“Feels like home” 5 of 5 stars

Main street, Hopkins, Belize   |
Anchorage, Alaska
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

When we arrived in Hopkins we had only planned on staying for a couple nights but after staying at the Dodo, we ended up there over a week and we came back a week after we left as well.
We were greeted by smiling staff and friendly guests. If you like hostels this is the place for you.

The (new) manager was a joy to have around and was beyond helpful. Anything we needed was provided for us and if we wanted to do anything outside the hostel we were provided a wealth of local knowledge on any activity or destination.
Another highlight was our bartender mattieu who grew up in the area and is always smiling when you walk up the stairs.

If you're looking for a base camp for exploring Belize or just a place to crash for a night this is my recommendation over any other.

Room Tip: private rooms for more than 2 are virtually the same price as the dorms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
DodoWill, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hello guys!!

Thank you so much for your awesome review. Giovanni the new manager is gleaming with joy now that he has read your kind words and i will show Mat the bar tender also when he comes in for work today.

Thanks for your appreciation of the staff, the place and the people and we hope that you will return again one day. We do our best to provide for our customers, to make you feel welcome upon your arrival and during your stay and to provide the best information and service possible for a budget accommodation place.

All the best guys, Travel safe

Regards from Will, Johanna, Eden, Ronnie, Tanya, Zarita, Mat, and Giovanni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My experience at the Dodo could have been a lot better. The owner and his girlfriend were very helpful and accommodating (when they were there) Other than that it was confusion. Messed up bookings (not just mine), no tour of the facilities, no hot water... It truly is a funky place that I know many would enjoy. Very cabin-like. Better organization, communication, and honesty and manners with the rest of the place would be great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
DodoWill, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hello

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry there may have been a mistake with your booking, but we are dependent on hostel world who do sometimes randomly send us more guests even when we have blocked the availability for the room in question. (this has happened twice now) Having said that, we did not leave you to sleep outside, we paid for a room for you across the road which you got free of charge for the night.

I am surprised you say that we did not give you a tour of the facilities as we take pride in doing so and my staff who love their jobs take the same pride in doing so.

Manners?? Cabin like? Hot water? communication? Well we communicate via email with our guests before they arrive and we do the best we can to make you guys feel informed and welcomed when you arrive and during your stay. I am not too sure what you mean by Cabin like. Yes we have cabins that is correct. There are hundreds of photos of them on the net that you could have seen before arriving if you do not like "Cabins". Hot water, that is nowhere on the net. We do not advertise hot water anywhere. I don't know where you got that from, however we have recently placed an order for a solar thermal water heating system which will be installed soon.

"The owner and his girlfriend were very helpful and accommodating (when they were there)" This one puzzles me as we are always here. Like all the time, from 6 am until late at night every single day. It has happened that we took a day off, just one here and there, we are not machines and we have a small tiny personal life too.

Thanks for staying with us, travel safe
littlehampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The Funky dodo Is definitely the best place to stay in Hopkins. The staff and owners are great people and really helpful.
The dorm is really crowded and noisy because of its proximity to the bar.
The whole place has a great atmosphere and is clean and well maintained.
Quirky and fun

• Stayed January 2014
DodoWill, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello

Thank you for you nice review. Much appreciated.

The noise levels and the time of day.. or night that the noise occurs will vary immensely depending on who we are accommodating at the time. Of course there is often a mixture of people but quite a few times a pattern seems to form and there will be nights when the whole place is quiet by 11pm and most guests will be off on their excursion or activity planned for the day before 7 am the next morning... Then there is the other end of the spectrum when we have to leap out of bed at 3 am to tell the guests coming back from the beach party that they have to stop singing "No Woman No cry" at the top or their lungs and to please consider the people sleeping :)

A reconfiguration of the dormitory is on the drawing board and is is gonna change everything :) .... many people have had long happy stays in those beds. As i say, it varies :)

All the best

Thank you for staying with us at The Dodo

Cheers

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at the Dodo going to and from Glover's Reef Atoll. After just one night (much of it being spent at their nice little upstairs bar) the excellent, friendly staff made it feel like home. It was because of this that I booked a room for my trip back through Hopkins 4 weeks later. The location is centrally located in town and super close to the beach to go sit under a palm tree and gaze out at the ocean. It's also the perfect place to meet fellow travelers from all over the world and make new friends. My private room had a huge fan so I never had to worry about being too hot while sleeping. Thank you Will, Ronnie, Tanya, Zarita, and the rest of the staff for making feel so welcome!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hello Mate

It was a pleasure to have you here. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the place and felt welcome and looked after. That is what we are here for. I try to train my staff so that The Dodo is a way of life they enjoy, not a chore they have to tick off in order to pay the bills. A place that they want to be.

" place to meet fellow travelers from all over the world and make new friends.".

Seeing the sights, climbing the volcanoes, peering off the top of temples thousands of years old and exploring marine underworld life are a few examples of thrills that one comes travelling for. But the people, at least for me, represent a huge part of my travelling. in fact all the spots, moments, memories relate to or include someone who was there. Some you meet for a day, some may stay for a lifetime, you never know who is coming your way.

Travel safe mate

Best regards

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at the Funky Dodo for 5 nights and felt mindful, peaceful, energized, and at home. For those who are willing to publicly accuse individuals of illegal acts (in Belize that is), true or untrue, that occurred on Funky Dodo grounds, don't you think there is a more graceful approach than using a permanently public resource? An email perhaps would suffice? Mangers are mangers, hired by hardworking owners who have families and cannot be present 100% of the time. If you were so uncomfortable with your DAMP sheet, despite the fact you could clearly see the fresh air clothes lines, and most likely experienced their unnaturally long rainy season, one would think you'd emerge from your uncomfortable, but extremely affordable room, and go meet your loud but amazing global family experiencing life in the bar. For future travelers, the bar closes at midnight. Lights off. There are lockers provided in your bunk of you are so worried about all the people "strolling" in late at night. Hostel culture is about being self sufficient and thankful that there are still places like the Funky Dodo willing to host our nomadic souls. Big luv and safe travels.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
thefunkydodo, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Hello

Thank you so much for your awesome review. I appreciate greatly your consideration for our soles in the service industry and thank you for speaking up. It is always a battle for me not to take it personally and to let my emotions show when I am responding to a review such as the one you kindly referred to, but when I read yours I was so thankful you put things in to place :)

It is a great shame that it felt needed to make accusations like that using the world's leading review site, creating consequences for several people and at the same time leaving some condemning graffiti on the Dodo wall.... People need to understand how potentially devastating reviews like that can be.

The rainy season did indeed go on and on and on, and it kept on raining in the beginning of February, not all the time but off and on, causing Zarita to go running for the clothes lines several times a day :)

All is good at the Dodo :) We have a pool now and a new kitchen also. The pool the above ground type, but it is 6 meters long :)

Travel safe and take care and I hope to see you back at The Dodo some day soon.

Cheers

Tampa, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The location is great - right next to the main road and the ATM, Chinese store. The bar/lounge area is a nice touch - I enjoyed the cheap drinks and being able to connect to the wifi service.

I really enjoyed my time at the Funky Dodo, my biggest complaint is the top sheet on my bed was still wet when I went to use it - great, it was washed earlier, but I was FREEZING at night. So perhaps bring an extra blanket if you are cold-prone.

Weekends are loud - with the bar and the construction of the rooms, you will hear everything that goes on outside!

Those of you with children --- Understand that that bar area is a public and people do come in and out of the hostel; there was one night when there was a constant stream of people that specifically came in to purchase weed from one of the employees in the office.

Also, the breakfast is microwaved eggs; there was no butter or jam for the toast; and the sausage was just a hot dog cut in half. I also never received my tea because there was not enough electrical outlets to plug in the machine that heats up the water. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Bring a blanket!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
DodoWill, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Hello there
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable overall.
I am grateful you raised the issues that you had during your stay at the Dodo. The manager in question has been fired this morning upon reading your review due to the accusations about an illegal product. how true this is I will never know. But to reassure people reading, we do not have a stream of people coming in and out of The Dodo to purchase anything. We have a strict "guests only " rule for the downstairs area of the establishment.
For the breakfast we charge 4.00 USD for a coffee with sausage, eggs, toast, butter served to you in a comfortable seat with a nice view, Wi-Fi, and service with a smile. It is possible we would have momentarily ran out of jam and butter, but there is no way my staff would have served you a plate with just toast on it.
We have also spoken to the cleaning staff to make sure that the damp sheet incident never happens again, however the Dodo is staffed 24/7 and you could have easily asked for a dry one. We also have lots of blankets available to use. You just need to ask.
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed at the funky dodo for 4 days only as we had to get out of Belize, otherwise we would have stayed for a much longer time. Will and Johanna are great people, friendly and are willing to help in any way they can. There little girl is also very happy and friendly. The hostel was built by Will and he has done a great job. Rooms were rustic, clean, and very comfortable. You could hear the birds in the early morning, and coffee was only a minute away. We loved this place and will stay there again when we visit Belize. The little town of Hopkins is a lovely little village.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DodoWill, Owner at The Funky Dodo Backpackers, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hi guys!!
Sorry I am a bit late responding. Time flies and were now in high season and really busy which is excellent. The Dodo is well and awaits your return to Hopkins one day soon. We have the tour desk running now and the village is pretty busy.

Thank you for your awesome review. I am glad you enjoyed Hopkins and the sound of the birds in the morning and the coffee up at the bar. It was a pleasure to welcome you.

I remember the issue with your passport stamps which has come up a few times before. Important note for folks reading...
When you arrive in Belize by land sea or air you are entitled to a 30 day stamp. They will ask you about your travel plans and date the stamp accordingly. If you decide to prolong your stay as many do you will have to go to immigration to get an extension stamp when yours runs out.

All the best, many thanks

Will

Been to The Funky Dodo Backpackers? Share your experiences!