“Nothing but the facts” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Skiatook, Oklahoma
“Nothing but the facts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We came here August 2nd through the 9th and had 4 people in our group. We thought the food was pretty solid considering it was an all inclusive resort. There is a ton of bees around the entire resort though. IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO BEES DO NOT GO HERE! The bees are pretty docile and will generally just swarm around the liquid drinks and leave you alone though. They offered something different every night we were there. We also ate at the Italian restaurant one night and the Mexican restaurant one night. The Italian one we thought was much better and had a bigger selection. The Mexican one had a lot fewer food choices but worth going. If you can only choose between one of them then hands down you should choose the Italian. You do have to go all the way to the front desk in the morning to reserve the dinners though and can not do it by phone, I would recommend doing it early in the morning as it fills up fast. Also I would recommend getting a little bit later reservations so the A/C will have a chance to cool the rooms down a bit. I would also highly highly recommend getting building 10 or 11, if not you will be hiking up some steep roads. The pool is very nice and they have water polo and water volleyball daily there. People do tend to leave their drinks around the pool and attract swarms of bees to them though. The pool bar was staffed daily and it was nice to be able to get a drink while hanging out in the pool. There was plenty of chairs around the pool for everyone with shade if you needed it. The alcoholic drink selection was pretty good, but the liquor is rot gut cheap stuff, take a shot of it and it will be like rubbing alcohol. The beer is pretty good, it is a cheap imitation of Corona and goes down easy. While we were there we did notice that there is always a group of young teens 13-17 probably that would find a way to get wasted and cause drama. So if you have a kid at this age you are bringing with you keep a close eye on them. The beach was good I thought with plenty of chairs to relax on out there, It was very shallow and could wade out pretty far even in high tide. As soon as you step on the beach there is people trying to sale you pots on a towel or trying to get you on a tour of some kind. I recommend just telling them you already have tours booked so they will leave you alone, and giving a firm no to the people trying to sale you pots if you want to be left alone. They will leave you alone and let you enjoy the beach though so its not really that big of deal. We also went to the other beach that the resort takes you too, and it was a fun day. I would highly recommend going to check it out. If you are a smoker you will have to go to the beach to smoke, they are very strict about that. It's really not that far of a walk from the pool/bar area to the beach maybe 50' or so. There is lots of monkeys on the beach and will eat out of you hands if you bring them so bananas or plantains chips. They are fun to watch and take pictures with also. There is a lot of insects in Costa Rica, so bring lots of insect spray if they bother you. Also bring twice as much sunscreen as you will think you will need, it is very easy to get burnt there. The hotel rooms are just that, nothing special if you need a nice room and bathroom to have a good vacation do not go here. They are basic and the bathroom is not very big. We did not have any issues with our A/C in the room, but it would have sucked very badly if we did have issues. If you absolutely need WIFI do not go here, it is pretty much an elusive mythical figure here. If you have to call home while you are here I would highly recommend getting a prepaid phone card. When you arrive you get 2 towel cards and the towel store by the pool opens at 8 and closes at 5, if you lose a towel expect to pay a hefty fine, so keep a close eye on your towels. The shows at night are entertaining, mostly just dancing though. After 11 the regular bar closes and the disco bar opens. The disco bar is actually the Mexican restaurant and it is usually filled with the teenagers that cant handle their alcohol as I mentioned previously. All in All we meet some really cool people while we were there (HELLO NEW YORKERS) and we had a lot of fun. It was a great escape from the states and we would come back to Costa Rica in a heartbeat. We will never stay here again though, due to it being so far away from everything it is way to hard to go and explore the true Costa Rica. The hotel does offer a round trip to COCO beach for 80 bucks for 40 people and 10 extra for each person after that. If this hotel had been closer to any type of shopping or town it would be great place to go again. If you just want to relax in one place for cheap then this is the place for you. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, PURA VIDA

Room Tip: Stay in building 10 or 11 if you don't want to hike up the side of the hill. Pay the extra money...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

First thing you must remember about this hotel is that it is the cheapest all inclusive in Costa Rica. So the overall value I think is pretty good. The resort is on the side of a very steep hill which provides excellent views of the bay but is not for those with any mobility issues. There are shuttle vans that run often around the property which are great but you still need to go down 2 and a half flights of steps to get to the pool area. First lets get to pluses of the resort. The service staff were all very good, friendly and fast with no delays to get drinks or food. The food for a 3 star resort was good. Never went hungry and the snack bar was open all day with burgers, hot dogs and pizza which would be great for kids. The beach is black sand that can get a bit hot but is very clean and shallow so great again for kids to safely play along the water edge with very calm water. The monkeys at the beach where very nice to watch and feed as they seem to be very tame and used to us humans.
Now for the minuses, The rooms are very very basic. The bathrooms are poorly designed and maintained. The housekeeping while friendly was very hit and miss in fact on one day the room was never made up. Another day no towels ect. The only good thing about the room was that we had a brand new air conditioning unit and it was fantastic. The restaurant is out doors with no AC so dinner can be quite hot. There is a bit of a bee problem mostly around the drink machines as they are attracted to the sugar. Never had a problem with them eating at the table though. The liquor served is the cheapest worst I have ever had. No flavour at all. The only decent liquor was the tequila. Beer was good Imperial draft served very cold.
So in conclusion this resort is decent value for the money but you must be able to relax and enjoy the good stuff and let some of the bad things go and relax and enjoy your time there.

Room Tip: Ask for one with new AC units
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed at Occidental Allegro with my family for a few days. Worst decision ever! We were looking forward to staying at a nice resort which is definitely not what we received. I will give a break down of everything based off of my experience.

The food: The main reason we decided to stay at an all-inclusive resort was so we wouldn't be spending too much money on food. Don't count on that. The food is crap on crap with more crap on top. The first night we got there, we were all starving after dinner because nothing was edible. There is absolutely nothing nearby so we would have to drive for 30 minutes to an hour to find food elsewhere. I resorted to eating my baby nephew's cereal to hold me over until breakfast. Breakfast and lunch are decent, but nothing great. Also, if you are terrified of bees as I am, this is not the place for you. I wasn't able to eat in the dining hall because you are surrounded by bees. We tried to take our food to our room so we could eat it, but we were stopped and told we can't take the food out of the hall. The swimming pool is also surrounded by bees since people leave their drinks out around the pool. Eating food in the dining hall was a very terrifying experience for me!

The rooms: The rooms are pretty ugly, but it didn't bother us much. The TVs are a joke, but I guess you can't expect a nice big flat screen. In the room I was in, the bathroom door would not close all the way. The lock was on the wrong side of the door, but it didn't make a difference since you couldn't close the door anyways. Every time someone opened the front door of the room, the bathroom door would fly open. Pretty embarrassing as I was sharing a room with my brother.

Housekeeping: One night we return back to our room and notice our towels were not restocked when the room was "cleaned." I call the lobby to ask for my towels. They apologized to me and said housekeeping was closed so I would have to call back in the morning to get fresh towels. Umm we just returned from the beach and have sand all over us, we need to shower! She told me I should have called sooner to get towels. I'm sorry I expected them to restock with fresh towels and we were out all day since we are on vacation. Also, beware of dirty towels!! Most of the "clean" towels had brown and black spots on them.

Maintenance: One night, our AC went out in the room. I very kindly called them to ask for it to be fixed. I understand things like this happen and it's out of their control. I was told someone would be up to take a look in 15 minutes. I call them back about an hour later after no one showed up. I am told 15 minutes again. Now, I call back 2.5 hours after my first call. This time I am not nice about it as it is about 1 AM and we would really like to sleep. Someone finally comes about 20 minutes later. He tells us it is a problem with the compressor and we need to switch rooms. They don't have any rooms left around our family, but we still agree as we need AC. We do request that we not have to move our things out until the next morning as we are incredibly tired. He agrees and leaves. We wait a while for someone to get back to us about the room change. After about an hour of not hearing anything, we give up and pass out in a boiling hot room with no AC. I think it would have felt better outside. The next day we still don't hear anything. I have to walk down to reception and raise hell before they are able to fix the problem.

The amenities: When booking, it says they have a beach/playa in the resort. This "beach" is a swimming pool area. It is a nice pool area (surrounded by bees as mentioned), but when you are coming from a place with no beaches, you want an actual beach, not a swimming pool. The closest beach is 30 minutes from the resort and it is not a very nice beach. If you want to go somewhere nice like we did, it is 1.5+ hours away.

The staff: The only reason this "resort" is getting 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the staff. The people are very nice especially the shuttle drivers. I feel like I became friends with a few of the shuttle drivers and they made my ultimate experience with the hotel much better.

Please take my advise and DO NOT stay at this joke of a resort. You can find much better resorts for around the same price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I booked this hotel in celebration of my birthday. Thank God, I was only subjected to stay here for 2 1/2 days or my trip and view of Costa Rica would've been ruined. They overbooked due to a Holiday in Costa Rica and upgraded us to the Occidental Grand Papagayo which was like going from the slums (Allegro) to the palace (Grand Papagayo). Of course we didn't return and paying the difference for the extra days was not an issue.

PROS: The views are priceless, grounds well kept, exterior of buildings look great. Lots of natural beauty and wildlife.

CONS: The Food including the specialty restaurants was a joke. Breakfast was ok. Other than that, it was inedible and tasteless with no variety....same food for lunch and dinner. They should remove all-inclusive from their name. The food isn't worth it and there is nothing nearby so you have no choice. Lets not forget the flies, bees, & wasps everywhere! If you have an insect problem...the main dining area should not be outdoors. Customer service by Management and Staff left much to be desired...re-training and some English lessons wouldn't hurt. They behaved as if they were on vacation...way too laid back! Wi-fi was non-existent except for spotty service in the Lobby. Considering your on vacation to relax and disconnect, this was not a major issue for me. However, don't offer it, if you don't intend to provide proper service. The attempt at Entertainment was ok but we weren't interested. Last but certainly but not least, if you are not in reasonable health or a condition to walk, DO NOT stay here! The grounds are very steep and hilly. Most of your time is spent waiting and riding the shuttle (beat-up minibus with ripped seats and a sliding door that stays open) to various parts of the resort. Nothing relaxing about that! Thank God they offer it but I believe its to avoid guests going into cardiac arrest from all inclines. Lets not forget the 30+ stairs walk up and down to the pool area and restaurant. The rooms were basic and kept clean...similar to a Econo Lodge in the States.If you insist on an Occidental property, choose OCCIDENTAL GRAND PAPAGAYO and avoid Allegro Papagayo like the plague! I'm done...good luck to anyone who takes a risk and stays here.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the Restaurants and pool area are ideal since you'll spend a lot of time there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My family of 5 absolutely loved it here!! We stayed here from June 6 through June 9, 2014, after we spent one week at Condovac La Costa. It was an incredible value (we got one room with a Groupon and our kids’ room on Orbitz with a 20% off promo code – the Groupon deal was for only 2 people – it was extra for a third person – but the Orbitz booking allowed us to have 3 people in the room – so read the details carefully everywhere when booking this hotel).

It was great from the minute we arrived until the sad minute we had to leave. We had no problem getting reservations to the fine dining restaurants all 3 nights we were there. We also got reservations on the boat to the private island both of our full days there with no problem. The buffets had a wide variety of choices so that even my 3 picky children (ages 19, 17, and 9) always had a lot that they loved to eat. I’ve never seen them eat so good (though it wasn’t so much fun cleaning up the food that came back up when my 19-year-old – who is legal there – had too much to drink and got sick).

Our first experience with monkeys was on the beach of the private island that the hotel’s boat takes you to. It was like being in the middle of the monkeys’ playground! There were dozens of white-faced monkeys hopping from tree to tree, swinging under branches, and eating out of your hand. There were many monkey mothers with baby monkeys on their backs. We took lots of pictures and videos. Be sure to take fruit off the breakfast buffet to the island. We had no idea there would be monkeys there. If you don’t have any, the employees that serve you lunch in the pavilion may have bananas. They did when we were there. They serve all the cocktails you could want on the island, but the only food, unfortunately, is bologna sandwiches with condiments and fruit. However, you get back to the resort in time to still eat lunch at the lunch buffet. So don’t worry about missing lunch. Eat a big breakfast, bring some snacks, and eat a big lunch when you get back. Our teenage boys didn’t want to go with us when we went to the island (we hadn’t know about the monkeys). We told them about how exciting it was to see, watch, and feed the monkeys. So they went with us to the island our next day (our last full day there). However, unfortunately, the monkeys were not there that day. When it was time to go, we got on the first boat (a small boat takes you out to the larger boat). Then the crew went back to the beach to pick up the rest of the people on the island to bring them to the boat also. Then we heard the people on the island says, “The monkeys are here!!” So they did come – just much later the second day because they were there the entire time we were there the first day. Our last morning there we walked to the hotel beach (a black sand beach) after breakfast and saw those white-faced monkeys right there in the trees on the hotel beach! They were also very friendly. We went back to get bananas, and they ate out of your hand also. The island and hotel also had many local raccoon-type animals (coatis). Despite looking like wild animals, they would come up and want to eat out of your hand also.

The view was to-die for. We had a great view of the ocean/gulf from our room. They also had good shows and entertainment. The air conditioning stopped working once, but it was only a fuse. Same thing happened to our kids' room, so it must be a common problem. They promptly fixed it. All in all, you can't beat the price - it's only a like more money than a hotel. I'd heard the food was bland, so I brought hot sauces and spicy condiments from home. I didn't need them. They have a local tasty sauce called "Salsa" in stores and they also have Tabasco. Everything was really great. Wish we'd had more time there, but we stayed at a boring timeshare (boring compared to this place, anyway) our first 7 nights and only had 3 nights here.

I researched local tours to do and found a local tour guide who was recommended in several TripAdvisor reviews, so I wanted to definitely list him in my review. I prearranged everything with him, and we got to see and do everything we wanted at an extremely reasonable price. His name is Herson Segura (herson03@yahoo.com). Since we had teenage boys and a 9-year old girl, we had many special requests. He customized our tours according to what we wanted, and it saved a lot of time, money, and hassle. We did extreme ziplining, ATVing, deep sea fishing, the Rincon de la Viejo Mega Combo tour (w/o ziplining since we had wanted the extreme ziplining somewhere else instead), the Arenal tour, and visited Tamarindo Beach. He pointed out a lot of wildlife (Howler monkeys, Toucans, and he stopped the van so that we could see a sloth which was on a power line). And he speaks English fluently. I would highly recommend contacting Herson to handle all of your tours and transportation in Guanacaste. See my article in the Guanacaste/Attractions section.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view are worth the little bit extra they charge per night. Amazing views!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Friendly staff, great food, black sand beach with great scenary and wildlife. There are wasps but we were not stung. If you leave them alone they won't sting you I suppose. There is a $2 charge per day to use the safety box. By the resort it is black sand beach which I enjoyed. Everyday except on Tuesday there is a boat that takes people for free to a white sand beach if you prefer the white sand. If you love nature, you will love this place.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 10 and 11 have wifi access most of the time. We stayed in room 1016 and the A/C wo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

My number one problem was the bees those things are everywhere. For example, I was at the buffet eating lunch when I took a drink from my cup there were already three bees inside. Very bad experience overall definitely would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!