“Christmas at park royal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
MyKad Great Savings
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Perth, Australia
“Christmas at park royal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

As a family group of 9 combining Christmas and a holiday here, this being the 4th consecutive year. Choosing to have Christmas dinner at the Park Royal was just the best. Chef Wong and his staff are to be highly congratulated for all their efforts for a superb tantalising seafood selection. Presentation was very impressive. Waitpersons very attentive on table service too. The whole atmosphere of the evening will be remembered.
We continue to come back to Park Royal for the friendliness of all who work here & cleaanliness. They do a tremendous job. Our granddaughters call it their second home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Glenys1948,

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU, THANK YOU & THANK YOU!

I am so pleased to read your kind and generous comments about our property and our Team, so glad we made it right and years after years. Our best satisfaction is to not only see our guests coming back over and over again but be considered as Home away from Home. This is the sweetest music to our ears. THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CONFIDENCE IN US.

With the Team I wish you a fantastic New Year 2014, filled with Joy, Success and Great Health.
See you soon back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort.

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

As usual, how I chose my hotel will be after reading all of tripadvisors advises. This time what was important to us was agood hotel food as the children intended just to stay, eat, sleep in the hotel. The review of food here and the spread were pretty favorable...so there we were..

My eldest boy suggested to me to write in and title as "Do not Judge The book by its cover".Why? Because as we drove from Georgetown using our waze we nicely weaved in and out of the local small roads in town which showed us the charm of the old and new buildings in Penang. They readily fell in love and plan to visit again. As we drove along Tg Bungah/Tg Tokong and all we saw again skyscapers and other hotels and eagerly anticipate what Parkroyal looks like. Boy...against the all new Holiday Inn next to it..the newly green painted Parkroyal (as seen from Jalan Batu Ferringhi) was not we expected somehow...Later on I was told by the children that this was the first time that each of one of them thought.."Did mum actually chose this hotel? Why?" when they saw this old hotel from the Feringghi Road.

Anyway, we proceeded and checked in ..it was smoothly done but later I found out that they didn't accommodate my request for the extra bed although it was clearly stated in the booking form as well as requested verbally. Anyway it may be a blessing disguise as we discovered that the beds in the Grand Deluxe room were huge and can accommodate 3 teenagers easily. So we converted the extra bed paymente for free breakfast for the other 2 kids!

We were greatly surprised by our room selections i.e. the Lanai Suite which is connected to a Grand Deluxe Room. The lanai suite has 5 main compartments i.e the bedroom (with a large king size bed plus a day bed), 2 full size bathrooms (one with a shower and the other with a long bath), living room and a lanai which is an oversize balcony. It is very spacious and with good sea view (though from the side). The Grand Deluxe room was normal except that its twin beds are super twin beds joined together and became an oversized king bed. Now I understand why the hotel insisted they are not able to put in the extra bed in this type of room (during my telephone conversations) due to the size of the existing beds.

Food was good. We did two trips to the Cool Banana Restaurant which is beside the pool as they served good ala carte servings. Portions for some food were very generous for instance the burger. Try the stuff crab, it was so delicious. The staff there were really cool and cheerful. The breakfast spread was good and you can choose to be indoor or outdoor if the weather permits.

The only nuisance is the activities which was not provided by the hotel outside the hotel i.e. by the beach. There are many motorised sports activities provided which eventually limit the swimming/playing area by the sea. It is really busy and noisy. So if you are into those types of sports, you will appreciate it but if you have kids just wanting to play by the beach as the seaside, this is not the best place to be.

As mentioned earlier, this is an old hotel but it has retain its charm once you are in the hotel itself. Some of the facilities are due for repairs e.g. our toilet flush in one of the Lanai Suite bathrooms became non functional TWICE but it was promptly looked into. Wifi from the living area was good but somehow not from the bedroom section.

All in all, it was a good break but it was rather expensive.....

Room Tip: Lanai suite is great for families!
Dear ImaMohamed,
Thank you very much for your confidence in us and am so pleased that you were happy with your choice of hotel. With the Team, at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, we are delighted to know you had an enjoyable stay and the food quality for which we are renown for were up to your satisfaction.
I will review the toilet flush issue in your toilets to avoid similar discomfort in future, my sincere apologies!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed at Parkroyal with my family for 5 days and had a fantastic holiday! Rooms were cleaned every morning before we even got back from breakfast by Siva.He did a very good job. At the pool side, Salmi was always there to greet us with a smile. When taking our orders, her passion for her job was clear as she shared the daily specials, checked in continuously that we were satisfied and kept us happy with her bubbly personality. One of the best waitresses we've had the pleasure to meet! We were also impressed at how Richard was always around, talking to guests and ensuring the hotel was running well. Overall a very relaxing holiday in a beautiful hotel filled with amazing staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony facing the sea are beautiful.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dhillon2013,

We are so happy to read you had a real relaxing and memorable time with us.
I will surely pass your very kind comments to Siva and Salmi, this is for them and including me a real moral boosting to be acknowledged even so it is part and parcel of the job!
Thank you so so much and look forward to welcome you back soon at PARKROYAL Penang Resort

I wish you a wonderful New Year 2014

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at Roomies Hostel directly opposite the Parkroyal (see review) and came here as a day pass guest for 2 days. Great value, really enjoyed it. Would visit again. It's a good option if you're on a budget but want to enjoy something really nice.

It's about 45MYR per day, which includes a 23MYR food/drink credit. Plus refundable 20MYR to use a big soft towel.

Lots of comfortable sun loungers to choose from on the grass between the pool and the beach. It's about 50m to the water. The pool is also nice for a swim.

I used my food credit to gorge on big milkshakes - two came to 35MYR so all I had to top up was 12MYR.

To save money, I ate at the Sunset Beach Cafe about 2mins from the hotel on the beach. Penang Laska 4.50MYR.

Toilets were super clean throughout both days. There are big shower rooms available with hot water and toiletries.

Security does check for wrist passes/ room numbers.

Staff are great - attentive without bring overbearing.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear NeelaMitzi,

Thank you for your kind comments and it is really nice to know you enjoyed our facilities as a day pass user.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I chose the Parkroyal for my recent stay in Penang to attend a wedding at a hotel just a little further down Batu Ferringhi.
The location of the Parkroyal was just fabulous. There were lots of great streetside and beach side restaurants and eateries within very close walking distance (something that is quite important for me travelling on my own). The hotel staff were all helpful and attentive - particularly when arranging transport for me on a daily basis.

I would suggest that this is a hotel more suited to families than single/solo travellers, young groups of friends or couples.

The resort and the rooms were all as you would expect of this kind of hotel. All very clean, comfortable, good amenities, on the higher end of the standard range.

The gym in the hotel is fantastically well equipped. One of the best hotel gyms I've seen!

I did have some difficulties with the spa in that it took three different trips down there to finally speak with someone to make a booking. They were always away from the desk.

I'd have no trouble recommending the Parkroyal to anyone looking for a good place to stay on Batu Ferringhi without breaking the budget.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear missbellejane ,
It is so rewarding to know we made your stay enjoyable and memorable at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and would like to thank you so much for your support, confidence and recommendation in us.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is definitely a family friendly hotel. We stayed for 4 night with 2 kids (23 month old and 5 yr old) and they were entertained throughout.

Service: Check and check out in were breeze. The housekeeping, inroom dining and reception answered their calls prompty and they were very friendly. Really like the manners of the staffs here. They are genuine Penang people, friendly, honest and really love the northern slang.

Food: Food is always plentiful. Breakfast was good with daily penang char kuey teow on the menu. There is plenty of shops, restaurants and night market stalls and they are just across the road. We could see hot banana fritter being prepared when we arrived..yummy.. but we were very lazy to even walk across the road. So, we settled with in-room dining and eating at the restaurants. Serving is huge and the first time we ordered ( 1 adult meal and 1 kids meal) left us to struggle to finish the food. So, the next few rounds, we ordered 2 kids menu instead..haha and even then we were still struggling to finish ( I guess we are small eater anyway to begin with). The price is rather wxpwnsive but hey, its a holiday and we were lay anyway. Taste was good and has no complaint or what so ever.

Pool/beach: Pool is great. Few selections of pool areas to disperse the crowd. Like how the morning sun can be enjoyed at the toddler's pool. Beach is great too with long stretch of sand to enjoy and the water sports activities available ( although is is run by individual company and not by the hotel management).

Play area (indoors): Good, clean and spacious area. Many of choices of play equiptments for different ages. Love this!! ALways a hit with my kids

Cleanliness: Clean and tidy and plenty of menicured and matured plants.. lovee this!

Room: We reqquested a twin superior room and have to say its not bad. There is one daybed too. Bathroom and tub were clean and functioning

Downsides: At times, the hot water shower can turn cold. This does not happen often but will obviously be remembered. New bath towels often runs out. So, after room service, prepare to return to the room without bath towel. They don't seems to provide it automatically unless we call the house keeping. However, once called, we'll get the towels within minutes.

Verdict: Despite the little downside, we had a great experience here. Relaxing !! Will we come again? Yes, definitely. The experience is worth the price

Dear khasnur,

Thank you very much for all your real nice and positive comments on our property and services, greatly appreciated!
I would like however to apologise for the hot water as we had faced some difficulties with our system, real sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to welcome you back in PARKROYAL Penang Resort soon.
Have a Wonderful Christmas and a Fantastic New Year 2014.

Birmingham UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel when it just opened. Then, it was fantastic and good value for money. We attended a wedding in Penang. We decided to book Parkroyal. The hotel is definately looking tired and in need of a refurb. With the likes of the Hard Rock nipping at its heels, they better decide in a hurry that they need to invest to maintain the level of guests they used to enjoy.

A common practice in all hotels i have stayed at is to take an authorisation imprint of your credit card. When you check out, the same imprint is used to charge for the extras. Well not here! I wasn't told but they charged 900 Ringitt to my card! Worse still, when we checked out I was told that the unused balance would be credited to my card. The problem was that with the credit card charges and the exchange rate used i was short changed. So be aware of this thoroughly unacceptable practice.

The staff were great. They certainly made up for the failing hotel. If their staff weren't so contenious, I would have gone a few doors down to the Hard Rock.

I would return but only when the hotel has a facelift.

The beaches arent great, nor the waters clear and here are limited things to see and do in Penang.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear joeBirminghamUK,
Thank you very much for your confidence in us and sincerely appreciate your continuous patronage and trust in us.
Concerning your credit card, I am real sorry for any miscommunication which could have taken place. We, generally, only take a guarantee of charge but we do not charge the card upon check in but it could happen your card SMS bank system inform you a charge has been done when in fact it is only a guarantee, procedures practice done internationally. However if you wish now there is possibility to charge in your currency of your country or the local currency to minimise currency exchange disparity.

Thank you once again for your kind comments about service and associates, greatly appreciated!

Have a Wonderful Christmas and a Fantastic New Year 2014.

Francois

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!