“So much potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“So much potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We booked this hotel after our stay in the sri sayang up the road to split things up. I am sure glad we did this as the location of the parkroyal is A1. there is a convenience store and money change across the road, and the night markets are directly outside a couple of mins walk and your in the heart of it all!

The hotel is ok, what I found odd was the general level of enthusiasm (or lack thereof) of the check in staff, they seemed to be very sluggish and kind of dawdled along even asking us "have you been served a welcome drink yet?" I mean you should know we just walked in you guys sat us here without one until 10mins later when you realised! I guess I am comparing this resort to others I have stayed at where they practically run to get your luggage and swiflty check you into your room.

The hotel is a little run down, the air con is so noisy at night that you cant sleep with it on. I didnt bother complaining we just switched it off. Room service - forget about it very costly and the hawker stalls are just 2 mins away. Otherwise the room is ok with the usual amenities you would find in a resort, welcome fruits were nice.

The other thing I found odd is you had to sign in each kid in the kids club even if you were staying with them, kind of a hassle, perhaps a disclaimer on the door would be more sufficient. Again the ladies at the kids club were not interested at all in trying to provide some service or entertainment for the kids. Just more concerned with the kids not having socks so not allowing them to go into the ball pit.

Plus points of the hotel, it is right on the beach, has a pretty good pool which the kids loved with the slides, the buffet breakfast was spectacular (and the staff here were very switched on and helpful) and as I said the location!

I'd try Golden Sands next time if the price is not too much of a difference, otherwise i'd stay again but not for more than a couple of nights. Just had too many areas for improvement, for a resort in such a prime location

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear SydneyKhan,
Thank you so much for your kind feedback, greatly appreciated!
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and regret we did not had an opportunity to review those issues together to assure that you had a more pleasant stay with us.
In regards of the Children club it is important to assure a certain security as we are dealing with children and we want to make sure that Parents feel safe when they leave their precious one with us that they are in good and safe hand. The sock is only a question of hygiene, sorry for any inconvenience caused.
I am so pleased you found our Breakfast to be spectacular so happy we made it right for you! And we are very pleased to know the Associates were very good during all your interactions with them and will share your comments to all of them, a great motivation !
Have a wonderful, wonderful time ahead and wish you all the very best for the New Year.
Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to recoup and relax from frantic KL. The hotel did the job and the resort was touristy.

The room was fine, with a bath shower (a pet hate for "posh hotels") but tatty around the edges, which to be honest sums up the hotel. There were also 100s of cigarette butts on our balcony and it did rain snotty tissues one night, both of which seemed to have been flicked down from the room above, so can't be blamed on the hotel.

We wanted the sea views, which were spectacular. But couldn't swim in said sea because of the jelly fish and high risk of dysentery (notice no locals will swim!) But the pool was nice.

Food in the hotel was over priced and bordering on horrible, although the portions were huge. We ended up sharing mains. You can eat in the hawker markets nearby which are OK and around 5-10RM

The staff were polite but I found them insincere in comparisons to other places we stayed in Malaysia (with the exception of the maid)

Overall. It was OK and did the job for us, but don't book if you want to be wowed and make sure you visit other places to get a real Malaysian experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bdc84 ,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback, much appreciated. Sincere apologies for the cigarettes buds which should have been clear as well as our associates attitude perception, no excuse!
In regards of the jelly fish it is not frequent we have some, generally after a big thunderstorm but we always place a sign for prevention. It is very regrettably a common sight everywhere now in the world!
In regards of the food cost, again it is very difficult to compete with Hawker stall which do not have all the regulations and expenses that a Hotel has.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Families and kids are made to feel very welcome here - from the water slides to the menus to the kids club, even a kid-height table at the breakfast buffet.
Rooms are well done, comfortable bed, lots of bathroom amenities. Beautiful views to the sea. Beach is nice for walking or for a dip in the sea, but the pool is where most people hang out. Great shaded areas for sitting, plus sun beds.
I'm told the spa is very good, although I didn't try it myself.
Extensive and delicious breakfast buffet.
Lots of restaurant choice near by, including very good hawker stalls.
An excellent pick if you want to stay in Batu Ferringhi.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear A-Nomadic-Canadian,

It is so nice to have succeeded to make you and your children happy while staying with us.
Great to know you really enjoy our food quality and famous breakfast.
We always try our best to make every guest to have memorable time at PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Thank you so much for your real kind feedbacks, greatly appreciated!
Have a fantastic time ahead and wish you and family all the very best for the New Year.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is our 4th stay at Park royal (we got married there on our 2nd visit, which we also highly recommend) and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Penang, we have loved it every time!
It is reasonably priced, good buffet breakfast with plenty to choose from and freshly cooked eggs/omelettes, great location with night markets right out front and plenty of restaurants close by, clean rooms and friendly staff.

We even received special discounts for being returning customers, so this is worth mentioning to the hotel when booking if it applies to you.
We have also stayed in different room types, all great, but worth getting a balcony sea view room if you can afford it.

On this trip we took our 9 month old daughter and could not thank the staff enough for being so accommodating and kind to her, she received a lot of hellos and smiles every day from whoever we went past, especially at breakfast, which she loved!

Special thanks to Halikuz and the lovely reception team, and Rosli for going out of their way to make our stay extra special! (Our daughter really loved her balloons!)

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely be back again soon.

Room Tip: Worth getting sea view balcony room if you can afford it. Great view of the ocean sea sports and hot...
Dear Chrissypearse,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your kind comments, recommendation and highlight of our star Associates like Halikuz, Rosli and many others who will be recognise accordingly.
Thank you so much for your support and great recommendation, which mean a lot to all of us here at the Resort.
We all look forward to welcome you back soon to PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have an outstanding and awesome time ahead and wish you all the very best for the New Year.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I checked in 23 Nov n checked out 25 Nov.
As I have a 8 yr old girl, I called to reconfirm my request for non smoking room. The lady manning the hotline wasnt pleasing and kept emphasising, subject to availability. When I arrived, the front desk told me all rooms are non smoking! This gap had blemished my impression and that their hotline doesn't know their hotel.
Breakfast was poor. We queued at breakfast restaurant but due to crowd, we were directed to upstairs. I felt upstairs wasn't good and ventilation was poor. On 2nd day, I gave up and went outside for breakfast instead.
Room was good, clean and spacious. Enjoyed !
Pool was excellent. The children/toddler pool was a comfortable distance from adult pool. I was able to relax at poolside knowing, my daughter was safe in her own water play area. Pool size was good and it had 2 kinds of slides. My daughter enjoyed thoroughly.
Beach was very nearby. Beach was generally clean and safe for my daughter to play with sand.
Kokonut club (kids club) was available and looked equipped and safe. There were also planned programs for kids. But my daughter preferred the outdoor action.
Overall, I still find this hotel a wonderful choice to stay with kids!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear HildaLim72,
I sincere apologies for our hotline service which I will personally review for improvement as well as our breakfast. It may at time when the hotel run a full occupancy that a a certain time mid morning when everyone come down for breakfast that it could be a little more difficult due to the large crowd, we do our best to work on it to minimise such inconveniences during peak season. Thank you for the highlight.
Allow me to reconfirm, all our rooms are non smoking and we provide a special area on each floor for those who like their cigarette 
I am however pleased to know you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and that your children had a great time with us with all the children facilities available here at PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have been coming to PARKROYAL Resort Penang with my family almost 3-4 times a year. I must say, they are the best suitable resort for family + couples + meeting incentives.

My two boys had an amazing time spending most of their time at the resort's swimming and kids club. I can even entrust the resort to look after them at the kids club while I can have some privacy with my wife going for our food hunt in Penang.

They have got many room categories, but since I am only staying for two nights I've chosen to stay at their Deluxe Seaview room which come with a nice balcony overlooking the sea (3rd floor). Try to avoid the Hillview room, because you will get the noise from the street and mosque.

PARKROYAL is a beach front resort, however, in general the beach belongs to the public. Hence, beware of jet-ski and boat if you are planning to swim at the sea. But don't worry, they have a safe area cordial off for you to swim. Because the island is kind of populated and also along the Straits of Malacca, the sea water is not really the clear type but clean sandy beach.

Breakfast was interesting, but could always be better. It tend to get pretty messy when they are running busy waiting for their guest services to escort you to an empty table, so, get up early to avoid the heavy traffic between 9am to 10am. If you book without breakfast, you probably can walk to the nearest mamak (local bistro) right side from the entrance about 2 minutes walk.

In terms of location, it is situated along the busy stretch of Batu Ferringhi, next to Holiday Inn Resort. Across the road there is a sundry shop where you can get some potato chips, beer and ...etc.

Room Tip: Pick the Deluxe Seaview
Dear mozart_y2k ,
Thank you so much for your kind word and comments about our property and services at PARKROYAL Resort Penang.
I am so pleased your children had a good time with all our facilities and agree sometime it is difficult for them to return to their room as they enjoy so much the various activities organised for them.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Our last day at the PPR how times fly when you are having such a wonderful holiday, this is not our first time in fact we been holidaying since the mid 90s and it just gets better.
From management to house keeping you are greeted with a warm genuine smile and make you feel like you belong, l would like to thank a staff member for outstanding work but my list is too large so I would like to thank all the staff you make this building into something very special. Thanks to house keeping for their fastidious cleanliness the rooms are great.a personal thanks to the pool attendant and security who gave first aid to my wife after a fall at the pool because of you she recovered quickly to enjoy the rest of her holiday. I cannot go without thanking two realy nice guys chef Teng and chef Bob thank you for sharing you wonderful sense of humor and of cause preparing brilliant meals.My wife and I will return thanks again to everyone.
Regards Jon

Room Tip: Come with an open mind and let the wonderful people pamper you
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jon S,
I am so grateful and proud to read happy comments and allow me to tell you it is our great pleasure to be of service to you and all our guests with our very best satisfaction to see you leaving us very happy with only one thought to come back; it is a sign for us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort we are doing it right. It is sincerely real nice to receive such comments as said previously we do understand it is the service expected but it is always great to read when we did a good job, a great motivation for all of us 
We all look forward to welcome you back soon to Penang
Francois

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!