We had a great holiday at the Parkroyal Penang and would return again. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was good and provided excellent variety, the pool was great (although I do agree with a previous contributor that some umbrellas would be welcome) and the location is excellent. Feedback from people we met was that apart from the Rasa Sayang, where the Rasa wing is the only one recommended (more than twice the price of the Parkroyal), this is the best of the hotels in Batu Ferringhi.
There are a couple of things though that people should know to assist with their stay:
- the lobby, restaurants and bars are not air-conditioned (ceiling fans are everywhere make sure you are seated under one) - initially I thought this was a drawback however in the end this may have helped us acclimatise quicker.
- smoking is allowed in certain areas of the restaurant. Just ask the staff for a table in the non-smoking area.
- the rooms are in need of a bit of a makeover. We had a Grand Deluxe Ocean View room. There is plenty of room, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom is clean, we had free broadband, 2 free bottles of water each day, cookies each afternoon. To be truthful although initially I was a bit disappointed in the room we were very comfortable.
- drinks can seem expensive. Take advantage of the 2 for 1 deals available from 5-7 pm. On Fridays and Saturdays (not sure about Sundays) Happy Hour is until midnight.
- food is cheaper outside the hotel however we had the Malay Set Dinner with Drinks Option (free flowing wine and beer) one night - approx $70 AU for 2, so it is still good value!
The hotel is in a great spot with the night markets right outside. Never pay the first price asked. I always feel around half is a good price although I understand that prices start off higher in the High Season. For great food - the Long Beach Cafe is fabulous and cheap (try the freshly made spring rolls MYR3 each - $1 AUS). Jewel of India was good too.
Catch the shuttle bus into Georgetown. The Perengin Mall has great shopping and is not aimed at tourists so prices are excellent. Try the free hop on bus service however our bus finished at the ferry terminal and we had to wait some time for another bus to come. Best for the more adventurous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the lush greenery in Batu Ferringhi beach or "Foreigner's Rock," PARKROYAL Penang Resort is an idyllic retreat offering delightful hospitality as warm as tropical sun. The resort is situated right on the beach and within walking distance to Night Market, well-connected to island-wide attractions including the Geogetown, the oldest colonial city in Malaysia, temples, Butterfly Farm, Penang Hill and many more. It is also situated 45 minutes from Penang International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia Batu Ferringhi