“so much character, its beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

You added Lone Pine Hotel to your Saves list
Lone Pine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Batu Ferringhi, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
KL
“so much character, its beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a charming hotel!The staff was very helpful, the service great, and the neighborhood is terrific just a walking distance to Ferringhi Pasar Malam. I plan to return and can't wait to try one of the special rooms!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Khoo B, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear KainBatik,

Short and sweet! Thank you very much for your kind review and we will look forward to your promise to return soon. Take care and wishing you a productive year ahead.

EAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a very pleasant five nights stay at the Lone Pine in June 2013. Our room was quite stylish in a somewhat minimalist way for an Asian hotel and my only complaint would be the somewhat soft pillows. We found the bathroom design somewhat unusual especially the sliding glass door enclosing the toilet . I mean why bother if you can see through it anyway. Perhaps frosted glass would be a good idea. On the plus side the outside bath on the balcony was very relaxing and I thought a great idea. Meals at the hotel were nice although not quite Shangri La standard. Staff were very helpful and courteous especially the concierge desk. Checking out was a bit of a drama because the staff member involved didn't seem to know how to work an EFTPOS machine. After rejecting all my cards she eventually called someone else who came and managed to sort the problem out very quickly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Khoo B, Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Perthcott,

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and appreciate your constructive feedback with regards to some issues you have experienced. Normally the pillows placed in the room are of the same quality and standard but we do have different type of pillows available for our guests preference. I am not sure if you requested for it from our Housekeeping Department but please advise us on your next visit and we will provide you with the type of pillow you require. We have taken note of your other comments and do our best to improve. We hope you will visit us again and I will be happy to meet up with you. Have a good and productive year ahead.

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely hotel. Right on the beach we were welcomed with an icy drink and a cold towel. The room was lovely and well appointed, with an enormous bathroom, and all rooms have a view of the beach. Because it is only three storeys and is quite small it felt much more intimate than one of the larger hotels. We received fruit each day and a complimentary minibar. Breakfast selections were extensive and changed regularly. There was a proliferation of good eating places nearby. Even though we didn't use the bath on the balcony it was an interesting concept!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JaneKate,

Thank you for a wonderful review and we are glad that you have found your stay with us to be most satisfying and fulfilling. We hope that you will come visit us again and you probably have to as you have yet to experience using the outdoor bath on the balcony :-). Please keep in touch and we wish you a blessed and wonderful year ahead.

Khoo Boo Lim EAM
Wandering Kiwi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Lone Pine has a lot to recommend it. It has been stylishly and sympathetically renovated (in a kind of retro Asian neutral meets Ikea vibe), it wasn't crowded when I was there, the gardens, pool and eponymous pines are lovely (if you don't mind pine needles pretty much everywhere) and most of the staff are charming and friendly.

I had previously stayed here, pre its renovation in 1997, and for nostalgia's sake booked one of the Premium Garden rooms in the old building, which I came to regret but didn't change as I was only on a short stopover. The room itself is spacious with a wonderful bed and gorgeous bathroom, but is let down by a few design details - fabulous bath but nowhere to put soap etc anywhere near it, light switch for the loo around the corner from the door to the loo, nowhere to hang wet swimming costumes except a towel rail in the toilet area which got no air or sun so nothing dried. Small things but annoying.

The biggest negative about the PG room is the 'patio/courtyard' area which is actually more a shuttered room and which opens straight on to the main pathway in front of the old building. It has a comfy daybed and a nice table and chairs but I found it hard to relax in (especially at night) as, with the shutters open it felt quite insecure, when noone else was around, or exposed and noisy, when there were others around. It also didn't get much breeze and so felt a bit muggy. With the shutters closed there was not really any point in having it. If I return I would definitely go for one of the more standard 'deluxe' rooms for security, privacy, view and breeze.

Breakfast at The Bungalow was included in my room rate and great - a huge range of local and international choices plus made-to-order char kway teow, eggs, pancakes and waffles. I only ate one other meal there, on the day I arrived, and was very unimpressed. I ordered the Prawn Salad (one of the most expensive dishes on the menu) which consisted of three tiny prawns on a mountain of roughly chopped capsicum, dotted with a few olives. I asked for a sparkling mineral water and was told that they'd run out, so I pointed out that people at the nearby table had some, which was greeted with a hurrumph from the waitress and the grumpy (eventual) delivery of a bottle. There were only 3 tables full of guests and about 8 staff, yet 20 minutes after finishing my 'salad' (I should have sent it back but was ravenous) I had to ask for my plate to be cleared and for the dessert menu, which never came, so I went and signed my bill at the bar and left.

So, not perfect, but nothing which can't easily be fixed with a bit of care and attention. Some of the staff were real assets to the place - Sel and Mariyan especially - and I would happily return but would stay in a different room and not eat anything but breakfast in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Premium Garden room (see review) unless perhaps you have kids, as it would be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Bloodgroup,

We are indeed honored to have you back again as our guest but regretfully we didn't seem to get everything right for you this time. We really appreciate your constructive feedback and we have taken note of the ares that you have highlighted and related back to the respective departments to take the necessary measures to improve or change. I would appreciate very much if you could contact directly should you decide to visit us again and I shall do my very best to ensure a wonderful and satisfying stay for you. Thank you very much again for your review and feedback and we wish you a blessed and productive year ahead.

Walsall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in March 2013. The hotel was busy particularly with children as it was Easter. Staff were really nice, room was a great size and very modern. Swimming pool and sunbeds were great and restaurant for lunch was perfect. There were themed nights in the restaurant but we chose to eat out at the many local restaurants. Hotel right on the beach so a good walk after lunch was nice to do.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andy W,

We are very delighted that you and your partner have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have found the facilities and services up to your expectations. We hope you will come back to stay with us again in the future should you decide to pick Penang again as your holiday destination but hopefully this time you will spend a bit more time experiencing the F&B outlets in the hotel. :-) Have a wonderful year ahead!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

What could have been a very nice holiday was marred by a wedding reception that was held in the evening and right outside our suite. It was bad enough that the sound proofing in the room was poor, the hotel thought it would be a great idea to allow a (very loud and noisy) wedding reception from 6pm to 11pm. And instead of having the setup facing the sea (in which case the sound would disperse), the stage was set up facing inwards ie facing guest rooms. What a great idea. And to make matters worst, we stayed there with a 9 month old baby who was trying to sleep. We made it clear that we were checking in with a baby as we had requested for a baby cot in the room and yet they decided to place us right in front of the party on the 1st floor and the room was only accessible by the stairs. We had joy lugging the stroller up and down.

I wonder if the hotel ever thought it would make sense to inform their guests of such events when taking reservations.

Now for the room... Cleanliness in the room was not great. There were ants. And housekeeping did a poor job in replenishing our daily entitlement of free drinks and fruits. Not that we were consuming all of the freebies but still disappointing that their service fell short of our expectation.

Breakfast area had plenty of flies... Can't really blame the hotel as I don't expect them to be able to command flies but can't really say its not their fault either.

Be sure to ask for softer pillows if you end up with the foot high rocks they call pillows.

On the positive side, the staff were really friendly. Some even very helpful. The Japanese restaurant, Matsu, was good. Reasonably priced and good quality food.

Room Tip: Try other hotels around the area. You will probably get better rates too.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Yew Ming,

We would to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation for your constructive comments. It is with much regret that you and your family have to experienced all the shortcomings during your stay with us. We have taken note and conveyed the message through to the respective departments to ensure that these are not repeated in future. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly as I would like to make amends for your disappointing stay with us. It is not our intention to provide such an experience for any of our guests. I would really appreciate if you could write directly to me. We wish you and your family well for the year ahead and I look forward to hear from you soon.

Bukit Mertajam, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was the first time i was trying out this place after its extensive refurbishment a few yrs back. The place itself looks gorgeous and the layout of the hotel was beautiful esp with the casuarina trees and etc. Check in was very good and efficient. They served us with welcome drink and wet towel right at the lobby and front desk personnel was so efficient with a warm smile and gentle service ( Misha was her name i think ). The room was in excellent condition and it felt like we were in a very modern colonial kinda room. Beds and pillows were good, bathroom was excellent and huge and surprisingly the tub was in the balcony which was superb. I was celebrating my Mom's birthday there and the complimentary cake was a nice touch!!! There was even a separate small room with a day bed lounge ( super deluxe room ) which was a nice touch.... The pool was good.... Breakfast was very nice , esp the wok fried noodles corner where the chef will whip up the noodles and koay teow right in front of you.... Overall i would say, it was a very nice trip and my kudos to all the staff there for your warm welcome... I will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Balan3,

Lone Pine has been in existence since 1948 and during our recent refurbishment, the architect has made sure that the new additions will not dismiss the old nostalgic feeling and setting that the hotel is proud of. We are very delighted to see that you and your family have appreciated this as well as the services you have received from us. We shall hold on to your commitment of coming back and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you and have a great year ahead.

EAM

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!