“Drinks were terrible” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Drinks were terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Drinks were terrible. Liquor was the absolute bottom of the scale and they would pour only a little bit of liquor. I'm not a big drinker but I expected to have decent drinks while on vacation and didn't. The hotel charged me $2 a day to use the in room safe, unreal and also charged me to use the Internet WOW! The food was good and plentyful. If your looking to spend time on a real beach there is not a real beach there. It looks more like a dirty swamp. Instead of sand it's this black muck that makes your feet filthy black. The beach is more of a lagoon. Overall, I did love the location of the resort.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
Bagaces, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have been in Allegro Papagayo for a weekend in the middle of July, and even the hotel was FULLY BOOKED we received all the time a great service from every team member. The food was good and all the rest services was great. Our special thanks to Fabian Chacon who made everything to our satisfaction. We would like to come back in low season to double-check the great services they have. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Astoria, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Summary: either they've made great improvements, or those who provided negative reviews are full of crap and/or don't know how to follow directions. We encountered absolutely none of the issues claimed by others before us. Read on for details, but basically...I completely recommend this resort and had a wonderful visit. The facilities are great, the staff are phenomenal, and the location is beautiful.

I stayed at Allegro Papagayo with a friend on our first visit to Costa Rica, and we are 110% pleased with our experience. I was a bit worried as I read the reviews prior to our trip, and a lot of people had a lot of complaints about this place. From what I can tell, the people making those complaints simply didn't follow directions.

The hotel is very remote, a 30 minute drive from the airport. This didn't bother me, as I live in NYC and am used to spending at least 30-45 minutes to get from the airport to anyplace meaningful. We booked a "shared ride" from the airport to our hotel through Swiss Travel. It was $50 roundtrip per person, and on both trips we were actually the only customers so we got the discount of a shared ride with the courtesy of a private shuttle.

We arrived before check-in, but were promptly provided with resort bracelets, safe storage for our luggage, and a shuttle to the meal location so we could eat and explore the pool/beach until we could check in.

The pool is huge and clean, I absolutely loved it. The black sand beach is a great place to see white faced monkeys and coatis, they literally walk right up to you. It also has a gorgeous view of the bay and mountains. Some people complained that it's far from any white sand beaches and that cab rides were expensive to another beach. This is probably true, however it's also unnecessary. The resort provides a boat service to a private white sand beach every morning, you just have to sign up the day before.

The resort also includes free kayaking, snorkeling, entertainment and shows, etc etc. We stayed 5 days and still didn't have time to do everything that was offered so...yes the resort is remote but there's really no need to leave the resort either, therefore the remoteness is largely a moot point.

They team up with Swiss Travel (who has an office located right by the lobby and check in area) who offers canopy tours, ATV tours, hiking, snorkeling, horseback riding, zip lining, and a number of other packages I've forgotten. These are all for an additional fee, but the prices are reasonable, and much cheaper than if you try to plan out your own excursions and use cabs to get around. There's no sense in doing all that when the resort provides everything with attentive and polite service (in english or spanish) and at reasonable prices.

We stayed in building 11, which is right by the pool. Some people complained about the distance from the buildings to the pool/food/etc. which are all down at the bottom of quite a big hill. Maybe this service didn't exist when you guys visited, but the resort offers a shuttle van service between the lobby, each of the residential buildings, and the pool/recreation areas. The van runs every 10 minutes (and was reliable every time we used it, which was quite frequently), and you can also dial 0 to call the lobby and request a van if you can't wait the ten minutes.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, try to avoid buildings 10 and 11 as these are right by the pool and r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
sherwood park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It was our first time to Costa Rica and I was very pleased with what we received for the money we paid. Our rooms were very clean, the food was great, the black sand was very hot so we walked over to the next beach and it was gorgeous. Great waves and crystal clear water. The hotel is on a hill and the walk can be difficult for some people but they do have a shuttle that runs every 5 minutes so if you don't want to walk they will shuttle you. The staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to help us. We met people at other resorts and they seemed to have nicer hotels but were warned not to go out at night. we were able to roam where we pleased as well as they had bad rip tides where we had none. I enjoyed feeding the howler monkeys that came every morning after breakfast as well. The only problem we ran into was the internet. It's not worth paying for as we struggled to get a connection no matter where we were on the property. We went water rafting and had a fantastic time with our guides. we highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tilaran, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Love the place, so clean, friendly staff. Activities and shows are awesome. I will come back for sure! One of the best things are the activities and shows , these people really work hard and keep you busy and make you feel welcome. Bar at pool maybe a little slow.

• Stayed April 2013
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here in the "rainy season", Aug 2 - 9, 2013.
I read ALL of the reviews prior to booking to avoid disappointment. I thought I would add my two cents.

The Good:

- The beach
Contrary to what some thought, I loved it! I felt completely alone some mornings/evenings. The wildlife: Cranes, manta rays, stingrays, puffer fish, angel fish (and other tropical kinds), snapper fish, sea urchins, white-faced capuchins, howler monkeys, some kind of dog-like cutie, some weird snouted raccoons, and more! I brought my mask, fins, and snorkel, got free sea kayaks from the resort, and paddled out to the pier and wow! What a great dive :)
At night, the stars were gorgeous, and the lighting off in the distance was magnificent.

- The food
Lots to choose from - quality and quantity. Jeez people, it's not like you have to cook or clean, enjoy it! The Mexican resto was fabulous and accommodating - we didn't have a booking, it was our last night, but they found us space. Gracias! The kitchen manager Jimmy brought us a plate of dinner after ten - our day trip to Nicaragua came in late, and he was so kind to us.

The ok:

- The Room:
I was angry at first about not having coffee, an ironing board, or fresh soap, but hey, it is a 3rd world country. It didn't upset me too much in the end. Imagine what they don't have say in Nicaragua?
We never used the t.v., and literally only slept there. Who cares? I came to Costa Rica to explore, not to lounge around indoors.

- The climb:
Seriously, if anyone ever complains about the "hike" again, I don't know what I will do.
There were so many shuttles, the steep hill was NICE to climb after a big meal or a few too many drinks.

The bad:

- Yes, the water tasted like crap. No, there weren't bottles stocked in the fridges EVER. We had to walk 2 minutes to the Crystal cooler. Again, 3rd world country. Most people should be so lucky to have a 2 minute walk to nice tasting water. Honestly, it was the least of my concerns.

The ugly:

- Definitely too remote. While that adds to the beauty and tranquility, be prepared to spend a lot of coin on a car rental (VERY OVERPRICED AVIS) or activities that cost over $100 a pop. After two days, we were ready to go do stuff, and the 40 ish minute drive to Liberia was long. For a week, it was certainly not sooo bad - we ended up driving to Arenal and La Fortuna and spending the night to make it worthwhile (and it was!).

I hope my review has been helpful. If you are frugal, and not too picky, def stay there, especially if you love animals, exploring, and nature!
Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We paid for the room upgrade to see the bay. It got us nearer to the lobby but further from the food...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fullerton, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of this resort is very remote, you need a taxi every time, we paid $50.00 to take us to a white sand beach, travel time was over an hour. The place it self is not too bad but the black sand beach, the isolated location makes this resort very unattractive.

Room Tip: bathrooms are moldy and very small, very cheap shampoo, no conditioner
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ItzeSocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear I_J2013,

We are located at Gulf of Guanacaste, in one of the country's most beautiful coastal regions. Surrounded by countless natural attractions, like pristine beaches, rain forests and active volcanoes, this is a place which will appeal both to those seeking a place to relax in a unique setting as well as those who are looking for fun and exciting activities.

We regret you haven't enjoyed the beauty of our location.

Thank you for send us your review.

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!