“March 2013 spring break very hot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
chicago
“March 2013 spring break very hot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

we stayed Friday to Friday 3-22 thru 3-29.....yes it was Holy Week and spring break.

Really enjoyed our stay with a couple suggestions for improvement. Very hot - in the 90s every day. clean and staff is friendly but not 4 star service
would recommend they open all the restaurants when the resort is even half full to give better dining options. like the free pool and games in the bar area by the pool.

we loved the swimup bar but would have liked to have it staffed a bit better late afternoon. we did pull our own beers a couple times as one bartender was working the swim up bar and the pool side bar.
liked that they had a designated quiet area of the pool but this fell by the wayside by Thurs as the resort got fuller each day. the monkeys came out in the late afternoon to get bananas from the kids. people fed them despite all the signs saying " do not feed the animals".

if you are from the US, be aware you will be in the minority, behind Costa Ricans and Canadians. There's no Splenda or light beer at the resort and they use local liquor brands - Costa Rican or Panamian rum. They tried to charge for WiFi but told us we could get a refund if it didn't work, which it didn't. you can get internet access in their business center. didn't understand why the lobby bar wasn't open at all. it had great views and would have been a nice place for a drink in the evening.

we did 2 snorkeling trips thru Charlie's Adventures and went to CoCo Beach on our own in a cab, which was fun. Ttrips were fun and food was good. One snorkeling trip almost went awry due to drunken misbehaving Americans who had to be rescued from a cave on the beach by our guide. they were very lucky Bruno is a good swimmer.

overall a good vacation and a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view was great but be aware you might hear the nightly show until 10 or 11 pm some nights
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

1,545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just returned from a week at this resort.Really enjoyed the resort. Weather was the hottest I have experienced, probably high 30's each day but for the most part dry heat. Great in the evenings for playing pool (free) with the boys.

Best ocean views we have had at any resort. Made sitting on the balcony a pleasure.

Staff were very pleasant. Oscar is a special guy as were Jimmy and Eloy. Learned a lot of interesting things from these folks. Thanks for making the trip so much more enjoyable.

Food was good. Always something good to eat and always looked forward to our meals. Basic healthy diet of bean and rice, fresh fish and fruit. What more could you want.

Rooms were dated but clean. Kind of like my house so I felt right at home.

fantastic undeveloped beach. Couldn't ask for more

Only down side to the trip was I lost my camera. I left it on the counter in Charlies adventures one afternoon just before closing. Went back after 15 min and the shop was closed. I could see in the window and my camera was gone. I didn't worry too much as I thought at least the staff member I had booked my trip with (Danielle?) had seen it and I would pick it up the next day. When I went back the staff said they hadn't seen it. It never did show up even with my email address labeled on it. I hope who ever picked it up enjoys it!

Room Tip: 3rd floor for the view. Building 5 was good for being able to walk both up to the lobby and down to...
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overpriced for Canadians - great deal for Costa Ricans - looks like Canadians are subsidizing the Costa Rican guests who get the hotel for a 5th of the price yet the same or even better service.
Lame service, mostly mediocre food with lack of imagination in variety, greasy chair covers turn you right off, most rooms haven't been maintenanced for years - AC's not working and hanging in shreds, safety deposit boxes cost $2 per day and stop working, you don't get a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants if you don't plan days ahead with no guarantee which restaurant you will get and don't try to book after 5PM as they don't take any reservations after 5 - the whole hotel seems lots in an 8 - 5 mood despite the fact that their guests are on vacation 24/7.
The pool we never entered in 10 days as the lining is off, rust is there and it doesn't look clean - saw an ancient cleaning machine who seems to do nothing.
The soap holder came off whilst I was in the shower. Lucky for me it just missed my toes. The grime under it wasn't dealt with for 2 days straight and the rust nails that stuck out after threatened to meet your skin for the rest of the vacation.
Some staff is really on their toes but lots are just going through the motions.
The evening entertainment is cheesy and goes on your nerves real quick.
The beach is full of cigarette butts, straws, tile parts - the works. Would be a nice beach for families as all shallow and no waves and very warm water. Sand is vulcanic and very soft.
Room size is good and bathroom size too, beds were good, so it has potential and if I got it for $50 per night per room all inclusive like the Costa Ricans I would have considered it a good deal but at $238 a night (we were three) - it is a rip off.
Nothing much to do there. Kajaks are free to use but - mind the guy's schedule - you never get it right so I got one once outside of his lunch or his 5PM closing time or being closed because of wind (not that there was a sign or anything to clue you in).
The drinks are undrinkable for the not so drink hardy as they use no name brands from Panama and local and often don't use a shaker on the cocktails so it is all at the top or bottom and tastes like 100% pharmacy alcohol.
It was our first and possibly last all inclusive.
Gladly we had a car and did a lot of trips on our own and were mostly not at the resort. I would have gotten super ticked off if I had been locked up there. There are no other resorts or restaurants or cities closer than 40 minutes away. I usually like the secluded very much but if the resort is so bad you have to get to alternatives.
Our travel consultant didn't even know we were there and was surprised when we toasted our plans the last day to meet his limited hours of availability and actually met him. He was very helpful when we did approach him. Nolitours was our supplier and they don't even inform you of the initial meeting schedule or anything, yet they talk about VIP treatment. There was none.
We heard the last day that they had more maintained rooms. They were never offered despite our multiple complaints with the front desk. We had golden wristbands which was supposed to mean something as we were told by staff, yet, we got nothing better than the bare minimum.
We even found some brand name drinks but if you want those, you have to pay for it.
You also have to pay for internet, which doesn't work half the time.
As I said it has potential but it wasn't maintained well and is managed badly.
I won't miss it. Spare yourself the disappointment.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are further from the pool and evening entertainment and quieter. In building 11 are the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Canadagoose2006,

I sincerely apologize that your recent stay at Allegro Papagayo fell below your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing guests with the highest quality product and service, and we regret that this is not what you experienced. Rest assured, your feedback has been shared with our management team, and is being addressed accordingly with our staff. Also, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are undergoing renovations to our main pool and public areas.
It is my hope that when returning to Costa Rica you will allow us to host you during your stay so we may show you the true Allegro Papagayo experience.

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it is clean and the staff is super friendly. The monkeys on the beach made it a 5 star for me! The black sand beach is very cool and the beach club beach with the white sand is beautiful. The food is average, but the typical Costa Rican food section was very good.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I love Costa Rica, and the reason I do travel here is to get out of the "American way of life". I find the minimalism to be quaint and cozy. This resort is on a steep hill, so beware of that, but there are constant shuttles. The food isn't that great, but it's edible and fresh. The beach is black, so if you're looking for a traditional beach, this is not the place.

I found the staff to be so friendly. The pool and bar is great, and we really enjoyed afternoons in the lobby, reading our books and having some Imperial.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I came here with three of my friends last May. We had a blast. As soon as we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with such warmth and hospitality by the staff. We got to know many of the staff members, and they were very quick to help and accomodate our needs.

If you are looking for luxury, then perhaps you should be looking at a five star resort. However, for a group of people looking to do excursions, and needing a relaxing place to sleep and eat, then the Allegro Papagayo was perfect. The rooms are outdated, but they are kept cool and clean for the guests. We even had a bottle of rum and a bottle of guera greeting us at our rooms when we arrived. The food was delicious, and we were served fresh fruit, seafood, and more traditional Costa Rican foods (gallo pinto= amazing). We were so satisfied with the buffet that we never even thought of booking a meal at the a la carte restaurants. The beach view is beautiful, and you are often sharing the shore line with capuchin and howler monkeys.

Most of the resort is built on top of a steep hill. Unless you book an ocean view room, you will get stuck having to walk the hill just to get from the dining area to the room. However, there is a shuttle service that goes from the front desk to the bottom of the hill every 20 minutes or so. My friends and I welcomed the exercise, and did not take the shuttle at all.

By far, my favourite part about the trip was the excursions.

Fishing and Snorkeling with Charlie's was our most relaxing excursion, and one of the least expensive. At the time it cost about 70 per person. We were taken on a boat about half an hour away from the resort. We were served beverages and fresh fruit aboard the boat, and we fished for about an hour. we went snorkeling in the middle of the ocean where we saw puffer fish, stingray, and several smaller species of fish. Afterwards, we were taken to an island where we were served bbq, along with the red snapper caught on our fishing trip.

If you are looking for adventure, try ziplining in Monte Verde, or hiking in Rio Celeste. We also went to visit the Arenal Volcano. Unfortunately, when we went, it was very cloudy, so we only saw the base of the volcano. We were able to visit the hotsprings surrounding the Arenal, and they were beautiful! Literally like going to mother nature's spa!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

They charge you like most modern hotels but the hotel is completely outdated. The rooms need urgent remodeling. The pool is losing its color. The food is fatty and not good at all. If it wasn't for the great service and the excellent views to the ocean this would be a 1 star review.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!