“Malaysian hospitality at its best....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Malaysia
“Malaysian hospitality at its best....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

Our family stayed at Park Royal Resort from 15-18 Dec 2010. It was nothing short of brilliant especially for the kids (ranging frm 4-10 years. The service was outstanding right from the time I contacted the GM (which I got an immediate response from him with a follow up email from his staff) prior to our visit, up till the end when the concierge within minutes from our call whisked our bags from our room right up to our car at the end of the holiday. We booked 2 deluxe rooms which had a partial seaview and got thru check in very swiftly - done at the hotel lobby which was nicely decorated – very tropical Xmas setting. The rooms were reasonably sized, clean, good enough to accommodate a family of four in each room. The beds & pillows were comfortable and the toilet had a shower in the bath.

Half an hour after settling in our rooms, we got a courtesy call frm the front desk asking us if everything was ok and shortly thereafter, a complimentary plate of tropical fruits was delivered to our rooms which I thought was a very nice way of welcoming the hotel guests.

Highlights of our trip were:-
1. Good & professional service – can’t say enough of how friendly, helpful and courteous the staff of this hotel was during our stay. Malaysian hospitality at its best !!
2. 2 free form pools, one with a slide & wadding area which was great for the kids and their parents looking on.
3 Fantastic breakfast buffet - especially the famous local dish - Penang Char kuey tiow (fried rice noodles) which was fried before u as you ordered. Thanks Rockyzard, the chef that executed the perfectly fried Kuey tiow at total of 14 times for our entire troupe .
4. The Coconut Club and the lovely Zubaidah that entertained the younger kids allowing the parents to rest or have some alone time.
5.The Massage & Reflexology@ the huts by the pool which is highly recommended. We had ours done when it was slightly drizzling outside - such bliss...
6. Plenty deck chairs available eventhough the hotel was running on high occupancy.
6. Convenience store across the road from the hotel to buy snacks or drinks to feed the hungry children after their swim.
7. Short walk to the night market which offered fantastic bargains.
8. Room service had good kids menu which was reasonably priced and good portions.

Perhaps 1 small gripe which I may have is the ventilation at the gym although the fitness manager did his utmost best to increase the air circulation with a fan.

All in all we had a great stay. The hotel certainly had a family theme going on here. Will we be coming back here again? Most definitely! My lil girl of 4 years didn't want to leave!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedbacks with us, it is always very important to all of us at the Resort, to enable us to constantly improve our services befitted to all our guests.

With my Team we are delighted to hear that we have succeeded in creating a memorable hotel experience for you and your family.
This is probably our best reward to all of us here at the Resort and it help us to boost our the Team moral to perform even better and assuring that we constantly exceed our guests satisfactions.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next trip in Penang.

Have a wonderful new Year ahead, full of joy, happiness, success, prosperity and good health.

Very sincerely,

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Stayed here for family wedding for 5 days .. very good .. right on the beach and near to restaurants ..on a strip of hotel complexes .. food outside the hotel at local food outlets is very very cheap but on site expect to pay prices similar to home .Stayed on a package inclusive of breakfast which was very good asian oriental and european choices... bistro was average , bar food good .. Tiffin a la carte restaurant was closed. All the staff were outstanding .used the spa ..excellent . overall very good but rooms and pool area need a little tlc now .. some painting going on by the pool while we were there .. coconut palms ,sea breeze and paint !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

What strike me most was the hotel staff spontaneous thoughtfulness and generosity to upgrade our twin beds to 2 queen size though we did not request for the change as it was intended for 2 paying adults. (We had a 8 yr old nephew sharing the room with us).

We're very appreciative of the kind gesture !

Hotel in general was well maintained, clean and staff were courteous, friendly and always have a smile on.

The night market was conveniently located just outside the hotel.

I've never felt so relaxed on a 3D2N trip before but alas it was too short.
We will definitely be back some day.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

This hotel is grossly overpriced for what it is - run down interior, musty rooms, noisy and nasty beach. Seriously, don't bother. Go to Georgetown!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedbacks with us as it is always very important to all of us at the Resort to enable us to constantly improve our services befitted to all our guests inclusive your goodself.

I very sincerely regret and apologise for any discomfort we may have caused and I do sincerely regret that we did not have the opportunity to meet as we could have surely had the possibly to resolve some issues which were not to your liking during your stay and created a more memorable experience.
In future if you have any difficulties or issues with the hotel, please, please, please do contact us immediately, we will do our very best to assist and assure you a pleasant stay with us.

In regards of the beach regrettably the beach in Malaysia is a Public space however the State Government is taking the necessary step before the year end to remove certain activities and control the water-sport for all beach lovers’ comfort. We do our best to maintain our resort front and are planning to establish a delimited swimming area for the guests comfort.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your next trip in Penang and will hopefully prove to you this poor experience was only an accident and not the norm of PARKROYAL Penang Resort where our aim is to ensure all our guests leave with memorable hotel experiences.

Have a wonderful New Year ahead, full of joy, happiness, success, prosperity and good health.
Very sincerely,

Francois
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

With my dad born and raised in Malaysia, naturally, I am a frequent visitor. But when I first touched down in Penang with my family in 2004, I never expected to continually return almost every year from then on.

Every time I arrive at the beautiful Parkroyal, I am greeted with the friendliest staff, no matter what time of day. Check-in is pleasantly quick, you recieve your keys swiftly and are helped to the elevators. The room my girlfriend and I get is the Lanai suite. A two bathroom suite with a lounge area, balcony and seperate bedroom. It comes with 2 TVs, a DVD player and free internet access, plus a day bed, so immediately, whenever I'm there I feel right at home. The views from the Lanai suites are excellent, especially during the evening when the sun is setting. The balcony is great to relax on and just chill with your partner.

The room's internet is wired, so if you are looking for a Wi-Fi hot spot I'd suggest the Javana Lounge (essentially the hotel's lobby). During the day you can relax in it's large seating areas, and at night after a long shop through the night markets, you can kick back with a drink, listening to live bands that were there every night of our trip.

The main section of the night markets is located right out the front of the hotel. Coming out of the lobby, it's best to turn left and head up the road, as turning right isn't that exciting, and also smells quite bad. But it's always great being so close to all the markets and food stands, as almost every night I went out and bought something. If you like a bargain, I'd suggest a large suitcase.

Whenever I'm in Penang, one of my top priorities is getting a tan. The pool area is possibly one of the most beautiful places to soak in some sun. As always with Penang, the beach is never too great, with all the watersports and the general look of the ocean, but you wouldn't be too dissapointed if you only stayed by the pool. Without lifting a finger you can order food from Cool Bananas and drinks from the Sunset bar, and all the staff are always so friendly, it's hard not to tip them! The pool section is split into a large pool for adults, and another one for any kids you may have. I'm 19 years old, but I still find time to have at least one go of the water slide they have in the kids section. I can't resist.

Speaking of Cool Bananas, I'm a big soccer (football) fan, and CB's is one of my weekend destinations, since they play the EPL every week, and have a calendar of the matches you can view. The food is also really tasty. Whenever I ordered, my eyes would be too big for my stomach, as the servings are so huge. You deffinately get your moneys worth at the restaurants. Our stay even included buffet breakfast, which always had a large selection of foods. I reccommend the freshly made juices, just pick a fruit and they'll get it done!

I honestly could go on about why I love the hotel. The location, the service, the presentation. It's what you want after working hard all year. As soon as I leave, I always think I didn't stay long enough. I am more then happy to give more opinion on request, as I can't stress how wonderful my stay - and this hotel - really is.

On a side note, after I completed a small survey on the hotel, I was greeted in my inbox with a warm message from the General Manager, thanking me for my feedback. This further underlines how far it seems they will go to make sure your trip is the most enjoyable. I can't recommend Parkroyal Penang enough!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

We just returned from a 7 night stay (1-8 Dec 2010).

Room
We took a coastal view room (partial sea view) and were offered an upgrade upon arrival (because we had expressed concern at being next to the mosque) by the lovely Ella but unfortunately had to decline it as that didn't come with a separate bed for our 5 year old.

We stayed on the 2nd floor right next to the mosque and as it turned out, I couldn't hear a thing. Not once were we woken by the prayer calls, and I supposed it is because of the double glazed windows or something.

The room is very well appointed, and EXTREMELY CLEAN AND WELL MAINTAINED. My daughter and I have severe dust allergies and many hotels we go to are so dusty / dirty that we sneeze during the entire trip, including a brand-name hotel in Georgetown. However, we could breathe VERY WELL in our room and sleep at night extremely well, I think because the room is very clean, dust-free and the chambermaids really do their job!!

Bed is just the right firmmess and I (light sleeper) slept soundly.

The breakfast spread is fantastic and as mentioned in the title of my review, they catered for me and my daughter's food allergies (egg and dairy). Prior to the trip we had emailed them our requirements (ie to prepare a portion of egg-free dairy-free bread for our daily breakfasts), and to our pleasant surprise, when we checked in, the counter staff had already taken note, the chef had already been informed, etc. We were impressed by their efficiency.

The reception staff (Ella) were very helpful, they arranged a meeting with the head chef in charge to discuss our requirements, and the chef even provided us with soy milk in the mornings as well. Our package came with 2 set dinners at Zack's restaurant, which of course had egg & dairy, but the wonderful chef and his team redesigned the dishes and came up with an egg-dairy-free dinner that was really really good too.

Chef even told me that he'd done meals for guests with even worse allergies before - he'd once had some child with anaphylactic food allergies, and the chef and his team went so far as to buy a toaster oven just to toast that child's bread (to avoid cross-contamination),. Can you beat that?

I was really impressed by this and really happy that I could eat "safe" bread throughout the entire stay.

Point is, if you have food allergies, give them advance notice and they'll be able to accommodate you extremely well.

Service-wise, most of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, with just very rare exceptions. I had friendly staff (Amar) at the breakfast table talk to us, find out about our allergies and even provide us with a map on where to explore in Penang.

Kids Club
We had to leave our child at the club sometimes, and the 2 ladies on duty (Norlily and Zubaidah) were so helpful, they chatted with me and even taught me how to get to Georgetown using public buses (available right outside the hotel) which we happily did so. 1 way trip to Georgetown for shopping - RM2.70. Our child loved the club as well, so that's an option if parents are stressed out and need a break from the kids.

Pool
There is a very nice slide which we thoroughly enjoyed The pool doesn't smell heavily chlorinated at all, which is a plus for me. The rest of the pool is very nice (like what the rest of the reviewers say) and there are plenty of lounge chairs for people to sit and sunbathe (though at this time of the year it rains almost daily).

Prices
I would not compare the hotel prices with outside food prices because I think that is the norm everywhere.

Internet
We were very happy with the wi-fi available throughout the lobby and restaurants and made full use of the free internet broadband in the room (we had brought our laptop along).

They DO Listen To Feedback
During the trip, we had a bit of spare time so I took the time to leave some feedback for the hotel. To my surprise, I was approached the very next morning to clarify some of the comments so we knew that they DID take the feedback seriously. Following that, I emailed some more feedback to the hotel (mostly praises to the staff, and a couple of incidents), and the GM (Mr Francois) took the trouble to try and catch us in the morning before we checked out of the hotel to express his thanks for the feedback, say hello etc.

We'll definitely return if we are this part of Penang again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

We had a great week here, the service and breakfast buffet were excellent. We had a Grand Deluxe room with a balcony overlooking the sea - a lovely place to watch the sun go down.
There were always plenty of peaceful places to laze by the pool - most of the children went to the pool with a water slide or to the shallow marked off area for the little ones leaving the other for the adults.
We had a taxi (organised by the travel people in the hotel) to take us around the island - definitely recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!