleyball, water polo, water aerobics, etc but if they resort isn't packed, it's tough to pull off. My wife did take their drink-mixing class and had fun and came home with a few recipes. They have a disco that opens at midnight, but again, if the resort isn't full, the disco might be deserted. At least you can go there to get a late-night drink.
Speaking of drinks, please note that they use pretty low quality liquor, as is the norm at all but the high-level all-inclusives. After a few days, although nothing made me sick, I was tired of the cheap stuff and was yearning for some real liquor. However, the resort is really out in the middle of nowhere and I was told the nearest liquor store was in Cocoa Beach which was an $80 cab-ride. If I return, I would definitely stop at a liquor store on the cab-ride from the airport.
We didn't do any excursions (all pretty pricey per person), but we did take the complimentary boat ride to the "non-black sand" beach (it's not really white or pink). They bring food (cold-cuts/fruit) and drinks (full bar) on the boat with you and set up at a small cabana at the beach, which was very nice. Watch your bags though - the monkeys will sneak up and go thru them if you aren't paying attention. And they get you back to the resort in time for lunch.
All in all, I would definitely not pay any mind to the majority of negative reviews. Some people are just impossible to please or have unrealistic expectations. Yes, there are a few things the resort could do for the sake of appearances, like spruce up some of the other rooms/buildings and get some shuttle vans that don't look so run-down. But, for us, there really wasn't anything to complain about for the price we paid. This is a great resort for anyone with kids looking for a nice vacation on a budget.

Room Tip: call night before travel to confirm reservation and politely ask for room in Buildings 10 or 11 2nd...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Our family of five travelled to the Allegro Papagayo during early July 2014. We had two rooms booked. On our bus ride from the airport to the resort we were informed by our Westjet rep that there would be an S-Trip staying at the resort as well. For those that haven't heard of S-Trip, it is a student travel program. There was approximately 150 seventeen year olds running around the resort doing lots of drinking. For the most part they were well behaved, however they jammed up the bars, the pool, and the restaurant. Lots of very loud dance type music to entertain them as well. We would not have booked this resort had we known they would be hosting an S-Trip.

The resort is quite dated, regardless we really enjoyed our stay at the resort. We did not go to Costa Rica to sit in our rooms! There were capuchin monkeys in the trees by the beach who were wild but friendly. There is lots of wild life to see while walking in the jungle. The trip to the "white sand beach" is free and we recommend it.

Our Westjet rep (Dawi from Swiss Travel) was excellent! He arranged our excursions which were fantastic. We recommed the "Mega Combo" - trip to Ricon de la Vieja, zip lining, 1400 ft water slide, lunch, horse back riding, and volcanic mud bath & hot springs.

Finally, we rented a car from Avis and crammed all 5 of us inside (our kids are teenagers). Our experience was great. We spent the day traveling and shopping without any problems.
We all loved Costa Rica and have been telling our friends and family they need to go and experience this amazing country for themselves.

Room Tip: Choose a room nearest the pool due to the walk up the steep hill. Find out if this resort will be ho...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

we visited here the first week of august. We went in with really low/moderate expectations, having read the reviews, as well as having stayed at some less expensive hotels in south america, and not thinking it would be like the nice AI we've stayed at in Mexico. The rooms were dated, but everything worked. Wifi was hit and miss, food was mediocre, but we always found something to eat (usually ice cream) and pool and beach were nice. There were bees and of course with no air conditioning in the restaurant it was difficult sometimes to maintain an appetite

We would still come here again though simply for the wildlife, especially the monkeys!! This is why we picked this place over places like the Hilton etc. We also used this place as a base to do excursions since this was our first time in CR. Every excursion, no one from other resorts that we were with had seen much of monkeys. we literally were with them every morning and evening. it was the highlight of the entire 2 weeks (we stayed here for 5 nights).

The staff was very nice, although they weren't as helpful/outgoing as other places, but again, we got everything that we paid for and we're very satisifed with what we got. Go here mainly for the monkeys, not for a vacation of sitting around the resort, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

P.s. on a side note, there is a trail down below the lobby that leads to where howlers and white face monkeys are.....also, forgot to mention, hills are high, but we never used the shuttle.

Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This nasty place needs to be closed down. There is no way a place this disgusting would ever be allowed to stay open in the U.S. Let's just say I have never written a review and it is too bad this is the 1st one I will write. We got there around 1pm and we were told we needed to stay at the balcony area and we were not allowed to go on the property until check in at 3p. We were also told the wifi worked and it never worked at all -ever. All of the staff know this and blatantly lie to the guests. We were supposed to stay there for 14 days. I paid for a suite. We walked into our room to find 2 twin beds, an un-stocked refrigerator, a very run down room. The beds were all ripped apart on the corners and they felt like sleeping on card board. We asked to be moved to the suite and in about an hour the manager, bless her heart, she was new brought in from Mexico to help turn this place around- but with no money from the owners. She showed us 3 other rooms all had black mold on the walls so we settled with the one with the least amount of black mold because it had a king size bed. There are NO SUITES on this property. This bed too felt like it was made out of card board, very uncomfortable. We turned on the air conditioner and within an hour there was a constant drip on the floor. We put a waste paper basket under the drip and a towel on top of the waste paper basket to drown out the constant splat sound. We left the room to tour the compound. Walking around on this property was quite a work out all the time. It is very humid in Costa Rica and virtually none of the AC works very well anywhere on this property. The dining room was open air and had a netting around it to keep the animals out. We dripped sweat every time we ate there. Oh ya there was a CROCODILE one the beach so no swimming on the beach either. Ya I paid $4000 for this vacation and this place was pure hell! I mean hell. We only endured 2 days before we went the their sister resort across the bay which cost us another $1069. Seriously my boyfriend and I have traveled to a lot of places and have never asked to change rooms or move locations this was a 1st for both of us. We read all the reviews off of TripAdvisor before booking and thought people were just being mean. NO that is not the case. People are truly trying to warn you about the nastiness of this place. There are teenagers from all over the world who come there to party and get laid. They don't care about mold and crocodiles and steep incline walking, (almost straight up and down). The parents who send there kids on this trip have to be crazy. I did not mind the kids drinking and partying at all. They were actually happy because of the freedom they were all experiencing. They could have slept on concrete and have been happy! The manager and a worker named Lorena were both very kind. Lorena suggested we move to their sister resort which was much more NORMAL. Indoor dining non moldy rooms etc which is what we did. What a hassle and such a downer. We just could not stay there the facility was horrible! Also there is 1 rickety van that hauls hundreds of people around this compound. There is no way you want to walk up or down because of the steep incline. There is also no way to avoid this because your room is up on the hill and the pool and dining area are down the hill at the bottom. I am positive this place only stays open because of the thousands of teen age kids that take their senior trip there. If there parents only knew what a disgusting pit this place is they would never let their babies stay there. When I was checking out (which took another hour), a couple in there 40's were checking in and the hotel staff lied to them about the wifi also. I did speak up and tell the people there is no wifi and told the staff not to lie to people anymore. I had to get out of there, I was becoming one of "those People".!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This was my first all-inclusive experience and needless to say I was very disappointed. This property is in true need of any up-grade. The rooms are very unattractive and far from what the professional pictures show. Toilets, room phone, and air condition broke. No WIFI except for the main check-in lobby. Food lacked seasoning in the buffet area, no variety, same thing night after night. The food in the restaurants were exceptional however seating is VERY limited, better be there by 8 AM to book if you want get in and they only allow one restaurant reservation per three night stay. My BIGGEST issues were the bugs. BEES and FLIES everywhere, you will not be able to eat or drink in peace unless you are in one of the two restaurants for dinner. Each meal I spent the entire time swatting my hand during breakfast and lunch. When they say it's a nature zone they are not lying but still they needs to be some type of grounds keeping to reduce the number of bugs. The best time I had was when I left the grounds of the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the pool are better....building 10 or 11.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I will begin by saying that the staff at this hotel, in the restaurants, goes above and beyond their call of duty to make your stay enjoyable. I cannot rave enough about Ms.Alba and Carlitos at the buffet and Italian/Mexican restaurants. Thank you and Kudos for all of your hard work.
The hotel itself is ok. The grounds have amazing views of the ocean. The pool was amazing and this hotel is family friendly. Like other reviewers mentioned, you also get what you paid for.
This hotel is about 20-40 minutes away from Liberia's International Airport. About a $50 taxi ride away. It is one of the least expensive All-Inclusive hotels in Costa Rica. The check-in desk can use a bit of training as they make you wait a long while before they try to acknowledge you. And even when the rooms are ready, they will NOT let you in before 3pm. However, they do welcome you with a nice fruit drink to hydrate yourself from the heat of Costa Rica. Did I mention it's a rainforest area and it is HUMID like 100% of the time??? OH and let me mention that the lobby of this hotel lies in the top of a hill and there is a steep grade road to go down to the rooms. There is a shuttle that comes by to pick you up and drop you off but it's very inconsistent and only runs at certain hours and they will NOT accommodate you if you have a flight to catch at hours that the shuttle doesn't run. So be ready for that. Also be careful with the rooms you get. Building 10 and 11 had good A/C but building 6 did not. The only good thing about buildings 1,2,3,4,5,6 is the view. And like other reviewers have mentioned, WATCH OUT FOR THE BEES. There are MANY of them all over the place. And they WILL STING you. Most of these bees have consumed their fare share of alcohol and are so buzzed that they land on people and for the most part just sting them. If you are allergic, I strongly recommend that you carry your epipen because you will be stinged at one point in time during your stay. Also, there are raccoons everywhere ready to steal your food and drinks. Oh and did I mention the monkeys? They are quite cute. Also beware of the beach area. The day we were leaving they had warnings for beach swimmers as there were a lot of crocodiles spotted swimming near by the beach.
The hotel website can be a little deceiving as far as some of the details. The hotel is all-inclusive but there is no room service as the website describes. There is also no mini-bar in your room and for the most part the small fridges in your room will not work. We were is a large group of people with several rooms and most of us either did not have A/C or any hot water. There are also slots for pool towels but it was hard to find the place that issued the towels and almost impossible to get them to trade out for a clean one daily. Also be aware that the lights of the resort COMPLETELY GO OFF after a certain hour. Leaving you in complete pitch darkness to try to figure out how to get around their grounds. I will have to say this hotel is NOT HANDICAP friendly or accessible. Our friend in a wheelchair almost did not leave the room for lack of ability to get him around these grounds. Carry a flashlight with you. Our departure flight left Costa Rica very early and we had a taxi to catch at 4am and not only was it extremely difficult to climb down 3 flights of stair in pitch dark night but we also had to climb up a super steep grade to the lobby with all of our luggage in once again complete isolation and darkness. I can safely say that I love Costa Rica but this hotel will not be on my return list.

Room Tip: Do not get room 630. The AC did not work, the refridgerator did not work, there is no easy access...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!