“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

You added Lone Pine Hotel to your Saves list
Lone Pine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Batu Ferringhi, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Hartland, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Lone Pine has recently been refurbished; it is the best hotel on Batu Ferringhi as it is low density, tastefully built and extremely comfortable. The beach is not great but the hotel compound is lovely - hammocks in the trees, big pool and jacuzzi. For lovely unspoilt beach go further on round the coast to the National Park.
Penny Dane, Devon

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2011
Dear ShaharudinFamily,

I trust the month of January has commenced positively and everything is well for your family & indeed you.

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our services during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

Your comments have been passed on to the respective department heads to share with their staff, to let them know that their efforts to provide quality service are being appreciated by you.

MARCO G. BATTISTOTTI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I just read through some previous revieews of this hotel, some are less then complimentary. However i notice the dates on these review are old.
i had some business in China and decided to come by Penang on the way home. Arrived at reception here and got a good rate decided to stay a week.
The hotel has recently been completly over hauled, though still retaining many colonial features it is a wonderful place to chill. (most especially after a few weeks in China).
Staff are excellent, attention levels top notch, food is good. It is a beach front property, great nights sleep listening to the lapping waves. Again, and I think I should stresss this the attention levels of the staff is really top notch, almost as i their goal in life is ur happiness while you stay here. A goal they attain with top marks.
Really excellent spot, probably wasted on me a little,
Im going to mark this one down for regular visits, especially after a few weeks in China.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear dogfooddave2000,

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed in the Lone Pine hotel in december. The hotel has been renovated since november 2010. You can definitely characterize it as a 4-5 star hotel. Fantastic rooms, plenty of choice for breakfast, beautiful sea-view, directly near the beach, very nice personnel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Dear Brendun1963,

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed for one night at this newly refurbished hotel. We called the hotel on the day of check in around 9.30am and asked if we could check in early like 10am ++. A hotel staff said he can try like 11am ++. We got to the hotel like 10.15am and were well received by the staff with a nice welcome drink. The bellman took our luggage and showed us the room. It was a nice spacious room with a king bed, spacious bathroom, a balcony overlooking the sea with a sofa, coffee table and also a bathtub! The view was very nice: swimming pools, garden, the beach/sea and the bungalow (a restaurant in the hotel). We played some water sports (run by outsiders) just in front of the hotel beach area and the rates were cheaper than the ones at the more popular spots in Batu Ferringhi. We used the pools also, they were wellkept. In the evening, we had our dinner at a nearby walking distance food court and then scrolled along the daily night market. The buffer breakfast was nice, though I wish there were more variety. Overall, the staff was friendly, always greet us with a smile. In terms of value, we paid RM380++ for the cheapest room, which I think it is a little pricey for Malaysians in general. I hope they will have some sort of promotion in near future, as I'd like to take my parents there and let them have a good holiday like I did!

Dear meames,

the3rdrock
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I'd agree with coolchique. The poorly trained staff clearly lets the hotel down despite the effort that has gone into refurbishing the hotel. A priceless example:
1. we ask the concierge for the address of Citibank in Penang.
2. she tells us to call directory enquiries and ask for the number of the bank, and then for us to call the bank ourselves to find out the address (!).
Why then clearly state in the room that the hotel provides concierge services?! This is tantamount to room service asking us to buy a broom to clean the room ourselves ...

Enough said. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until the management gets its act together.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear bonoglobetrotter,

I'm sure everything is well and the month of January is proceeding positively.

It is certainly a great pleasure to have received your feedback and I Thank you for the time you have taken to describe and give your comments in TripAdvisor.

First and foremost, do allow us to take this opportunity in extending our sincere apologies on any of the feedback that we have not met your expectations.

It is great to know on the matter which you have highlighted to us as it would allow us to make improvements and take corrective measures in ensuring your future comeback be extended with a better service.

I am sure that our service to you will not end here and as our valued guest; we would like to wish that our paths meet again in the not too distant future, and be given the opportunity to be once again of service to you!

We certainly look forward to a long and mutually meaningful business relationship and your continuous support at Lone Pine Hotel.

Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed over the new year celebration and was expecting a memorable experience. The hotel has been refurbished and looks very promising. Decor and ambience is great but the service was extremely lousy.
Front office- Staff were friendly and helpful but not efficient or tactful at all. Our check in lasted 15 minutes as the staff could not find us a ready made up room and she did not look like she knew what to do. While we look at her and wonder what was going on, she acted like we were not there. After the 15 minutes wait and allocating us to a room, she asked us to go to the bar to collect our welcome drink. We told her to forget it. We checked in after 3pm so it was not an early check in.
F&B- Nice swimming pool and decor but the service was terrible.
The restaurant next to the swimming pool was stylishly made up but the staff standing around the restaurant literally just stood there. Usually a waiter would come by to offer cold water or provide the menu but no one came. Instead we have to go to them. I asked them for a glass of water and they said that it would be sent over. After 10 minutes of waiting by the pool, I went over to the bar and was ignored. I called up to the bartender and asked for 'a glass'. He proceeded to give me a glass and went on to his job. I then called him again and asked for ice. He took the glass from me and put ice in the glass and gave it back to me. Anyway, I hope you get an idea of the kind of service I got. There were dirty and empty glasses at the side of the pool that was not cleared for more than 4 hours.
I stayed there for 4 days and see no improvement in their poolside service.
Throughout my stay there, I did not see a single senior manager walking around to greet the guests. I was saving my comments for him but since he was absent I decided to post my thoughts in TripAdvisor.
Housekeeping- Towels were forgotten and the amenities are not great. We heard that one room received pool side towels instead of the normal bath towels.
For the money it is charging it is definitely not worth while and I would not recommend it for the time being. It s a newly refurbished hotel but I don't think it is any excuse for a hotel that has been running since the late '40s. Maybe we need to give them another year or so to sort out their service and understanding of the hospitality and service industry

Dear coolchique,

I'm sure everything is well and the month of January is proceeding positively.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

We got a very good deal as it has just re-opened in November 2010. We were extremely impressed with the quality of the room (huge, with day bed room and balcony), service, facilities, location and breakfast. Very quiet in our room, despite a lot of action going on outside. Beautiful view from our room. Oh, and the best hot water shower in Asia. Hotel is located in the centre of Batu Ferringhi with restaurants and night market right out front.

Dear TonyGlenWoods,

MARCO G. BATTISTOTTI

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!