“2.5 Stars and not an inch more” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Papagayo

You added Allegro Papagayo to your Saves list
Allegro Papagayo
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Manzanillo | P.O. Box 48-5000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Edmonton, Canada
“2.5 Stars and not an inch more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overpriced for Canadians - great deal for Costa Ricans - looks like Canadians are subsidizing the Costa Rican guests who get the hotel for a 5th of the price yet the same or even better service.
Lame service, mostly mediocre food with lack of imagination in variety, greasy chair covers turn you right off, most rooms haven't been maintenanced for years - AC's not working and hanging in shreds, safety deposit boxes cost $2 per day and stop working, you don't get a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants if you don't plan days ahead with no guarantee which restaurant you will get and don't try to book after 5PM as they don't take any reservations after 5 - the whole hotel seems lots in an 8 - 5 mood despite the fact that their guests are on vacation 24/7.
The pool we never entered in 10 days as the lining is off, rust is there and it doesn't look clean - saw an ancient cleaning machine who seems to do nothing.
The soap holder came off whilst I was in the shower. Lucky for me it just missed my toes. The grime under it wasn't dealt with for 2 days straight and the rust nails that stuck out after threatened to meet your skin for the rest of the vacation.
Some staff is really on their toes but lots are just going through the motions.
The evening entertainment is cheesy and goes on your nerves real quick.
The beach is full of cigarette butts, straws, tile parts - the works. Would be a nice beach for families as all shallow and no waves and very warm water. Sand is vulcanic and very soft.
Room size is good and bathroom size too, beds were good, so it has potential and if I got it for $50 per night per room all inclusive like the Costa Ricans I would have considered it a good deal but at $238 a night (we were three) - it is a rip off.
Nothing much to do there. Kajaks are free to use but - mind the guy's schedule - you never get it right so I got one once outside of his lunch or his 5PM closing time or being closed because of wind (not that there was a sign or anything to clue you in).
The drinks are undrinkable for the not so drink hardy as they use no name brands from Panama and local and often don't use a shaker on the cocktails so it is all at the top or bottom and tastes like 100% pharmacy alcohol.
It was our first and possibly last all inclusive.
Gladly we had a car and did a lot of trips on our own and were mostly not at the resort. I would have gotten super ticked off if I had been locked up there. There are no other resorts or restaurants or cities closer than 40 minutes away. I usually like the secluded very much but if the resort is so bad you have to get to alternatives.
Our travel consultant didn't even know we were there and was surprised when we toasted our plans the last day to meet his limited hours of availability and actually met him. He was very helpful when we did approach him. Nolitours was our supplier and they don't even inform you of the initial meeting schedule or anything, yet they talk about VIP treatment. There was none.
We heard the last day that they had more maintained rooms. They were never offered despite our multiple complaints with the front desk. We had golden wristbands which was supposed to mean something as we were told by staff, yet, we got nothing better than the bare minimum.
We even found some brand name drinks but if you want those, you have to pay for it.
You also have to pay for internet, which doesn't work half the time.
As I said it has potential but it wasn't maintained well and is managed badly.
I won't miss it. Spare yourself the disappointment.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are further from the pool and evening entertainment and quieter. In building 11 are the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Canadagoose2006,

I sincerely apologize that your recent stay at Allegro Papagayo fell below your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing guests with the highest quality product and service, and we regret that this is not what you experienced. Rest assured, your feedback has been shared with our management team, and is being addressed accordingly with our staff. Also, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are undergoing renovations to our main pool and public areas.
It is my hope that when returning to Costa Rica you will allow us to host you during your stay so we may show you the true Allegro Papagayo experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it is clean and the staff is super friendly. The monkeys on the beach made it a 5 star for me! The black sand beach is very cool and the beach club beach with the white sand is beautiful. The food is average, but the typical Costa Rican food section was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I love Costa Rica, and the reason I do travel here is to get out of the "American way of life". I find the minimalism to be quaint and cozy. This resort is on a steep hill, so beware of that, but there are constant shuttles. The food isn't that great, but it's edible and fresh. The beach is black, so if you're looking for a traditional beach, this is not the place.

I found the staff to be so friendly. The pool and bar is great, and we really enjoyed afternoons in the lobby, reading our books and having some Imperial.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I came here with three of my friends last May. We had a blast. As soon as we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with such warmth and hospitality by the staff. We got to know many of the staff members, and they were very quick to help and accomodate our needs.

If you are looking for luxury, then perhaps you should be looking at a five star resort. However, for a group of people looking to do excursions, and needing a relaxing place to sleep and eat, then the Allegro Papagayo was perfect. The rooms are outdated, but they are kept cool and clean for the guests. We even had a bottle of rum and a bottle of guera greeting us at our rooms when we arrived. The food was delicious, and we were served fresh fruit, seafood, and more traditional Costa Rican foods (gallo pinto= amazing). We were so satisfied with the buffet that we never even thought of booking a meal at the a la carte restaurants. The beach view is beautiful, and you are often sharing the shore line with capuchin and howler monkeys.

Most of the resort is built on top of a steep hill. Unless you book an ocean view room, you will get stuck having to walk the hill just to get from the dining area to the room. However, there is a shuttle service that goes from the front desk to the bottom of the hill every 20 minutes or so. My friends and I welcomed the exercise, and did not take the shuttle at all.

By far, my favourite part about the trip was the excursions.

Fishing and Snorkeling with Charlie's was our most relaxing excursion, and one of the least expensive. At the time it cost about 70 per person. We were taken on a boat about half an hour away from the resort. We were served beverages and fresh fruit aboard the boat, and we fished for about an hour. we went snorkeling in the middle of the ocean where we saw puffer fish, stingray, and several smaller species of fish. Afterwards, we were taken to an island where we were served bbq, along with the red snapper caught on our fishing trip.

If you are looking for adventure, try ziplining in Monte Verde, or hiking in Rio Celeste. We also went to visit the Arenal Volcano. Unfortunately, when we went, it was very cloudy, so we only saw the base of the volcano. We were able to visit the hotsprings surrounding the Arenal, and they were beautiful! Literally like going to mother nature's spa!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

They charge you like most modern hotels but the hotel is completely outdated. The rooms need urgent remodeling. The pool is losing its color. The food is fatty and not good at all. If it wasn't for the great service and the excellent views to the ocean this would be a 1 star review.

• Stayed March 2013
cweb1210
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I just came back from our spring break vacation 3/17/13-3/23/13.

Resort: resort itself was nice, pool could use a bit of work. Courtesy desk is on the top of a hill and quite truthfully a pain to get to unless taking the shuttle. You have to book any dinner reservations at the front lobby so I would recommend seeing them after you have checked in etc. The beach is neat. lots of great shells just watch for sand fleas. We were a bit itchy after being in the sand for a bit.

Food: food was average. Gaillo pinto (rice and black beans) was our favorite part of the menu. I enjoyed the fruit selection and was happy that it didn't cause me any sickness. The two restaurants are located behind the buffet area next to the snack bar. We made reservations for both but only ate at the Mexican. Sadly, they ran out of chicken so I couldn't have chicken fajitas. The beef fajitas were good and my husband had as an appetizer the mushroom something or other. To me it tasted similar of a spinach artichoke dip (yummy!)

Room: Room was nice. We were in building 5 so not to bad of a climb up to the top from the pool, but when booking through cheap Caribbean we chose a queen size bed and was given two full size beds. We didn't say anything though since we used the other to lay our clothes out.
We did call several times to the front lobby without response and for one of our trips had to be at the front by 5:30 therefore requesting a wake up call but did not receive one. I would bring your own alarm clock if you feel it necessary because ours did not function.

Excursions: Please read this!! Charlies Adventures Coco beach ride is a waste of your $$. Take the bus at 10 Am into town and get a taxi back. We spent $35USD each with the understanding that the boat would pick us up at 1:00 PM It didn't arrive until 1:45 and we didn't get in until 2:00. Additionally some crazy Canadians were rocking the boat back and forth and the driver of the boat said nothing. In truth I thought we were going to tip. We made it to Coco beach at 3:00ish and only had until 4:30 to do shopping. The lady at the desk made it sound like we'd have time to shop, have dinner, etc. etc. but we didn't. So my husband and I bartered with a taxi driver to bring us back to the resort for an add'l $35USD. What a waste! Now hotel beds on the other hand was a great great use of our money! The trip to Nicaragua is an amazing experience. For $140USD/person You travel the entire day throughout Nicaragua seeing Granada, Christ of Mercy, Lake Nicaragua, the two volcanoes etc. You get breakfast and lunch. What a great trip. I would go through them again.

Costa Rica: A beautiful country some place that I would revisit. Overall a very friendly country with ecology in mind. We had amazing weather 90 - 100 degrees Fahrenheit each day.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just got back from staying at this property. We also, as others could not wait to leave. We had to take a shuttle to the office almost every night to get either towels or washclothes, along with coffee of clean glasses. Yes, we called the front desk many times but to no avail. One night all we received were 4 bath mats, no towels for wash clothes. While we understand that a 4 apple does not have the ammenities of the 5 or 6 apples, we just needed the basics. One day we did not receive any glasses, I stepped outside to hail a maid and she did not understand what I was asking for so I pointed to some dirty glasses in the hall. She must have assumed I wanted dirty glasses because she went into the room next to me and gave me two dirty used glasses. The pool is pretty from a far, but it is run down. There were multiple chucks of concrete out of the pool, and quite a few of the chaise lounge chairs were broken. Very dissappointing with the property as a whole, but the most disappointing was the cleanliness.

Room Tip: Very few rooms with a king bed, so I was told at the desk. Almost all rooms have two double beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Daisy31735805,
Thank you very much for your sending us your comments about your recent stay with us. Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the lack of service that you encountered during your stay. It does not reflect the outstanding service and attention to details we strive to be known for. I can assure you that we have immediately addressed the situation with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers in order to prevent any future occurrence.
We would be honored to welcome you back in the near future, and I stand at your service to personally ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sandra Alcázar
Social Media Coordinator
socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!