“chill oceanside place” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“chill oceanside place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The rooms were cleaned and decorated with flower petals in the bathroom. Nice outdoor seating with tables (with room selected) and hammocks on the beach. Perfect location to participate in Garifuna Settlement Day. A short walk away we watched the boat reenactment and participated in the local parade. Garifuna food was sold by vendors. We watched the drum instructor of the local drum school perform. Later that week we enjoyed a private drum lesson.

We would wake up in the morning and take an early swim and watch the sun rise.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Juneau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is the ideal place to go to relax and get away from the Wisconsin winter. I spent two weeks at the Guest House. It was awesome!!! The nice clean beach was right out my back door. Damian and Nisha are the best hosts ever!!! They were always quick to help with anything from where to get groceries, how to get to a tourist area, renting bikes, etc. etc. I met so many wonderful people; the village is home to the friendliest people I have ever met. I picked up delicious recipes and ate the most delicious food ever. I think the food is my favorite thing and what I miss the most. Went for a walk and found a restaurant on the beach!!! The food was great! You must try the Garafuna dishes! Went for a bike ride and found a little restaurant with more great food. The fresh fish is the best! I had barracuda, kingfish, grouper. When I wasn't eating, I enjoyed the water and talking to the people I met. I would often go back to see them again and they were so glad to see me again. I look forward to returning to this little village and staying at the Coconut Row Guest House!!!! Along with Damian and Nisha, the staff is great! Always greeting me with a smile or a wave and their work was first rate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed at Coconut Row Guest House for 2 weeks in March. We could not have chosen a better, more restful, beach side location to enjoy our break from the cold and snow in Ontario! Our hosts Damien and Nisha were attentive and checked in daily about how we were doing, everything ok, etc. Their staff were also wonderful and helpful.
The setting is basically right on a lovely sandy beach, perfect for swimming, with a sandy bottom and gentle waves lulling you , while you slept at night or lay on your back rolling with the waves.
We had a kitchenette and there was a BBQ outside which we also used. The local food was fresh, delicious and very affordable. The local youth would bring around fresh baked goodies everyday, and we became addicted to coconut crusts, conch fritters, banana bread, etc., etc, yum!! The goodies are made by their mother's, aunts, and even an uncle, and the money raised goes to paying for the children's schooling. Great value for a great cause.
There are stores close by, and lots of local dining/bar establishments, serving Belizean and Garifuna dishes, (do try these!) and usually right on the beach. Hopkins Bay still has a small village feel, without the hype that sometimes goes with a 'resort' area. Much appreciated by this group of Canuks!

We have lots of great memories, and hope to be back some day!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Anacortes, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

It was by chance that we stumbled onto Coconut Row on our internet search for a tropical escape from cold and rain. The reviews sounded good, and Damian was quick to respond to our inquiries. When we arrived with another couple, we couldn't believe the laid-back beauty of the place. It was like Hawaii must have been a century ago: a few short steps to the ocean, gentle waves lapping the palm-decorated sandy beach, fishing boats that pulled up in the evening with fresh fish to sell, little kids coming by in the evenings on their bicycles selling warm loaves of DELICIOUS cinnamon or coconut bread for a dollar. Through Damian we rented bicycles and went on a boat to snorkel in the beautiful, clear waters surrounding the little islands that dot the huge reef system. The little house we rented had a beautiful roof for having cocktails, enjoying the evening breezes, and watching the frigate birds and pelicans flying so close it seemed we could touch them. It was magical.

Room Tip: The Sunrise room is perfect for two couples who want to cook a little.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
amherst,wi.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a two week visit to Hopkins,Belize. We stayed the entire time in the suite at Coconut Row Guest House. If you are looking for the fast city life pace this is the wrong place for you. However, if you are looking to unwind and completely relax, this is the place for you. The village is small and full of very friendly people. Everything is at a relaxed pace. Most eating establishments are outdoors. The beaches are not crowded. Coconut Row was itself a great place to stay. Damian and Nisha were very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful in all respects. Are suite was cleaned everyday and the beach was even cleaned and raked everyday. Anything we needed it was just a matter of asking. Not only would I recommend Coconut Row, we are booking are two week vacation here for next year. I want to thank Damian and Nisha for everything. Jennifer I miss your tortillas already. I want to thank all the friendly staff that took care of us and to say hi to the many friends we made there.

Room Tip: The suite is two bedroom and sits alone from the guest house. It i literally about 100 feet from the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amherst Junction, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We recently spent two weeks at Coconut Row and have already booked our trip back for next year. Damian and Nisha are incredible hosts, so helpful and friendly, always willing to answer questions and help with arrangements of excursions. They have incredible staff who helped us feel right at home as well.

My husband and I and my Mom stayed in the Sunrise Suite and loved every second of it. All of the rooms are great, so clean, very comfortable beds (we slept so well every night), the grounds and beach are just beautiful, kept impeccably clean by Roydan. Coconut Row is the perfect location in Hopkins, centrally located and within walking or biking distance of everything: groceries, great restaurants (the food in Hopkins is incredible), small shops, vegetable stands. If you're there over a Thursday, do not miss the pork chops & bacon that Luis (I think that's his name, sorry if I've forgotten already!) sells, along with his great produce!! The beach & water are just perfect. Ahh.....wish we were back there now!

You will also love Hopkins if you are looking for fun and culture, but also peace & quiet. It is laidback and so relaxing, but there's night life too! A little bit of something for everyone!

Our last night turned into quite the farewell party. We definitely feel like we left friends when we left Coconut Row and Hopkins. Cannot wait for next year! You cannot go wrong staying at Coconut Row! Best vacation ever.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Aquarius Room at the Buttonwood Guest House, which Damian also manages. We flew into Belize City and then took a very small plane on Maya Island Air to Dangriga. Damian drove us and another couple staying at the Buttonwood back to Hopkins. Our room was beautiful. There are hammocks you can string up on the balcony that overlooks the beach and water, where we spent a lot of time. Damian helped us arrange some scuba diving through Hopkins Underwater Adventures (HIGHLY recommended), as well as snorkeling with Noawell and the Mayan Ruins (Xunantunich and Cahal Pech) with Axel. We loved everything we did, and were very grateful to have someone "in the know" to help us out. At the end of our trip, he sent us on our way back to the airport with fresh coconuts to sip on. We found it to be the perfect place to stay -- not as sheltered and expensive as a resort, but not as rustic as some of the other options available. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Row Guest House? Share your experiences!