“Our second home this will be our 6th holiday to the Bayview an it never disappoints” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Bayview Beach Resort to your Saves list
Bayview Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We returned in may this year with my mum an dad only to find the staff all waiting to welcome us back they are the friendliest staff I've met an are one of the main reasons we keep returning from the time we check in with the lovely reception staff to the towel boys the pool bar an the foot massagers they are a credit an we have met the manager many times an I only hope that nothing changes and we have just booked to return the same time next year and can't wait we even book the same rooms

• Stayed May 2013
BayviewBeachResortPg, Edwin Yap, Area General Manager at Bayview Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear stokies2011,

Thank you for being our loyal guests over the past years enjoying each and every stay with us. Indeed, I am so glad our team have served you well yet again to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. Undoubtedly, our friendly, caring and efficient team is our biggest asset as they definitely will make the difference when we consistently serve all our guests well; whether new or returnees! We are encouraged to do better and we will aim for more positive service excellence delivery.

We look forward to welcoming you and family back again next year to your second ‘home’ for another enjoyable holiday.

950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went there with an organized tour group so i cannot share much of the reception. I stayed in a 4-bedded room with a queen/king(?) sized bed and 2 single beds. The room's decor is back-dated but comfortable enough. Only draw-back of the room is that there's only 1 toilet with 4 ladies "fighting" over it.

My room has a lovely view of the beach (Thumbs up!) however, my friend's room was facing the hill/road (not much of a view). It's just beside hard-rock cafe and you can simply drop by for a quick chill-out session.

It's about 5-10mins walk out to the night markets and other restaurant area.

Room Tip: Request for the room with sea-view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BayviewBeachResortPg, Edwin Yap, Area General manager at Bayview Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Michy_27,

Thank you for your lovely comments of our hotel during your tour group stay here and rating us with a 4/5 score. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the view from your room with sufficient beds to accommodate 4 persons.

As you said we are a short walk away from the night markets, for the convenience of our guests, we are providing a free one way shuttle at 7.30 pm every evening for guests who opt for a short ride instead.

It was a pleasure to have served you and your friends well and we look forward to welcoming you back perhaps when you next plan to return for another holiday in Penang on your own.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Staff no greeting when meet guest. Some of room equipment can't function. Water dirty (yellow colour and smell). Hotel no renovation and facilities very old. Lobby should be have air conditioning. Not reserved parking for guest, others can park in hotel car park. Newspaper should put in plastics and hang on door handle.

• Stayed September 2013
BayviewBeachResortPg, Edwin Yap, Area General Manager at Bayview Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear kennyloh888,

I am disappointed that you found our staff discourteous as we are not known for unfriendly services. Please accept my apology for the poor impression you have received. I would appreciate if you could be so kind to send us a message to advise on the details of your stay here for me to identify the errant staff and room number to rectify the initial “yellowish water” problem encountered. The period you had stayed here could be during one of the days when there was a function which resulted in the parking areas being full despite having the largest hotel carpark in Batu Ferringhi.

I hope to hear from you soon for us to improve our services so that we may be able to serve you better. Thank you.
Secret Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We thought we would try this hotel as we normally stay closed to the night-markets. It was clean, staff were polite, rooms were huge, beds were comfortable and the pool area was well used by all of us, the pool bar was a novelty. For us, it was a little too far away from the main drag.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rigden3,

We are located on the quitter side of bustling Batu Ferringhi and for the convenience of our guests, we are providing a free one way shuttle every evening for guests who opt for a short ride to the night market.

We are delighted that overall you liked our staff service, pool area with its sunken bar and spacious rooms with its huge beds that have accommodated you comfortably. We would like to welcome you back perhaps for another relaxing stay at a beach resort. Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 18 March to 23 March 2013 as first part of my Asia trip which included Malaysia and Singapore. Arrived in Penang International airport around 18H10 after taking an air asia flight from Kuala Lumpur having travelled from Johannesburg Via Dubai. We took one of the airport taxis which you can get a voucher for just out side the airport on the upper level. It took us about an hour to reach the hotel as it seemed to be peak hour. The main foyer of the hotel is quite impressive and we were promptly checked in. The room had a musty smell of wet carpet as soon as we stepped in and it seemed it had not been occupied for a while. I was already getting dark and I could see the view from the balcony was of the mountains and a partial view of the sea. The room was clean and spacious with a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The decor of the room was however dated and furniture and carpets looked like they were very old. We went downstairs to the bar after freshening up to collect our complimentary drink. Which consisted of a mini glass about 150ml of lemon soda with some kind of tonic. There was not a single soul in site except for the barman and the 2 reception staff. We found it quite odd for such a large hotel. I read about the hotel having about 3 restaurants and decided to have our dinner there. After going to the basement level to find where the restaurants were located we found the place to be equally deserted. Both the restaurants seemed to be closed and the third one did have on person that we could spot. After enquiring further we found that this one was indeed open but nobody was there. The menu had a good mix of local and chinese dishes. The prices seemed a bit steep to us and a can of coke alone was about RM9 ++ . I only realised after venturing out the next day why the restaurants were so deserted. Food of good quality was available everywhere outside the hotel and there was no extra charges for services and tax etc. A coke for example averages around RM3. So who in their right mind would want to pay more than 3 times the price for the same thing. Having said that my wife ordered the nonya chicken curry that same night and I ordered some kind of seafood stir fry. The food was excellent and very well prepared. But we never ate there again. Too much variety and and value for money available elsewhere.
After a good night sleep was a pleasant surprise to find the local newspaper under our door first thing in the morning. This only happened for twice of the 5 nights we were there. We proceeeded to the buffet breakfast which was served at the same place we ate the previous night. It was good to see a few more guests around. The buffet breakfast was decent with a good selection of cereals and fresh fruits as well as other items if you prefer a hot breakfast. There was no signs for bacon or any pork products around. You could have eggs prepared according to your preference and and omelette done with your choice of ingredients. Overall we found the breakfast perfectly adequate. From the breakfast verandah we already saw people taking advantage of the pool. We only realised the next day that by 11 am it was too hot to sit near or at the pool. The pool at this hotel is really good and very well taken care of. We spent the most of the following day in the pool. It is very clean and not even a leaf can be seen in the water even though it is in the middle of the garden. Has a nice section as well with jacuzzi effect. Very relaxing. In front of the hotel there is a lovely grassy section lined with palm trees leading straight onto the beach. Bulk of the guests at the hotel and hanging around the pool area seemed to be retired Australian couples. The beach in front of the hotel is nice and quiet but not a single person was in the water. When I took a walk outside the hotel onto the street I realised there was a huge storm water/sewer drain which ran along the side of the hotel and straight into the sea just in front of the hotel...lovely. The watersports organised by the hotel are highly overpriced and it seemed very few guests use them.
The location of this hotel is excellent to explore the rest of penang. A few metres from the hotel you can catch a rapid penang bus to most places and cheaply. Many tourist attractions are near the hotel like the spice gardens and butterfly farm. You can easily walk from this hotel to the night markets which are lined all the way to the left of the hotel after dark. I have to commend the staff of this hotel for their hard work and dedication. Even though the hotel is old and many things need a revamp it is not the fault of the staff. Every corner of this hotel is neat and clean. Our rooms especially were cleaned twice a day. With fresh towels each time. It was very nice to come back from long day at the pool to find fresh towels and a clean room.
My one pet hate about this hotel that I have to mention is an annoying bird thats starts screaming from sunrise and doesnt stop till sunset. I followed the noise one day to find that the locals have birds in cages just next to the hotel on the beach. The bird with the annoying noise was the same type as the one in the cage. It seems that a pair was separated and the free one calls out non-stop. If you are easily irritated I would avoid this place and area in general as this noise goes on non stop. Management of this hotel should really do something about this. Spoils the peace of an otherwise good hotel. The bottom foyer has a strange musty smell and it appears to be coming from the indoor palm trees that they have there. I never saw a manager or supervisor around in the 6 days that I was there. The reception staff were very efficient and helpful and even printed out my flight tickets for me for no charge as the internet cafe accross the road did not want to print it out unless I paid for half hour internet access. The room has free wifi internet but signal on the fifth floor is quite poor. The hotel had very limited occupancy when we were there I would estimate <30 percent. We were not even offered the option of a better room. I would have been more than happy to pay extra for a room with a better view. If you are arranging a taxi from the hotel to the airport the concierge is very reliable. But be careful after 11pm the surcharge for a taxi is very high(almost double). Overall we had a good stay at the hotel. If the hotel would charge more reasonable prices for its food and activities I think more guests would support them rather than going outside.

Room Tip: Higher floors have poor internet access. Rooms facing the mountain dont see the sun till quite late.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vin n,

Further to your posting that you have stayed in March this year which had been one of the quietest month of the year, the Hotel has since undergone renovation of our rooms & facilities. Our open non air-conditioned corridor leading into an air-conditioned bedroom may give some guests the smell of dampness due to the different ambient temperature which does not take long getting used to.

Regrettably, we concede we cannot compete with the illegal and unlicensed operators with no compliance costs selling at cheaper prices. However the hotel offers a convenient and hygienic place to have your food & drinks with Happy Hours offers at certain times in the various outlets, including our value meals from 6.30 to 9.30 pm with the Happy Hours Dining (ask for the Light & Easy menu) in the evenings at our La Veranda restaurant.

Regarding your comment on the sound of the birds, indeed we were not aware or heard any mention of it before. I am sorry you have encountered the lack of management presence during your stay but rest assured we are serious about offering excellent services and facilities and we rely on strong teamwork of ALL staff to achieve that and thank you for positively endorsing our team

It was a pleasure to have been of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel was fine,the rooms are spacious, decor is a little dated but not run down. The staff were really lovely and helpful, we enjoyed the pool and swim up bar. There was lots of food on offer for breakfast and a lovely Indian restaurant tucked away on the ground floor. We did go into Georgetown quite a bit on the bus, so might have been better to book somewhere closer, but I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kiwitraveller025,

Thank you for your positive endorsement of happily willing to stay here again and we look forward to welcoming you back and extend another enjoyable experience on your return to the Bayview Beach Resort.
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our Family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children 5 and under, stayed in Sept 2013. When we arrived we had to wait over 15 min before being checked in. I had e-mailed 2 requests to the hotel in advance, neither of which were organized, but I had to request again and was charged extra, although I had prior confirmation it would be included. We waited over an hour for our luggage to be brought up and in the end I walked down and got it myself. To my disappointment there was 3 porters just standing around doing nothing whilst we were waiting for our luggage. Although the main bed, 2 doubles pushed together, was big, the blood stains on the sheets was very off putting. The pillows smelt like they had been in the washer too long and the blankets were worn to threads.
The room had a sign advising the cost of pillows, sheets, etc. but none for the cost of items in the minibar or Laundry.
The hotel advertises a free shuttle to town, but not so, you could order a taxi at an extra cost. The restaurants was Very expensive and the Room Service Menu is the same as by the pool, so also expensive. There are only other Hotels restaurants within walking distance, so without a car you are stranded. Was very disappointed that the pool area closes already at 7-7.30pm. With a little bit of training of their staff and a bit more thought behind their Food & Beverage outlets this could have be a much better place. I do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: What ever you do, don't get a mountain view room, it over looks the road, that is VERY Noisy!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BayviewBeachResortPg, Edwin Yap, Area General Manager at Bayview Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Yellowelli,

I am sorry for the poor impression you had during your recent stay here with your delayed check in and that your advance e-mail request was not met up with. We have checked our “Customer Care” logbook that would have recorded any adverse guests’ feedback and our rectifications but we cannot locate any complaints in September that matched your description of the shortcomings you have encountered. I am certain my team will rectify any inadequacies that would have prevented the negative tone of all subsequent experience of our product or services. I would appreciate if you could kindly use the Trip Advisor’s private message to advise us your room number, dates and name registered so that I can investigate your reported incidents and revert to you accordingly.

For guests’ convenience, we do provide a free one way shuttle for guests who opt for a short ride to the nearby night market on a first-come first-served basis at 7.30pm daily. However we have not advertise any free shuttle to town (which is 18km away) as reported; may I know where you have seen this “free shuttle to town” advertisement?

Further to your comment on our restaurant prices, the hotel offers a convenient and hygienic place to have your food & drinks with Happy Hours deals at certain times in the various outlets, including our value meals from 6.30 to 9.30 pm with Happy Hours Dining (ask for the Light & Easy menu) at our La Veranda restaurant. If you are comparing prices to the illegal & unlicensed eateries outside or the sanctioned hawkers centre, then I concede we are unable to compete with them.

We hope to hear from you soon so that we can ensure that your “poor experience” is put right as we are normally known for great service with value, which regrettably we don’t seem to have extended to you & your family recently. We hope we will be given an opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Thank you.

Been to Bayview Beach Resort? Share your experiences!