“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

You added Lone Pine Hotel to your Saves list
Lone Pine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Batu Ferringhi, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We visited Penang in December and stayed at the Lone Pine. The hotel is in a good location and the staff are very helpful.
We had 4 rooms as we travelled as a group of 8. The rooms on the second floor were all good and clean. 4 of the party had views of the pool and a clear view of the beach. These were rooms 213 and 215. The other 4 had restricted sea views and as there were 3 different weddings/events during our stay the temporary gazebo was up with a lot of noise in the evening, it also seemed to be near some sort of service building as lots of noise from catering trolleys etc. these were rooms 201 and 202. This did not impact massively on our stay and I would definitely stay at Lone Pine again.
My daughter was stung by a jellyfish and the staff were amazing, they treated her initially but then recommended we go to the clinic for medical treatment. They arranged a driver to take us in the hotel car and he waited for us and bought us back.
The breakfast was good and we had plenty of choice. We visited a few good restaurants in the evening and would recommend trying The Living Room and Enca, both within walking distance of the hotel.
Overall a very good hotel with friendly and helpful staff

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gail C,

We are very glad to hear that you and your family had a lovely time staying with us. I hope your daughter has fully recovered from the jelly fish sting. It is usually not threatening but early treatment will always be the best solution and I'm glad my associates efficiently reacted for your daughter. I have to apologize for the sound of trolleys as the movements on uneven grounds closed to the rooms created that. I have already advised my banquet department to be more cautious on this and mind the comfort of our in-house guests. We hope that you and your big entourage will visit us again soon in the near future. Please let me wish you a wonderful and productive year ahead and may all of you be blessed with good health. Thank you very much.

Khoo Boo Lim
EAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Lone Pine in Batu Ferringhi in early November last year for one week on a side trip from Hong Kong, where we'd been to visit our daughter. It proved to be quite a good time to be there as it was 'between seasons' and fairly quiet, although the weather was a bit hit and miss with occasional heavy showers, but not enough to dampen our spirits. The hotel is located quite centrally on the main drag of BF but lays back from the road and is conveniently located right on the beach, like many of the other hotels along this strip. We were made very welcome on our arrival but were slightly early and our room wasn't quite ready, but we were offered cold drinks during the short time we had to wait. We were allocated room 216 on the second floor of the main building, which overlooked the pool area and beach, with a nice balcony incorporating a spa bath/jacuzzi and plenty of room to sit and relax. It was quite a spacious room and we particularly liked the open plan, minimalist design and the large shower room area. There was was all the usual tea/coffee making facilities, minibar and in-room safe, an essential for today's security conscious travellers. The first night we ate at the hotel as it was easy, we were a bit tired and they had a nice looking buffet on the go. No complaints. In fact we ended up having buffet dinners at the various hotels along the strip several nights, plus dinner on two nights at a nearby restaurant called Magic One, which was also quite nice. Although people seem to rave on about the Long Beach restaurants on this site, I personally wouldn't eat there if you paid me, it might cheap but it's also nasty and simply not my idea of eating out on holiday, or at any time come to that. If you want to splash out on a really nice dinner whilst you're there, stroll along to the Rasa Saying Hotel, about 250 metres up the road to the left of the hotel, on a Monday or Tuesday night, where they do a mega 'bogof' buffet of superbly cooked dishes of almost every oriental cuisine you can think of, and more, in a very nice setting. Ok, it may not be 'where the locals eat' but it stacked up to a very enjoyable evening, which after all is what a holiday is all about. We took a trip into Georgetown one day but it turned out to be the normal sort of hang-a-sign-on anything-that-looks-old-and-historic-and-call-it-a-tourist-spot type of place that I've seen all over the world in the last 50 years, so it didn't exactly rock my personal boat. There was a night market on the main drag each night that was worth taking a stroll along after dinner but after a few nights one had seen all that was on offer, but that's not to say it wasn't interesting and my wife invariably did a bit of shopping along the way. So, all in all BF was ok but I wouldn't necessarily go there again, given there are so many wonderful places to visit in that section of the world. Overall I enjoyed our stay at the Lone Pine and personally thought the service we received there was excellent, no complaints. We definitely didn't suffer from any sort of pollution, noise or otherwise, as other travellers have indicated, but then as I said at the beginning, we did go between seasons and it was fairly quiet, so I guess we maybe got lucky. My only, constructive, criticism would be the bar. It's badly situated near the reception area which is nowhere near the beach and overall is very uninviting. There were beanbags scattered about making it look as though they were expecting a class of children any minute. They had a small band playing there most evenings but mainly to an empty place. People tended to look in but there was little going on to make them want to stay. Better to wander along the beach to one of the other hotels or bars and enjoy a nice nightcap or three by the beach, listening to the sound of waves lapping over the sand in the moonlight.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 216 which was very roomy and comfortable.
Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gaspin,

Well looks like you have done quite a bit of exploring on the beach and heritage side of Penang island. I think your comments on your overall experiences were very fair and honest, especially coming from a regular discerning traveler like you, and I respect that. I"m sure you have many other destinations to visit and experience but should you have a change of heart and come back to this part of the world, we would most gladly hope you come stay with us again. If this could be a good reason for you to do so then I will definitely do my best to allocate the same room 216 but advance notice would be very much appreciated. Please allow me to wish you a wonderful and productive year ahead and stay healthy. Thank you.

Khoo Boo Lim
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I went there from 23 Dec to 26 Dec. We didn’t have high expectation in the first place but we certainly did not expect to have such a 'treat'. First when we arrived we weren’t served welcome drinks while the couple before us had that. That unwelcome feeling was quickly dissipated as the staff who carried our luggage to our room was very nice and polite. Then came the first shock: we discovered a used razor in an open bag (was once in an air tight bag) in the toilet! And then at the corner of the bathroom there was a rather noticeable spider web with a spider crawling in it. That WAS NOT the only place we noticed there were unwelcome creature in the room, as we found out there was another big spider web with a spider at the light switch of the table lamp next to our bed. We called the front desk and complained about it. The person who answered the phone was apologetic but fell short of offering us any comfort (such as to improve the cleanliness of the room during our stay).

The hotel was extremely noisy as we heard jet skies (from the public beach) and children screaming (from the swimming pool) during the day and motor-bikes engine roaming at night (from the main road) till 1 to 2 am. We were looking for a quiet and relaxing trip but certainly Lone Pine failed to offer that.

The most frustrating part, however, was the poor service. For instance, we called the front desk to get restaurant reservations outside of our hotel. The front desk lady said she couldn’t get through as the number was not working and suggested us to walk over to the restaurant to reserve a table in person (ingenious suggestion). When we arrived at the restaurant we found that there was actually a phone there and it’s functional. Re. housekeeping, we asked for the bed-sheet to be changed but it didn’t get changed (we recognized the bed-sheet as it had a rather noticeable hole in it). There is a saying ‘save the best for last’ and we did get our biggest shock on the day we departed. When I opened a food tray at the buffet breakfast I noticed there was a bee crawling in it. I immediately told the waitress about it. She opened the tray, stirred the food really hard and closed it! She didn’t even change the food inside! I strongly suspect the purpose of her stirring was to bury the insect so that no one else noticed about it. We were speechless at this stage and all we wanted to do was to go home.

My wife and I are frequent travelers and this resort hotel easily ranks as the most ‘unbelievable’ we have ever visited.

Room Tip: As far away from the main restaurant and swimming pool as possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AngryPanda888,

Your comments of your recent stay with us look like a pratfall for us. It was rather unfortunate but it seems like your negative assumptions were already descanted even before your arrival. We do not claimed to be perfect but some of your feedback seemed to be precariously palpable in describing us as an equivalent to revulsion. Your description may have made a blimp in our reputation but I believe we would not be rated so highly by the majority of our guests if we are incapable in meeting their requirements and expectations. Anyway we would like to apologize for all the shortcomings that you have experienced and will duly advise the various departments to seriously look into taking the necessary precautions to avoid future disappointments. I hope your pseudonym does not depict the kind of person you are as we hope you will accept our response positively as well as we have accepted yours.

Khoo Boo :Lim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Highlight for us was the overall ambience of the place, a romantic chilled out beach getaway under the pine trees by the beach.

Really enjoyed our room, very spacious, perhaps we lucked out a little when we got a corner room that was pretty much a suite with another attached bedroom that we ended up using as a solar to lounge around. Also did really like the small outdoor jacuzzi on the balcony that was a real treat to soak taking in the sounds of the beach below, sea-breeze and then the sunset.

The room is modern and a little minimalist. They've redone it nicely modernly updating what you can see is an older building that's been on the premises for a while. Comfy bed, full facilities. Not much of a minibar and the fresh fruit platter was one orange and one apple. Ho hum. Have heard that others found it noisy tho' we didn't experience that at all.

Liked those tepee-like Cabanas, managed to get one, loaded up a few towels and sprawled out on it for much of the day. Not too much of a pool, and we didn't even get out onto the public beach beyond the gates.

Couldn't fault the service which was fine, concierge was helpful as can be expected.

Food. Breakfast buffet... sure its a wide spread but did feel that it was pretty average, the overall standard not up to what we had expected of the famed Penang hawker fare. Perhaps we were spoilt having hit the hawker stalls downtown the night before which was just too good and ended up comparing that with what was served up.
Stayed well away from the food stalls just outside the hotel on the main strip, sure looked like there was quite a bit of variety there but had the distinct 'tourist' stamp on it. Got a recommendation from the bellboy to head down to a good place in town instead.

I'd stay there again. Good value for what it is, knowing that we're just looking for a quiet romantic place to sprawl.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After staying for a week at the Eastern & Oriental (their sister hotel in George Town), the Lone Pine was, sadly, a disappointment. The Lone Pine is located in Batu Ferringhi, which is a beach side town that caters to tourists. The Lone Pine is located right on the main drag. The design, from the architecture to the interiors to the grounds, is all really well done, a lot of details thought through, choice of materials, color pallette, furnishings, etc. -- all came together to evoke a laid-back, beachy vibe with global, modern, eco sensibility. I really wanted to love the Lone Pine. However, two big issues. First, the property is showing some signs of wear and tear, meaning lack of routine maintenance, e.g. changing of light bulbs, replacing worn items. Also, due to the beach location and humidity, mildew and mold are a constant issue to contend with. Unfortunately, the hotel hasn't kept up. The other big issue is the noise pollution. The pictures online and the name of the hotel suggest some sort of peaceful retreat. That's definitely NOT the case. Right in front of the hotel, on the ocean side, there is the constant buzz of jetskis, from morning to just before sunset. On the other side, the street side, there is the gunning of motorcycles pretty much all day/night long until 1/2 am. The hotel is very child-friendly, so there are a lot of families with young children, who like most young children, cry and shout and run around and make noise. As we found out, there is a some sort of karaoke place next to the hotel which goes into the early morning hours (at least it did when we were here on Saturday night). And, the hotel does wedding receptions on the lawn, with live music and wedding speeches, etc. blasting so loud you feel like part of the wedding. Actually, I was kind of enjoying the steel guitar covers of Eagles and Carpenters but then the dinner part of the reception was over and guests started taking over the mike from the pros. Never a good thing, no matter what culture/country. And it's 11pm at night. In all, I wouldn't recommend the hotel for anyone wanted to get away to a quiet, peaceful retreat. However, I would recommend it for party go-ers/night owls -- though it wasn't really a young, hip scene (being child friendly, seemed to attract a lot of families). I wish I could have moved the hotel to a different beach, far away from all the noise pollution -- it still would not have been perfect but the sound of the waves (which you can hear but only at around 3-4:30am) would have helped me overlook the slightly shabby edges. In all, visually appealing design hotel but downright offensive to the auditory senses.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
West Bay, Grand Cayman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

stayed here at the beginning of december booked for 10 nights but only stayed 2 due to personal reasons, tried to get some rest on our first night but this was impossible we had kids in the room up above running around moving furniture shouting everything, tried to call reception to complain but the phone was broken, so i had to get dressed & go to reception to complain, eventually that got sorted, then you have to put up with the noisy motorbikes on the highway outside the hotel, breakfast was poor flies & ants everywhere & the selection was very malaysian, we sat by the pool later on to catch up on our sleep to my sheer amazement we tried to get drinks nobody seemed interested 2 pool attendants where playing soccer then at 4pm somebody decided it was a good idea to bring a drinks menu out....!!!!! oh & i think if your a woman you'll get second rate service too & be spoken to disrespectfully, the room was very clean just very noisy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

comfortable and large room
good food , excellent breakfasts
excellent location and view
enjoyed the beach
very nice pool
wont comment about the price since it was a free gift trip for me so im actually not sure how much it was exactly
but it was really great

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!