“Not quite what I was expecting...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lebeha Drumming Center & Cabanas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Lebeha Drumming Center & Cabanas
You added Lebeha Drumming Center & Cabanas to your Saves list
North End of Village | Hopkins Village, Hopkins, Belize   |
Homer, Alaska
“Not quite what I was expecting...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Dorothy and Jabbar seemed like nice people, but after 3 nights here I was ready to move on. I stayed in the thatch cabana that was part of the drumming center (not the beach cabanas.) A mini fridge and a mosquito net were provided. For budget accommodation, it wasn't too bad overall. However, it felt strange for me to basically be in their yard - their friends, sometimes drunk, would come and go and most the time I either felt like I was a little too much in their space or they were a little too much in mine. The room appeared mostly clean, but I was provided with only about a fourth of a roll of toilet paper, and a mostly-used bar of soap that didn't look too appealing. They just seemed a bit spaced out here - I got the sense that this wasn't exactly their highest priority.

I did really enjoy the drumming lessons though! And Hopkins is absolutely lovely - I loved the food at Thong's, Innie's, Yugadah's, and King Cassava's. The guidebooks warn you that there is no ATM and that ground coffee is really hard to find BUT an ATM was recently installed and you can find coffee at Dong Lee Supermarket.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

These cabanas are on a lovely beach that is regularly raked by the management. I really enjoyed my stay. The water is warm and perfect for swimming. There is a pizza place next store that makes good food, but you have to walk about 15 minutes for other restaurants. My friend stayed in one of the smaller bungalows (the turquoise blue one), and I stayed in the larger bungalow in front. I actually preferred the smaller bungalow because it was brighter inside and the hammock on the porch had a better view without the screen. Unless you're planning to use the kitchen to do some cooking, the smaller bungalows are best in my opinion. This place made for a very nice trip to Hopkins.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Lebeha is a wonderful place. The beach cabanas are great and really reasonably priced, mine had an unobstructed view of the ocean, a little fridge and coffee maker, so it was lovely to make coffee in the morning and sit on the porch, looking out at the sea. Dorothy is so helpful and we had some fun conversations. I had a drumming lesson with Jabbar which was fabulous. I rented a bike one day, although I stupidly set out at noon, so I didn't get as far as I wanted, as it was way too hot, but I did find Sew Much Hemp near False Sittee Point, an unusual bus/store run by Barb, who makes and sells both hemp clothing and wonderful lotions. Back at the cabanas, there's a pizza cafe and bar just next door on the beach, very good but really busy. Also, just a block away is the Garifuna restaurant Laruna Hati aka Marva's, and Marva and her daughter serve up excellent Garifuna dishes. A brand new restaurant a few blocks away, Frog's Point, is highly recommended, yummy food and fabulous coffee.
Because of torrential rains, the nearby rivers flooded into the sea, so the water was very dirty and not swimmable, but it's just at this time of year apparently.
Overall, few days in Hopkins at the Lebeha center is highly recommended! Thanks Dorothy and Jabbar!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Edson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We planned this trip with another couple and weren't sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised with the cabana we stayed in. It was very clean, and had everything you need. The kitchen was exceptional with a 6 burner stove. Bed was very comfortable and the only creature we encountered inside was a cute little gecko, who only made a brief appearance. The view from the deck is amazing, and with plenty of outdoor seating including 2 hammocks, you can spend much time relaxing and taking in the view and warm breeze. There are also several coconut trees, which Jabar was kind enough to show us how to husk and open. We spent most of the first evening opening, learning about, drinking and eating coconuts.
If you don't want to cook there are several little restaurants in the village and a great little bar, called the Driftwood, just a 1minute walk down the beach. They serve a variety of foods, but pizza is the specialty and definitely worth trying.
Dorothy was very helpful with anything we needed, as well as getting us information on the various tours in the area, and even as far as calling for us for our cave tubing excursion.
If you do go to Hopkins make sure to make a stop at the Drumming Center. We spent a fair bit of time, listening to the traditional Garifuna drummers, visiting with locals, and learning a lot about Hopkins and the culture.
Friendly people, warm air, tropical breeze, and perfectly warm water are just a few of the reasons Hopkins and Lebeha Cabanas are worth the trip, even a second.

Room Tip: If your interested in this cabana in particular (they are different) ask for Leo and Laura's
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, this cabana seems new and has a really nice kitchen with everything you need to cook up some meals. The location is steps from the sea and you have unobstructed views. It was spacious and comfy with 2 hammocks.

Dorothy was very helpful and arranged us a snorkel tour with Hamanasi.

Room Tip: Request the newest beach cabana
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My teenage daughter and I had planned to spend two nights at this cabana during our trip through Belize but decided to stay an extra night because we were so charmed with the view and friendly villagers. Hopkins is a peaceful, remote, town with many roaming dogs. The cabana was right on stilts in the sand and I truly believed to be in paradise. It was peaceful and beautiful. We did share our room with miniature ants but that was a small price to pay for the gorgeous view we had. The owners were very helpful and the drumming party on Thursday night was an amazing experience. This cabana situated on the beach in the delightful town of Hopkins was an ideal experience to our adventure trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were planning to spend one night in Hopkins for a drum lesson with Jabbar. We kept extending our stay because everything was so great. Dorothy's cabana on the beach was perfect, as was her company.
Drum lessons with Jabbi were fantastic - loved every minute getting into the Garifuna rythyms.
And just down the beach there's Driftwood for top food and great company.
What a fantastic 100 yds of Belize. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lebeha Drumming Center & Cabanas? Share your experiences!