“Great staff, decent food and in the middle of nowhere” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
30% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Hopkins
Frederick, Maryland
“Great staff, decent food and in the middle of nowhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Belizean Dreams for our honeymoon from 18-24 September. We rented a car with the intent of trying as many things as we could in the area and travel out if we needed to. We drove from Belize City and while it's a beautiful drive, there isn't much help getting to the resort in Hopkins. I recognized Hamanasi and followed the signs there and asked them where to go. It just so happened to literally be the next resort up.

Once we arrived we were taken to our room and then to the bar for a complimentary drink. There is no TV or wifi in the room but that can be a good thing for some. Considering how difficult it is to get around and there being no phones in the room either, having wifi would definitely help when planning activities. Speaking of which, we were left with a one page form on the table describing activities and which days they would be available with the resort. However, there were no times, locations or prices on the paper. A trip to the office rectified this but it seemed none of the activities were really planned all that well. Several trips had been changed and there were no additional options on the same day offered. There was no real communication or a sense of order for most of the trip.

Lightening hit our room blowing something out of the wall and melting the rest of it to the outlet which also blew the circuit the refrigerator was on. We notified the office around 10am but it did not get repaired until after 6pm. At 4pm I again let them know there was a melted plug still in the wall and that they probably would want to have it removed before someone just decided to reset the breaker potentially causing a fire. This same storm knocked out the wifi at the restaurant for the rest of the vacation. They kept saying each day that it would be fixed that evening but they had only restored wifi at the front office.

I'm not too sure how much more the all inclusive cost but we ended up going with the resort for a few trips and it will cost you a good bit so it may benefit you to go that route since everything seems to be a 2+ hour trip away and at 650US a gallon of gas it can get expensive fast if you're not sure where you want to go. ATM's are few and very far between and almost every place takes only cash.

The food stayed pretty much the same throughout the week. Usually a choice of a beef, chicken and fish/seafood meal for dinner at about 25 dollars US. This is usually no choice of appetizer or dessert. Breakfast never changed from the basic menu choices and costs about 12-15 dollars each. Alcohol was relatively cheap, especially if you stuck with the basics. Rum and coke's were 2 dollars each and happy hour was buy one and get one free.

The staff at the bar and at the restaurant really made what could have been a horrible trip into something very decent. They really made this place and were the highlight of the resort stay. Always happy to engage in conversation, very polite and always trying their best to make you as happy and comfortable as possible. I wish I would say that I felt this way when dealing with the office.

The morning we checked out they had none of our paperwork ready. The gentleman at the desk said he wasn't told we were leaving that day. One of the receipts had no price on it and he didn't know the cost of the trip but we were able to still get out without too much of a delay

If you're looking for a rustic stay and just relax with no stress and just float along with the local atmosphere then Belizean Dreams would probably be perfect for you. If you're looking for many activities, a nice beach to lie on and a few modern conveniences then I don't believe this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
currituck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I went to Belizean Dreams for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We got a great deal on Groupon and purchased a weeks stay. We don't drink so we chose not to get the inclusive deal.This was our first trip abroad so I don't have a lot of experience out of the country but Belizean Dreams was a great beginning.
First let me start by saying we had a wonderful stay at Belizean Dreams.

The staff is warm and helpful. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and accommodate. We absolutely loved them and enjoyed getting to know them. We loved our one bedroom suite in 5A. There is not a tv and thankfully my husband thought to bring his laptop and download some movies from iTunes prior to our trip so a few nights we watched a movie.
After the hurricane earlier this summer they lost a antenna so there is very limited internet connection and that is mainly at the office or at the restaurant so be warned. If they haven't fixed that by the time you go- internet connection is slow and difficult. We weren't on it all the time, that's not why we went on vacation, but when we did try to download a movie it never fully finished.

That said, we chose to do 2 trips to the Mayan ruins and snorkeling. Both were great and well worth it. We were fortunate enough to hear and see Howler monkeys in the jungle during our trip to the ruins. The ruins were impressive and awe- inspiring.
The snorkeling trip was amazing and we spotted sting rays, barracuda, and many small colorful fish. We never felt in any danger when we were in the water and we stopped for lunch on the island of Coco Plum. It was a beautiful island that looks like it's straight out of a calendar spread. It's only for adults so that's something to consider and it's just you, the beach, a restaurant and a bar.

As one reviewer said the beach at the resort is not the turquoise blue you often see. We did get that on our snorkeling trip as I just stated. So if that's what you're seeking I'd suggest checking into Coco Plum. It's an island with about 8 cottages for adults only. The water at the beach at the resort was clear and perfectly fine just not a beautiful shade of blue.
We did take the kayaks out but they don't have the snorkels that are listed in the website however I'm not sure you'd see much even if they did.

The food was good. We didn't eat every meal there, most often we were there for dinner. They usually had 3 options for dinner. Some type of fish, chicken and beef. It was about $50 US for a dinner for 2 which includes a appetizer, entree and dessert. The desserts were lacking but I'm a baker so my standard is high. We went to Chef Robs one night, another resort down the beach. We weren't impressed and it was about the same price wise.

You can get much less expensive meals in town but you are in a third world country and you need to remember that they don't have a sanitation rating on the wall. We did adventure out to the village almost every day. Often taking a meal in as we were there. We had pizza at the Driftwood. It was good. We went to a bakery (turn at the basketball court) she is an american that has great muffins and sweet breads at a pittance! (That's what we had for breakfast most days.) She bakes and has things ready in the afternoon. We also went to The Frog Cafe for breakfast and that was good. My husband loved eating at Innes. He had Hoodut. (Red Snapper and mashed plantains cooked in coconut milk)He's adventurous like that!

If you do go into town it's only a mile drive. We road the bikes. They are pretty worn down and they only have 2 adult and 3 children's. Not a bad bit of exercise and we just didn't feel like paying for the golf cart.

Over all we loved our trip and would return again. This is a small resort and it was perfect for our needs. We wanted to relax and just enjoy each others company. If you want adventure I suggest more excursion packages. We went in the off season and the days we didn't go on excursions we made our own into the town or just lazed around the pool and had the resort practically to ourselves and loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in 5A for the first few days of our trip and then moved to 3A for the last couple of days...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Binghamton,New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived @ Belizean Dreams we were taken directly to the outdoor bar,and treated to a complimentary drink. The bartender(Charles) was smiling and very friendly. He made us a rum punch,delicous!! The bar is situated between the outdoor infinity pool and the Carribean Sea. Breath taking views!!

After we unpacked,and got situated we headed out to take in the incredible views. We were greeted by a gentlemen with a million dollar smile,Arnol. He walked with us on the beach,and showed us the resorts that were next to belizean Dreams.He told us we were welcome to stroll about anywhere on the beach and visit the other resorts. He then pointed out the coconuts. Arnol, explained to us the different ways to use a coconut,depending on what stage it is in. Arnol and another gentlemen then climbed the tree and cut a couple of them down using a machete. He cut the top off of the coconut,opening up a small hole. He put straws in them and brought them to our room. What an exciting way to begin our stay @ Belizean Dreams.

We had purchased The Just Chillin Package.(this included all of our meals). We absolutely enjoyed all the food! Each day we could not wait to see what entre'es would be on the dinner menu. Lobster was offered almost every night,prepared many delicous ways! Breakfast was refreshing and very tasty.(try the fry jacks) Fruit was offered every morning,and the banana pancakes,yummy!! We could also enjoy one snack each day. The chicken wings and fries were excellent,and the nachos too!
Oh, we would be remissed not to mention the banaffi pie! This is positively the best pie we have ever had! Try it,you won't be disappointed. On Friday,Arnol and some of the staff set up tables on the beach for dinner! What a nice touch! They decorated the tables,and the chairs. What a beautiful night on the beach!! The campfire was an added bonus!!

The staff: Arnol,Charles,Trina,Raymond,Albert,Alfonso,Bernard,Naomi,George,the wonderful cleaning ladies(sorry I don't remember all your names) You all deserve the best! Please tip them well!!

A few tips:bring cash(one U.S. dollar is worth two Belize dollars) You won't find an ATM in Hopkins.
Tours:are well done,and informative! Mayan ruins is an all day trip,but well worth it! Bernard and Alfonso did an excellent job!
Bring a backpack to carry your items in. They stop for lunch on the tour,and a gift shop!
Golf cart: rent one,and tour Hopkins. Dave's Wood Carvings is a must see. There are a few shops and restaurants to visit! Also,a couple of nice bars! The Driftwood has very good pizza!

The people of Belize were so gracious and friendly. They don't have nearly the opportunities we have in the States,yet they are extremely positive people!! We were honored and privileged to meet all of you! You treated us like family!! Arnol, I will never forget you (my new friend,I will be in touch)You are the best! Thank you for everything!! To all the people we met,thank you for your generous hospitality!! To all the future people that visit Belizean Dreams,we hope you have as humbling of an experience,as we did! Thank You!!!

Stayed July 2012
Chatsworth, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is a gem in the poor humble town of Hopkins Belize. The staff tries their hardest to accommodate all guest. They make you feel important and valued. The Island is just that and Island, ppl from the states should not expect what they are use to. They take their time with the food and quantities are limited due to cost and location. It was a clean beautiful villa that was more like a house, with good dinners and a great atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I want to start of by saying hello to a few of the friends I made there. Etcel- You were just spectacular my friend. I cannot rant or rave enough about your excellent attitude, and amazing service you gave my family. I can honestly say you would be a family friend if we were natives there. Niomi- The smiles from you made each day a little better. Thank you for such great assistance and help throughout our stay there. You went above and beyond your duties. Winzel- As a manager you were obviously very busy.. yet you always found time to chat and interact with us. You were a wealth of knowledge with generosity and kindness mixed in. I never once felt rushed when we talked, and you were the perfect professional and friend. Justin- OMG. I wanted to adopt this Belizan! He worked hard for the resort, and then consistently found time to play/assist my children as well as us. He is a true asset to the resort, and I give him 6 stars! Much love my friend Justin!

The staff made our trip a 5 star experience. I understand that many go into these places expecting marital bliss, and honeymoon sex on the beach each night. The truth of the matter is simple. It is as good as you make it. We took the time to talk to the local people, as well as the other vacationers there. This made all the difference. The resort itself may be small, but what it lacks in size it makes up with huge hearts. My wife and I have traveled around the world, and we have stayed at many wonderful places. This resort was a great place to stay and relax, and a breath of fresh air in service. The accommodations were exactly what we expected and more.

A few tips: Network with your other resorters. The more you can get to go on the excursions...the deeper the discounts you will get. Bring 93% deet with you. The bugs are annoying at times, but that is to be expected. Plan for this, and you will be happy. Bring very good skin lotion. I would suggest Eucerin. Your skin will get very dry due to the salt etc, and you will feel like you are getting attacked by bugs... just dry skin. Go to Janette and get a golf cart! Half of the fun is adventuring alone, and walking is okay, but not when the humidity is 99% LOL.
Plan for there to be no ATM, and bring money accordingly. (We spent about 80 dollars per day for food on the economy, and ate VERY well as a family of 4). Bring a camera with a blue filter...Lots of ocean and blue sky.. plan for that if you can.

We had a wonderful time.. so good we are deciding if we are going to build our 2nd home in Hopkins. Enjoy as we did!

Room Tip: If you want a TV you need to get the larger downstairs room. If you plan on your own "entertain...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We had a week long vacation to Belizean Dreams Resort. It is in the small village of Hopkins, Belize. Not the place to go if you are looking for nightlife. The really nice thing about Hopkins is that it is a beach resort, in the jungle. If you look in one direction, you have all of the water sports you might want. If you turn around, you have all of the inland activities you might want.

Travel is a bit tough, due to the road repair needs. Plans are in place, most importantly, to repave to road to Hopkins. That will improve the travel inland dramatically.

The people are sure nice. All the people at the resort are extremely helpful and personable. The people in town are friendly, and you have to spend some time in town, even if just to spend some money.

We had an all inclusive deal that included all meals at the resort, plus all the hot snacks we wanted. We didn't get to eat in town. There were several restaurants that people recommended and enjoyed. We really liked the resort restaurant, never having to repeat the same meal. We did eat a lot of lobster, because we like lobster. Shrimp tacos by the pool with a rum punch by Charles is a great way to wind down from a tour.

Our deal included $350 US in drinks from the bar. We drank lots of different drinks, sampled from the list, never busted our budget, and never felt like we were not getting everything we wanted. As Charles says, "Why not, you are on vacation."

Our room was an upstairs romantic vista room. Nice balcony. The only drawback was that the bathroom was connected to the sleeping quarters over a vaulted ceiling and the outer doors were hanging doors. A bit of noise if you are a light sleeper. Just turn on your sleeping music on itunes and you are all set.

Tours were great. Definitely do the cave tubing and zip lining. If you like strenuous hikes (we're from Colorado, so I'm not kidding here,) do the Mayflower Waterfall hike. Well worth getting soaked with sweat on the way up the mountain. If the tour you want is not available on a certain day, you can do a tour with a neighboring resort, but you'll have to pay their fees. Our tours were part of the package, and we took full advantage.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Can't say enough good things about Belizean Dreams. The staff was great, the 3 bedbroom/3 bath with a full kitchen was perfect. Rooms were cleaned each day , if you needed anything it was quickly addressed. We ate lunch at the pool bar and the food kept our four kids happy. Took three excursions and enjoyed every one of them and never had a problem doing the things we wanted to do. The six of us will always remember this as one of our favorite vacations. The people of Belize and the staff made it great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Belizean Dreams? Share your experiences!