“Think twice!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Think twice!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our room was very adequate and had a great view of the pool and the bay. The best thing about this resort is the friendliness of the staff. The waiters in the main dining area are very friendly and helpful, but understaffed. The 2 specialty restaurants were closed 2 of the 3 nights we were there and on the third night the Tex-Mex restaurant opened but the main dining room closed - and I don't really like Tex-Mex food, but had no choice. Didn't always get that warm fuzzy feeling that facilities were clean, and they were definitely showing age (see photo of table and napkin).
The entertainment staff do an energetic show at night, but during the days they are best at playing Hide and Seek - they hide and guests try to find them. In fairness, one of them told me that they work 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., so I can understand being tired. Activities could be better managed, i.e., if they're trying to gather people to play pool volleyball when it's scheduled at 10 a.m., they would probably be more successful if they would make an announcement over the loudspeaker and then go to where the pool volleyball net is. Instead, they stand on the far side of the pool near the stage and wait for guests to come there, but since guests don't know to do that, no one or only a few show up and then the staff cancel the activity because there's not enough interest. Very frustrating!
The facilities are pretty run down and not well maintained. The pool water was cloudy the entire time we were there and had lots of crud floating on the surface. Staff manually skimmed the water once or twice a day, but it did not seem like the pool filtration system was working. It was too bad because the pool would have been very inviting. There was a gigantic pair of men's Calvin Klein briefs on a pool lounger the entire time we were there (see photo), even though I did see staff straightening up and collecting cups and plates each evening. It was gross!
Our first sight of their ping pong table on the beach was a surprise (see photo), but then we found out they have another one that they can set up in the amphitheater. You should bring your own balls though, because both of the ones they put out to play with were dented and one was cracked (see photo). That did make for an interesting game.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Sue T,

Thank you for sending us your comments. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your room and the friendly service that our staff provide; however I’m saddened to know that we did not meet your expectations overall. I’ve discussed your comments with our housekeeping manager to review your comments about the cleanliness of our resort and I assure you that measures will be taken to improve our standards. Also, please know that we’re renovationg our property and refreshing our grounds to improve the guest experience.

I’m concerned by your experience with our restaurants and reviewed this with our food and beverage manager and executive chef, as they are always looking for ways to improve our offerings and service.

I’ve addressed your comments about our entertainment with the Fun Club manager, as his team typically works very hard to organize a variety of activities and contests during the day.

We hope to have the opportunity to demonstrate our high standards of quality during your next visit.

1,522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations given the grumpy reviews about the hills and black sand beach. There is nothing about the black sand that a pair of sandals doesn't solve. You may want to bring a pair that stays on so you can wear them right into the water, otherwise just kick of the flip flops and toss them a bit upbeach out of the waves. As for the hills, there is one steep one so perhaps those complainers didn't realize there are also low- slope switchbacks? In any case the shuttle runs regularly. We found the food better than the three stars we stayed at in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Varedaro, Cuba - neither of those offered fish and the Allegro had beef/pork, chicken and fish everyday. Our week was made even more special for having included Easter weekend as the hotel was full of lively and loving Tico families who were very friendly. Do not write this one off.

Room Tip: The terraces are such that even some first floor rooms have an ocean view; we lucked out in 614. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Orange, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I came here with one of my best friends last June. It was a part of a JetSet vacation package. We didn't really have a choice of where to stay, this was a part of the deal. We are both in our late 20s and were looking for a relaxing trip filled with food, drinks, and a few adventures. We are both low budget travels so our expectations were set pretty low. This place, just like most in Costa Rica, was special because of the people who work there. My best advice is to stay here knowing that while this is no 5 star resort, you can really have a great experience by getting to know the locals.

RESERVATION RESTAURANTS:
These are included in the all-inclusive deal, you just have to make a reservation even though when I went in June, both places were empty. I thought the food and selection was better at the buffet, but if you want something different than it's worth it. I'd have to say the food was altogether not really the highlight of Costa Rica.. until we splurged and made a reservation at the 4 Seasons that kind of overlooks this resort and the Bahia Culebra. If you rent a car and want to have a really good meal, call there and make a reservation. Get the ceviche.

POOL:
The pool is massive and shallow so you can grab a drink from the pool bar and wade around. The activities team try their hardest to get people to join various games in the water. The biggest issue I had with the pool is that it's only open until around 6pm. It's such a tease to go out at night and see this beautifully lit pool and find out you can't go for an evening swim. I'm sure it has to do with being understaffed.

BAR:
There is only 1 kind of beer: Imperial, which is fine because I really liked it. The drink menu is kind of a smorgasbord, lots of different kinds of drinks using canned fruit juices. I'd recommend sticking to the beer! They have pool tables and Foosball.

ACTIVITIES/EXCURSIONS
Definitely sign-up to take the "ferry" to the white sand beach, but be prepared to wade into the water about chest-deep to get into the boat. NO ONE informed us of this, so thankfully i didn't have a lot of stuff with me, I had to hold it over my head to get to the boat. The snacks they serve you are better used to feed the Coatis and Raccoons. You come back to the resort in the afternoon, right when it's white-face monkey feeding time!(rab a banana from the buffet)

We also signed up for a river float trip through Charlie's Adventures.. we KNEW we were probably spending double what it should have been, but honestly, it was worth it for how convenient everything was.

Overall, I'd say if you're expecting a luxurious resort with dreamy rooms, incredible cuisine, and impeccable cleanliness, you probably wouldn't like this place (but then again a lot of the resorts are like this so maybe Costa Rica isn't for you) If you want a memorable trip filled with the most wonderful people and sites, then this hotel not so bad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We arrived on 3/31/13 and were told the hotel is shutting down for renovations in a week...which was a few years too late! Don't expect a pampering experience...the bathrooms have no bathtubs; only dingy showers. Our a/c went out 2 nights out of the 6 we were there. The food variety was horrible...rice and pasta everyday. They only opened the ala carte restaurants after half of the guests complained for 3 days straight. The kids "activities" are a joke! ...they ask the kids what they want to do, then the staff plays with them...not much organization to that. On a better note...The staff works hard, but just so little to work wiht! Playing with the monkeys on the beach make you forget some of the disappointments from the resort.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a beach view; 2nd and third floors are the best and Bldg 10 had a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear EdB26,

Your experience was beneath the standards that we set for ourselves, and for this I apologize. Feedback like yours in how we improve our service and coach our team so that we may prevent errors in the future. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the service for which we are known for and make you have unforgettable vacations with us.

Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very hard working staff! Especially the waiters! They could use more help! Owners cheap out and take advantage of the staff by making them run their butts off to the point of exhaustion in that heat! Don't use Charlies Adventures...I cancelled a dive trip because of very poor visability (don't plan to dive here) and they "said" they refunded me but I will now have to fight for the refund. Great spot. Ignore poor comments about the hill because you never have to walk due to the shuttle every few minutes. No ATM and 20 mins. cab ride to get cash or anything else. Food was very good! Bring enough sunscreen because they charge $25 for it in their giftshop! If your drink of choice is white wine it is not......tastes like an apple cider(which I don't prefer to drink). You must say "with rum" or you get your drink without...

• Stayed March 2013
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

we stayed Friday to Friday 3-22 thru 3-29.....yes it was Holy Week and spring break.

Really enjoyed our stay with a couple suggestions for improvement. Very hot - in the 90s every day. clean and staff is friendly but not 4 star service
would recommend they open all the restaurants when the resort is even half full to give better dining options. like the free pool and games in the bar area by the pool.

we loved the swimup bar but would have liked to have it staffed a bit better late afternoon. we did pull our own beers a couple times as one bartender was working the swim up bar and the pool side bar.
liked that they had a designated quiet area of the pool but this fell by the wayside by Thurs as the resort got fuller each day. the monkeys came out in the late afternoon to get bananas from the kids. people fed them despite all the signs saying " do not feed the animals".

if you are from the US, be aware you will be in the minority, behind Costa Ricans and Canadians. There's no Splenda or light beer at the resort and they use local liquor brands - Costa Rican or Panamian rum. They tried to charge for WiFi but told us we could get a refund if it didn't work, which it didn't. you can get internet access in their business center. didn't understand why the lobby bar wasn't open at all. it had great views and would have been a nice place for a drink in the evening.

we did 2 snorkeling trips thru Charlie's Adventures and went to CoCo Beach on our own in a cab, which was fun. Ttrips were fun and food was good. One snorkeling trip almost went awry due to drunken misbehaving Americans who had to be rescued from a cave on the beach by our guide. they were very lucky Bruno is a good swimmer.

overall a good vacation and a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view was great but be aware you might hear the nightly show until 10 or 11 pm some nights
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just returned from a week at this resort.Really enjoyed the resort. Weather was the hottest I have experienced, probably high 30's each day but for the most part dry heat. Great in the evenings for playing pool (free) with the boys.

Best ocean views we have had at any resort. Made sitting on the balcony a pleasure.

Staff were very pleasant. Oscar is a special guy as were Jimmy and Eloy. Learned a lot of interesting things from these folks. Thanks for making the trip so much more enjoyable.

Food was good. Always something good to eat and always looked forward to our meals. Basic healthy diet of bean and rice, fresh fish and fruit. What more could you want.

Rooms were dated but clean. Kind of like my house so I felt right at home.

fantastic undeveloped beach. Couldn't ask for more

Only down side to the trip was I lost my camera. I left it on the counter in Charlies adventures one afternoon just before closing. Went back after 15 min and the shop was closed. I could see in the window and my camera was gone. I didn't worry too much as I thought at least the staff member I had booked my trip with (Danielle?) had seen it and I would pick it up the next day. When I went back the staff said they hadn't seen it. It never did show up even with my email address labeled on it. I hope who ever picked it up enjoys it!

Room Tip: 3rd floor for the view. Building 5 was good for being able to walk both up to the lobby and down to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!