“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Sedona, Arizona, United States
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have traveled to Belize a number of times and stayed in a variety of places, Belizean Dreams is among the best. The accommodations are excellent, the grounds lovely and the staff very friendly - smiling an greet you by name. The location on the Caribbean Coast with full access to some of the most beautiful water in the world is hard to beat. With a drink from the ocean side bar in the shade of a palm tree - I think I could stay here of ever.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Creston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We got off the Mayan Island Airm hopper from Belize International, at Dangriga airport. We were met by Wenzel, manager of the Belizean Dreams Resort. The van had ac, but it was a cloudy day so it was quite comfortable for the 30 min trip south, to Hopkins Village. The trip went fast , i think we were joking with Wenzel.
Arriving at Belizean Dreams , we were met by smiling Felipe and Liz, the asst. manager.We soon got our keys, and Delmore, a grounds keeper i believe, along with Liz, showed us to our suite ........ as soon as i stepped inside i could smell the hardwood. The room was great , a large mahogany wardrobe, King size mahogany four poster bed , mahogany coffee and dining table and hardwood floors. The ceilings had exposed beams of beautiful wood. Did i mention the mahogany? it may have been teak.
The bathroom was tiled all round with two beautiful ceramic sinks and a large open shower. Everything was very clean. We had one of the upper suites, they are smaller than the ground floor ones,which had a kitchen and living room.
We started things off with a welcome drink of rum punch, happily given to us by Jose , the bartender. He is a great guy and always seemed to be laughing. Jose would be making our dirty bananas, herny monkeys, and other tasty drinks, along with ideas for things to do in Hopkins.
Next was food :) The Woven Palm restaurant had a choice of eating outside or inside. The menu, http://www.belizeandreams.com/belize-hopkins-restaurant , boasted some good food and we were not disappointed. We met the head chef Luis senior and another chef, Luis junior (no relation) , we ordered Jerk lobster on coconut rice with, wine and sugar glazed carrots, for dessert,a light cake, that melted in your mouth.. with ice cream, and that was just the night we got there. We had many more unbelievably delicious dinners ahead of us.My breakfast was just as yummy, with banana pancakes , fruit and crispy bacon. I would alternate between pinapple and banana for the rest of the week. You have to try the fry jacks and johnny cakes.
Our servers, Cheriese, Kenima, Huestes and Tricia were fantastic. I couldnt help but feel we were getting special treatment, and we were. I would look forward to seeing them everyday, it was like visiting with friends who waited on you :)))
There were many tours ; snorkeling, cave tubing, zipline , Mayan ruins....etc. During are stay we chose the zipline, and the Mayan ruins tour. Our driver for both these adventures was Bernardo, wearing shades and sporting a gold tooth he looked like a member of Los Lobos.
On the Mayan ( Xunantunich) tour, Bernardo was a wealth of information and a great guide, we had some good laughs and learned alot. The Bocawina Zipline was great. Our safetys, Jose and Ronald,were funny guys with a load of information on the fauna surrounding us, and they were very professional. I think both tours are a must, plus, you make good friends along the way.
I cant leave out Jay and the cleaning staff, our room was always impeccable when we returned from the day. Thank you.
I could go on and on , but everyday was as good as the one before if not, better, fantastic food, friendly people who would bend over backwards for you, and beautiful, 5 star surroundings.
Hands down, the best vacation ever. We'll be back for sure.
Did i mention the food was outstanding? folks came from other resorts to eat here.!!!
Dont deprive yourself, stay at Balizean Dreams and bask in the hospitality.

p.s. thank you Hamanasi, for defaulting on our deposit, if not for you we would have not discovered Belizean Dreams...just awesome

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Delta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We got there just at the end of their rainy season, so we only had 2 days of full sun. The rest of the time there were clouds and some rain, including a terrific electrical storm. The temps were between 25-29 degrees Celsius on the cloudy days, and over 30 on the sunny ones. Perfect weather for me, as I don't like crazy heat.

The resort has 9 villas, with 3 suites each. Even at full capacity, there would only be about 50 people there. There were only 8 guests total while we were there, and we never shared our villa with anyone else...we had the whole building to ourselves. We were in 6a, which was perfect for us: a view of the beach and ocean, but far enough away from the bar and restaurant that the music/voices of the late night partiers weren't an issue.

Belizean Dreams was truly amazing. The staff are all outstanding...very very friendly and accommodating. The servers at the restaurant--Tricia, Kenima, Shariese, and Huestes--were engaging, friendly, and exquisitely trained. It was kind of like having hilarious English butlers. As lovely and humourous as they all were, it was clear that they took their jobs seriously. (We practically begged them to call us by name, rather than "sir" and "miss". They finally caved in about 2 days before we left; and they all hugged us goodbye.) Chef Luis (both of them...Jr and Sr) was excellent: people from other all-inclusives regularly came to our restaurant for meals. The seafood lasagne was heavenly, and the Italian cream cake was the best cake I've ever had. Ever. Jose, the bartender, deserves his TripAdvisor fame....he makes you feel like a great friend from the moment he introduces himself as he hand delivers your "welcome home" drink. Naomi, Edsel, and Filippe at the front desk were friendly and helpful; and the groundskeepers, Mr Mai and Isaac, did a fantastic job of keeping all the stunning plants and flowers looking perfect. Isaac even climbed a coconut tree and cracked open a coconut for another guest to experience a fresh picked fruit!

I was glad we didn't commit to any tours or activities ahead of time. We always had the option of joining a tour/activity, as long as we reserved a space by 4pm the day before. I'm sure we would have saved money by booking ahead of time; but we liked the freedom of choosing on the fly. We toured some Mayan Ruins, checked out some small towns, and went ziplining in the jungle. We didn't do the cave tubing or the Monkey River cruise, but they are on our list for next time (because we will definitely be going back). We also rented a golf cart and went crocodile hunting on our own, along the Sittee River. We only found one...but we had a blast bombing around for the afternoon.

Hopkins is a small fishing village. It's definitely "developing world"...what we in North America might consider poverty. But the people were friendly, honest, and proud of their food, crafts, and music. My boyfriend is quite adventurous and really likes getting to know the locals, so we spent a lot of time in the village talking to artisans and shop keepers, and people just sitting outside their houses. He ended up digging up a crocodile head that had been buried for 3 weeks, and pulling out the teeth for Alex, a local jewelery maker. That's the kind of stuff he loves. He made quite an impression in that town...I was definitely just along for the adventure. :)

We ate traditional Garifuna food at Innies. I loved my Hudutu (red snapper and coconut milk, plantains); and after he got used to the texture of the Budinga, Edward liked it, too. When we took the tour out to Xunatunich with Bernardo (tour guide extraordinaire--he was so knowledgeable and funny), we ate a Mayan dish called Pibil....so fantastically good that we have looked up the recipe to try it at home.

On the puddle-jumper flight from Dangriga back to Belize City (on our way home), I got put in the co-pilot's seat! That helped make me feel a little less sad to be leaving.

All in all, it was the perfect spot for us. We wanted sun and adventure without the sterility of a huge all-inclusive. We are already planning our return (Eddie was planning it after the first 24 hours).

Room Tip: Villas 2, 3, and 9 have direct views of the ocean; but they are also directly in line with the bar a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wow where to start. Flying into Belize City (check the cost to upgrade to first class) was great. The hopper to Dandriga was fun, I hear of people driving...... why spend 3 hours of beach time in a little car? They pick you up at the airport and drive to Hopkins Bay. They are nice staff. There are 2 complexes, I prefer the original Belizean dreams. The units are big and you get a beautiful view. The beach is nice and the water calm, due to the 2nd largest Great Barrier Reef in the world. Hit the chairs by the pool upon arrival and relax. When you look out to see you may see a tree on the horizon, it is just one of the many islands to explore. Book a table @ Hamanasi and force yourself to get up and enjoy the stroll. You can see their dock from your chair. In the morning go for a jog along the beach. Bug Spray will stop the "no seeums" from biting. Tell the cook to start your breakfast as you jog by, the restaurant / bar is in the middle of the units. Second day you should try Jaguar Reef. They have great parties in the evening
and you have to enjoy the Garafuna people and their dance. By now some of these people will recognize you, smile and enjoy the occasional hug. Tomales are great in town. Time to borrow a bike and go for a ride into town. The people are friendly. Ask about "Movie Night" and remember this is NOT A BIG CITY. Have you ever seen a turtle run. Little turtles hatch and run to the water. Exciting and educational. Mahem is a better description. I dive with my family. This the best I have done. Whale sharks, unbeleivable. Sting Rays that hunt, huge nurse sharks, great corral. There is lots of cool dives. Ask Richard (at Hamanasi) about the Hour Glass Cave.
Try eating out on your deck, or get the local Masseuse to give you an in home massage. Zipline was fun. We went on a tour of the the local Sauce shop, I can't remeber the name (mamas?). Anyways we met the owner and she showed us the whole process. Everything there was fresh and delicious. You need to try Belizean Dreams.

Room Tip: They are all good but they may try to move you to the other units. Check them out first!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It has been several weeks since we left Belizean Dreams. We have had a hard time (with the holidays and three kids) finding the time to write this review, but the entire staff at Belizean Dreams has been on our minds since we arrived home.

This trip was a combination birthday/15 year anniversary/honeymoon we never took trip, and we had been looking forward to Belize since May. To say the trip exceeded our expectations is an understatement. I have never had so much fun--and have never met better people. We found Belizean Dreams through the Groupon deal and went back and forth over the all inclusive option. We decided that rather than going all inclusive we would rent a car and have the freedom to roam. We are so glad we did. In hind site had we gone all inclusive we would have been just as happy with the trip, as the food and excursions were awesome.

We arrived in Belize City and drove three hours to Hopkins. The drive through the Maya Mountains was amazing. We stopped for lunch along the way (I think it was called Amigos) and had the best tacos we've ever eaten. Once we arrived in Hopkins the sun had set and we were a bit intimidated by the very bumpy Hopkins Rd, which seemed to go on and on. Once we made it to the village we were so excited to finally find Belizean Dreams. We were shown our beautiful room (I think it was 3A) and then taken to the bar, where we met Jose, the most fun person I have ever met. Jose made us feel like friends, not tourists.

We thought we wanted our trip to be mainly relaxing; however after Jose took us into Ziplining at Bocawina we wanted more adventure. The other things we did and would recommend: Xunatunich with Bernard, the snorkeling trip to Coco Plum, and the ATM Cave Tour. They were all amazing, but the ATM Cave Tour was the most physically demanding and rewarding. Felipe talked us into doing this tour, and we were so glad we did!

As for the resort...it is beautiful. It is small and relaxed, but everything was perfect. The restaurant was great. Chef Luis is very creative and every meal we had there was delicious. Arnol, Huestes, Charles and the rest of the staff could not have been more friendly and they bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. The beach is relaxing-we took two days to just hang out at the beach and at the bar. Mr. Charles was our bartender during the day, and Jose began his shift in the afternoon. His "Jose Coco" is delicious, and the atmosphere is just fun.

The very best part of the trip was the people we met, and we feel particularly blessed to have been able to spend a lot of time with the following people: Jose, Huestes, Stephen, Felipe, Luis, Edsel, Arnol, Mr. Charles, and many others. Jose took us to Bocawina and then to lunch at a nice spot in Silk Grass (wish I could remember the name); Huestes caught a ride with us to San Pedro and lucky for us he was there to help when we had a tire blow out on the Hummingbird Highway (along with a complete stranger who also helped us), He also took us on a short "tour" of Dangriga :) Luis took us on a speedy tour of the Blue Hole (off Hummingbird Hwy) and Belize City, and made sure we found the Belize National Team jersey we wanted for our son. The conversations we had with everyone there, especially Stephen and Edsel, were special.

We also really enjoyed Hopkins Village. We ate breakfast at Iris' Sunnyside Up and Thongs and had pizza at Driftwood. One morning we went to Caitlin's Bakery in Hopkins--very good muffins. Also, make sure to visit Alex, who is a local artist. He has his jewelry and other items set up across from Sunnyside Up. We had dinner at Barracuda Bar and Grill and Chef Robs--both were delicious.

I would not change a thing about this trip, other than stay 2 weeks instead of 1. I hope to stay at Belizean Dreams again in the near future, and will always remember the people we met.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3A. The view of the sea is perfect, but I honestly don't think there is a bad...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Belize for our 10 year wedding anniversary and stayed at Belizean Dreams for one week. The entire staff went over and beyond to make our stay simply wonderful. The best example I have of this is the Chef Luis. Luis knew that the Snapper was one of our favorite dishes that he arranged for a 2 lb. Snapper to be caught for for my wife and I's last dinner at the Resort (Snapper was not even on the menu that evening).

We went on several of the trips during the week offered by the Resort (Cave Tubing & Zip Lining, Mayan Ruins, Jaguar Preserve) and they were all excellent. Our guide for the most part was an employee of the Resort and he made sure we saw little things along the way unique to Belize that added to the experience of our day trips.

The food at the resort is excellent, we ate all of our meals at the resort (except when we were on a day trip). The quality of the deserts could be a little better to be on par with the entrees, but they were very good (I'm just being picky and completely honest).

Our room was great and very comfortable. As of when we traveled December 9-15, wireless internet was only in the dining/pool/beach area and barely reached our room since we were close to that area. I suggested to the staff that they ensure that wireless internet be in all of the rooms and they noted that they were very close to having that capability (not a huge deal since you are on vacation anyway, but would be nice to be able to use the internet from your room to Skype with family back home).

If we ever travel to Belize again we will definitely be staying at Belizean Dreams!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent 8 days at this resort and loved every minute of it. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The food was very good. They could invest in better coffee. Other than that I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view or garden view is the same
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Belizean Dreams? Share your experiences!