“best hotel but far from beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hydro Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added Hydro Hotel Penang to your Saves list
Hydro Hotel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Miami Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Bagan Serai, Perak, Malaysia
“best hotel but far from beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

very good and clean hotel. the service quiet good but a bit slow. need to climb the stairs or cross the road to reach the beach. the beach a bit dirty with empty can and rubbish. good breakfast with open air table and seats. nice swimming pool. at night easy to reach to the feringgi night market.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chris6800, Public Relations Manager at Hydro Hotel Penang, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for selecting the Hydro Hotel during your visit to Penang.

Thank you for your positive feedback expressed in your review which have since been acknowledged and certainly helps us to ensure that the hotel is progressing towards the right direction in order to maintain and further improving our product and service standards.

We have taken note of your feedback with regards to the cleanliness at the beach front which will be addressed with the local city council as the beach is a public beach. It is with feedback from valued guest like yourself which will further help to improve our product and service standards.

We, at Hydro Hotel Penang hope to welcome you back with us in the near future.

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Johor Bahru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

As I took the left and spotted the Hydro Hotel Signboard, I was sure that it was going to be an awesome stay at the hotel. Lo and behold, we were absolutely right. I have no complaints at all during my one night stay at the hotel. Honestly, everything was just perfect. It all started with the friendly guards that greeted me at the hotel lobby. They were all smiling and allowed me to park my car in the front lobby while I got down to check in. I then proceeded to the check in counter which was really comfortable. It was a huge comfy stool. To top it all, a really friendly staff helped me out with the check in procedures. She was really friendly and made sure all my requirements of the room were met. If I'm not mistaken her name is Miss Eima and she was on nightshift. I also had some issues with a double booking where she and her colleague, Miss Wan helped me out with immediately. They were so efficient, they immediately cleared the issue within minutes and made sure I had a smooth transition into my room. Do be very careful while you're parking your car on the multi level parking as the pathway is quite narrowed. Just a precaution. But I didn't have much problem. When I got into the room, it was AMAZING I tell you. The room smelt good, the beds were comfortable, the air cond was working well, all plug points were functioning and I had a safe deposit box which was also working. No issues at all in the room. I also had a really good view from my balcony, there was a partial view of the sea as well as the hotel smimming pool. The view was also overlooking the Villas of Batu Feringghi. For a moment I felt like I was in the scene of Fast and Furious 6. It really is a good sight to get up to. However, a slight drawback in the size of the bathroom. It's quite small but manageable. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel. And a very big thank you two the two Malay lady staffs of the nightshift that made my stay a really awesome one. THANK YOU!

Room Tip: Be friendly to the staffs and they will be more than willing to cater to your needs :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr Adrian,

The wonderful feedback commented in your review has been great as it helps us to keep moving forward in our endeavour to improve our product and service standards.

It is with comments from valued guest like yourself which will help us to progress towards ensuring that all guest enjoyed themselves while on holiday and great to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of the entire team at Hydro Hotel Penang, we look forward to welcoming you back with us again.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very good and friendly service throughout with courtesy transport to Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi daily for shopping and meals. The hotel breakfasts were good with many varieties to choose from. On the whole an enjoyable stay and good value for money. Will surely stay there again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hydro Hotel during your holiday while in Penang !

My sincere thank you for receiving such wonderful and positive comments from yourself in the Tripadvisor review. It is definitely with comments from valued guest like yourself which will further help us to progress towards ensuring that all guest enjoyed themselves while on holiday and at the same time review and improve our product and service standards.

On behalf of my entire team, thank you once again and hope to be of service to you in your next trip back with us.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

have just returned from Penang and had a great time ,hotel was older type but everything was spotless, staff were fantastic ,breakfasts were top shelf, the staff really were great and they had a free shuttlebus into Georgetown everyday if that's what you wanted ,we booked a driver with his own vehicle I booked him from Trip Advsor review and we were not disappointed with him,a rating 11 out of 10!! he spoke very good English,always ontime [arriving 15 minutes early each time]his vehicle was spotless and gave us small talks on some of the sightseeing and took us to things we were not aware of. I have included his email address leepg2006@gmail.com,his name is Lee.

Room Tip: be tolerant of the people and you will receive the same courtesies when wanting different room,a han...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Chris6800, Public Relations Manager at Hydro Hotel Penang, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hydro Hotel during your recent visit to Penang.

Your feedback expressed in your review was indeed great and helps us to ensure how we as a hotel need to improve and progress forward. It was also great to know that you have had a wonderful and enjoyable stay here with us.

We would also like to express our thank you for the wonderful comments on the overall service extended by the entire team at the hotel as well as one of the drivers who have attended to you during your stay here in Penang.

It is with valuable and positive feedback and comments from guest like yourself which will help us to ensure that we provide the best product and service standards to all our guests.

Thank you once again and we, at Hydro Hotel Penang look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future.

Warm regards,
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wish we would have researched the reviews online more, before staying in this junk box.
Rude, over- priced, no customer service at all, unless you count "mob" like action. Not a paradise at all. I joined trip advisor just to write about how "gross" my experience was at your Hotel. The worst experience for my family.

It's fascinating how the manger responds to every comment on tripadvisor with a standard response, that's some how slightly condescending. Although he never responded to my emails regarding problems with my families stay at your hotel.

Your property needs serious improvements made.

Fix-up your property, improve your service, change your staff or close your doors. It's that simple.

Broken nonflushing toilets.
Broken Aircon
Dirty bedding
Broken tv
Broken doors
Ripped up carpeting
Bad front desk service
Blood and dirt on walls.
Filthy pool
Old food served at breakfast.
Leaking roof.
Old torn bedding
Most of all never let your staff get so rude with guests when they question changing rooms because the toilets aren't working.

All of this equates to bad management.
My experience (as well as two-couples, we met in the lobby) was so bad, and borderline abusive with the service staff, that we have all discussed turning your property into the Malaysia Tourism and Hotel Board.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chris6800, Public Relations Manager at Hydro Hotel Penang, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear sir,

Greetings from Hydro Hotel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback through Tripadvisor review regarding our product and service level at Hydro Hotel Penang.

I have spoken with the head of departments involved and gone through all reviews to gather more information about your stay and related documentations. We have never received any emails nor have records of complain from you regarding problems with your stay in September 2013.

However, results of our investigation showed that we have responded to a Tripadvisor review posted on 21st Oct 2013 and subsequently an email via Chalong Tonklongchan on 30th Oct 2013 regarding the same subject which was responded on the same day. If these are not your complains, please email us back the following details such as name of registered guest, date of check in and check out, your room number and your contact number. We will further investigate and reply accordingly if it is a different complain altogether.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced during your stay with us.

You can be assured that all your comments regarding our product and services are taken seriously. We appreciate a customer who tells us when things are not right which will assist us to remedy any problems that may exist as well as ensuring continuous improvement of our service.

Penang Island, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

television poor
Bathroom poor
Carpet poor
What!? 3.5 star hotel? I can give at least 2.5star disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed
Disappointed disappointed
D

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying with us at the Hydro Hotel during your recent visit to Penang.

Your comments posted in your review have since been acknowledged and will be looked into during our upcoming refurbishment program early next year. We, at Hydro Hotel Penang are constantly looking for ways to improve and enhance our products and services of which your positive feedback will be of great help to us.

It is with comments like yours which will help us to enhance and improve our services and product. Once again, thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to Penang and to Hydro Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Jeddah, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

First the service is poor! Staff is acting like they are busy but in fact I can tell that a lot of rooms are empty. Upon check in not even a smile and words of welcome from the receptionist.
Then the room looks old and beaten with broken faucet and not so clean tiled floor. The room is spacious though with the nice view of the ocean at the veranda. Noisy air condition too!
Breakfast is also not that good with bland dishes.
It is not well located as well coz you still have to take a ride to get into town.
Don't make the same mistake of booking yourself in this old run down hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

Thank you for staying with us at the Hydro Hotel during your recent trip to Penang.

First and foremost, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay here with us. Your feedback expressed in your review have certainly help us to review what we as a hotel needs to improve and progress forward. Your comments with regards to your experience upon check in by the Reception Desk have since been reviewed with the Head of Department to ensure that this will not re-occur in the future.

The other issues highlighted with regards to the condition of the room have since been taken up with the respective Head of Department to ensure all rooms are checked prior to guest arrival. These issues will also be looked into during our upcoming refurbishment program planned for early next year.

Thank you once again and we hope the above will not deter you from returning and we look forward to welcoming you back with us again in the future.

M. Kumar

Been to Hydro Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!