“Shoddy Equipment & Ambivalent Crew” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bocawina Adventures & EcoTours Ltd.

Bocawina Adventures & EcoTours Ltd.
Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures | Mayflower Bocawina National Park, Hopkins, Belize
+501 664-5554
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Hopkins
More attraction details
Owner description: Bocawina Adventures is part of Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures, an eco-resort located inside the Mayflower Bocawina National Park. Bocawina Zipline is the Longest ZipLine Course in Central America, At 2.5 Miles long with 12 platforms, 3 runs over 2,000 ft, longest run 2300 ft. Also Night Flying, we are located within Mayflower Bocawina National Park, with 5 Water falls you can hike or be guided. You can swim in the emerald pools. We also do waterfall rappelling off Antelope Falls and Bocawina Falls, with a rappel of 500 ft and 100 ft. Day & Night Canopy hiking tours, Great Birding over 237 sited on and around property, Mountain Bike, Great Factory Tours. Also offer Mayan Ruins Tours, Snorkeling/Diving, Fishing or Day at the Beach, Monkey River Tours & Placencia, Horseback riding, Cave Tubing & ATM Caving.
Placencia, Belize
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Shoddy Equipment & Ambivalent Crew”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is my second time ziplining here, and it was markedly different than the first, which was a year ago when the zip line had first opened.

My first time the equipment was all brand spanking new, and the crew that guided us that day was upbeat, fun, and informative. My second time was a complete 180. The crew we got looked bored, inconvenienced, and one of the two wouldn't crack a smile to save his life.

I've ziplined in six countries, and the safety lecture on this day was minimal and lacking in some very basic but important information, such as never ever put your hand in front of the cable. In addition, they had the guide with the worst English skills (I believe his first language is Spanish) giving the instructions (he was also the least friendly guy too).

At the second to the last run, which is the longest (1/2 mile), my braking glove failed and when I was supposed to be breaking, I was getting rope burn badly. So much so that I couldn't brake any longer, and I went slamming into the platform, and it bounced me back about ten feet from the platform. Then my glove somehow got caught in the cable, which freaked me out because I thought I might lose a finger or something.

At no point did the guide on the platform attempt to come out and rescue me. He just threw me a rope, without properly explaining what I was supposed to do with it. Of course, I was panicked, but I thought he handled the whole situation poorly.

At the end of the tour, I held back my gloves and said I was not going to turn them in, they were faulty (big huge hole in the leather grip portion). I also was holding my sister's pair back too because her gloves had a hole in the thumb and she had got a bad blister. The Hispanic guide snickered at me and said, "You can't do that. I'll report it to my bosses but it's up to them if these gloves need to be thrown away." I was stunned. So I asked him, "You are going to just let someone else use these, really?" And he said again, "It's up to my boss."

Unbelievable! I could have really been badly injured (as it was I had a very sore knee and hand), and they could care less. If you zipline here, check your equipment very carefully. Better yet, go zipline at Caves Branch on the George Price/Western Highway better - much more professional operation with excellent equipment.

Visited July 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great family adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our family of five had a great time at the Bocawina Zip Line. As a mom of three, I felt it was safe and made for a great adventure for the whole family. Jesus and Tony did a wonderful job with our family. I was apprehensive at first, but they put my mind at ease. My 8 year old twins would do it again in a second. I highly recommend it for anyone.

Visited June 2013
Barrie
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Great place! Awesome time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

A very nice place with friendly staff and owners. We had a great time hiking and zip lining. Highly recommend spending some time here.

Visited June 2013
Escondido
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A Great Time in the Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

On our recent trip to Belize, my family visited the Bocawina Zip Line for a nighttime zip experience. Prior to our zip lining, we did a waterfall rappel which was a lot of fun but the night zip line was the highlight of the visit. First, the course itself is well done with lots of fast lines with one being over 2000 ft. You are provided a headlamp for the night zip which makes the hike easy but does little to illuminate the night as you fly through the darkness which is why it is so much fun. You also get to rappel several times during the tour which is a fun addition to the zip lining. The zip line itself is very safe and the guides do a great job of making it fun and keeping it safe. Over the years, we have done a lot of zip lining but the nighttime zip was definitely different and well worth the investment.

Visited May 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Adventures of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had the time of my life touring around Belize with my sister and friends. We went on some amazing adventures with Bocawina, both on and off site. We got up early and took a road trip to see the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins. Our tour was fascinating and informative and it all began with our driver, Cesar. Not only is he knowledable but he is super sweet and continuously went out of his way to make our trip as enjoyable as possible. We stopped to check out a Mennonite stand on the side of the road and took a little break after the ruins for a snack that the staff back at Mama Noots had packed for us. Nothing like refreshing watermelon and homemade cookies after a long day in the sun! We then packed back up and went for a fun/relaxing excursion of cave tubing (don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds... it's a nice float down the river and through some really cool caves). Lunch was included, which was convenient and made the excursion more affordable. The following day, we hiked up to Antelope Falls with Hugo and Vidal. At the top we swam in the pools, jumped off the rocks and hung out under the waterfall. SO MUCH FUN! Then, we strapped on our gear and off we went - down the waterfall! AMAZING! Of course, one can't visit Bocawina and not partake in the longest zip line in Central America! Luckily, we had the same two stellar guides for our zip lining adventures. We took a ton of photos but had even more fun than those pictures can document. The staff and guides here are incredible and the views are out of this world! Can't wait to go back!

Visited May 2013