“An Amazing Trip - Best Part: The Friends We Made” 5 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“An Amazing Trip - Best Part: The Friends We Made”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It has been several weeks since we left Belizean Dreams. We have had a hard time (with the holidays and three kids) finding the time to write this review, but the entire staff at Belizean Dreams has been on our minds since we arrived home.

This trip was a combination birthday/15 year anniversary/honeymoon we never took trip, and we had been looking forward to Belize since May. To say the trip exceeded our expectations is an understatement. I have never had so much fun--and have never met better people. We found Belizean Dreams through the Groupon deal and went back and forth over the all inclusive option. We decided that rather than going all inclusive we would rent a car and have the freedom to roam. We are so glad we did. In hind site had we gone all inclusive we would have been just as happy with the trip, as the food and excursions were awesome.

We arrived in Belize City and drove three hours to Hopkins. The drive through the Maya Mountains was amazing. We stopped for lunch along the way (I think it was called Amigos) and had the best tacos we've ever eaten. Once we arrived in Hopkins the sun had set and we were a bit intimidated by the very bumpy Hopkins Rd, which seemed to go on and on. Once we made it to the village we were so excited to finally find Belizean Dreams. We were shown our beautiful room (I think it was 3A) and then taken to the bar, where we met Jose, the most fun person I have ever met. Jose made us feel like friends, not tourists.

We thought we wanted our trip to be mainly relaxing; however after Jose took us into Ziplining at Bocawina we wanted more adventure. The other things we did and would recommend: Xunatunich with Bernard, the snorkeling trip to Coco Plum, and the ATM Cave Tour. They were all amazing, but the ATM Cave Tour was the most physically demanding and rewarding. Felipe talked us into doing this tour, and we were so glad we did!

As for the resort...it is beautiful. It is small and relaxed, but everything was perfect. The restaurant was great. Chef Luis is very creative and every meal we had there was delicious. Arnol, Huestes, Charles and the rest of the staff could not have been more friendly and they bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. The beach is relaxing-we took two days to just hang out at the beach and at the bar. Mr. Charles was our bartender during the day, and Jose began his shift in the afternoon. His "Jose Coco" is delicious, and the atmosphere is just fun.

The very best part of the trip was the people we met, and we feel particularly blessed to have been able to spend a lot of time with the following people: Jose, Huestes, Stephen, Felipe, Luis, Edsel, Arnol, Mr. Charles, and many others. Jose took us to Bocawina and then to lunch at a nice spot in Silk Grass (wish I could remember the name); Huestes caught a ride with us to San Pedro and lucky for us he was there to help when we had a tire blow out on the Hummingbird Highway (along with a complete stranger who also helped us), He also took us on a short "tour" of Dangriga :) Luis took us on a speedy tour of the Blue Hole (off Hummingbird Hwy) and Belize City, and made sure we found the Belize National Team jersey we wanted for our son. The conversations we had with everyone there, especially Stephen and Edsel, were special.

We also really enjoyed Hopkins Village. We ate breakfast at Iris' Sunnyside Up and Thongs and had pizza at Driftwood. One morning we went to Caitlin's Bakery in Hopkins--very good muffins. Also, make sure to visit Alex, who is a local artist. He has his jewelry and other items set up across from Sunnyside Up. We had dinner at Barracuda Bar and Grill and Chef Robs--both were delicious.

I would not change a thing about this trip, other than stay 2 weeks instead of 1. I hope to stay at Belizean Dreams again in the near future, and will always remember the people we met.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3A. The view of the sea is perfect, but I honestly don't think there is a bad...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Long Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Belize for our 10 year wedding anniversary and stayed at Belizean Dreams for one week. The entire staff went over and beyond to make our stay simply wonderful. The best example I have of this is the Chef Luis. Luis knew that the Snapper was one of our favorite dishes that he arranged for a 2 lb. Snapper to be caught for for my wife and I's last dinner at the Resort (Snapper was not even on the menu that evening).

We went on several of the trips during the week offered by the Resort (Cave Tubing & Zip Lining, Mayan Ruins, Jaguar Preserve) and they were all excellent. Our guide for the most part was an employee of the Resort and he made sure we saw little things along the way unique to Belize that added to the experience of our day trips.

The food at the resort is excellent, we ate all of our meals at the resort (except when we were on a day trip). The quality of the deserts could be a little better to be on par with the entrees, but they were very good (I'm just being picky and completely honest).

Our room was great and very comfortable. As of when we traveled December 9-15, wireless internet was only in the dining/pool/beach area and barely reached our room since we were close to that area. I suggested to the staff that they ensure that wireless internet be in all of the rooms and they noted that they were very close to having that capability (not a huge deal since you are on vacation anyway, but would be nice to be able to use the internet from your room to Skype with family back home).

If we ever travel to Belize again we will definitely be staying at Belizean Dreams!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent 8 days at this resort and loved every minute of it. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The food was very good. They could invest in better coffee. Other than that I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view or garden view is the same
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We love this place and would return again in a heartbeat!!! The villas are absolutely gorgeous! We visited with 4 of our friends so each couple had their own room with private baths and gorgeous four poster beds! Their is a common area with couch, tv, and kitchen that is perfect. Staff is awesome and very friendly! Bartenders were great! We wish we were still there! Thank you guys for an amazing stay!!!!

Linda & Matt

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We were treated exceedingly well and the service could not have been improved upon. Our food was excellent and served picture perfect. Our compliments to the chef!! Jose our bartender makes the best rum punch. The staff is most friendly and your wish is their command!!! Thank you all and see you next year. Happy holidays!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Harrisburg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We travel quite often and this was by far the most enjoyable trip we have been on. The entire staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great trip. Jose is one of the most entertaining and fun loving bartenders you will ever meet. Management, you need to keep him on nights! The rooms were clean, food was good and the scenery unebelievable!

Room Tip: We rented an entire villa and ended up sleeping on the top floor. Much quieter with stunning views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I went to Belizean Dreams with a friend for my 30th bday and had the most amazing time. I've been on a bunch of tropical vacations and this is my favorite vacation to date. Belize in and of itself is a beautiful country filled with culture and adventure. And this resort gives you everything you want in a vacation, whether it is to just relax or have an exciting new adventure. They make everything so easy and this is by far the most accommodating and personal resort I've ever been to.

The resort is beautifully landscaped and villas are large and very clean. The landscapers and cleaners do an excellent job just like the rest of the staff. I found that I didn't get bug bites while at the resort. I think they treat their beach for sand flies. But I did get bit up quite a bit while on some excursions but it is the rain forest afterall.

We took Mayan Island Air from Belize City to Dangrigia where the resort driver was already there to pick us up. The 15 minute airplane ride from Belize City to Dangrigia was also very nice and I was amazed at how smooth the flight was for such a small plane. Getting from Belize City to the resort was much easier than I ever imagined. The resort driver was already waiting for us in Dangrigia when our flight arrived.

My friend unfortunately was sick before we even left for our trip and got worse by the time we got there. The resort offered to take him into town to see a doctor. My friend went with the driver to the health clinic (which is free in Belize). He was treated way faster than he would have been in the US and the doctor was great. He was feeling better the next day.

The staff know you by name and the personal touch they give every guest is amazing. I was nervous that this would be strictly a couples resort but this place is excellent whether you're looking for a romantic getaway, a family vacation, an adventurous vacation, traveling with friends or even solo.

The food at the restaurant is very good. I enjoyed my veggie omelets and I love their breakfast beans. Lunches and dinners were also very good. And if you're in a rush in the morning and headed out to an excursion, they are more than happy to whip up a quick breakfast to go style.
I met my favorite bartender in the world Jose. Whether it was a Bloody Mary that I needed in the morning or a rum drink at night, he was the man. He's so much fun and makes such delicious drinks. The dirty monkey is a must.  Huestes and Mr. Charles also make some mean cocktails. And the food and drinks are very reasonably priced. And take advantage of the happy hour rum drink specials which are half off- $3 delicious rum drinks equals amazing.

The excursions are great. Felipe took us to the zipline excursion site and he was incredible. He's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He will help you out with everything and anything.
Bernard took us on the Mayan ruin tour. It was one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life. The feeling you get from being at Xunantunich is way more amazing in person than pictures can capture although still awesome for photos. He's so knowledgeable and at times witty. He took us to this great little lunch spot prior where I got to try gibnuts. The lunches are included in the tours and they literally take car of everything for you. Bernard was such a great guide and I think his tour of the Mayan ruins are a must.

I got to interact with Huestes and Arnold quite a bit during the week and they along with the others mentioned are the reason this is the best vacation I've ever been on. It was quite refreshing to interact with such nice gentleman who are so willing to share information about the area and the lifestyle/ culture in Belize. They take care of every need and are truly amazing. I hope to visit again to see my new buddies again in the future.

Other than maybe Canada, I have never felt so safe overseas. After spending a week at Belizean Dreams and going into Hopkins almost daily that week, I feel safer there than I do at home in Philly.

Room Tip: Bring strongest bug repellant you can find. Rooms have hair dryers. Ladies- leave your high heels an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Belizean Dreams? Share your experiences!