“We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Penang” 5 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
MyKad Great Savings
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Perth, Australia
“We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Penang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is our 4th stay at Park royal (we got married there on our 2nd visit, which we also highly recommend) and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Penang, we have loved it every time!
It is reasonably priced, good buffet breakfast with plenty to choose from and freshly cooked eggs/omelettes, great location with night markets right out front and plenty of restaurants close by, clean rooms and friendly staff.

We even received special discounts for being returning customers, so this is worth mentioning to the hotel when booking if it applies to you.
We have also stayed in different room types, all great, but worth getting a balcony sea view room if you can afford it.

On this trip we took our 9 month old daughter and could not thank the staff enough for being so accommodating and kind to her, she received a lot of hellos and smiles every day from whoever we went past, especially at breakfast, which she loved!

Special thanks to Halikuz and the lovely reception team, and Rosli for going out of their way to make our stay extra special! (Our daughter really loved her balloons!)

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely be back again soon.

Room Tip: Worth getting sea view balcony room if you can afford it. Great view of the ocean sea sports and hot...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Chrissypearse,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your kind comments, recommendation and highlight of our star Associates like Halikuz, Rosli and many others who will be recognise accordingly.
Thank you so much for your support and great recommendation, which mean a lot to all of us here at the Resort.
We all look forward to welcome you back soon to PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have an outstanding and awesome time ahead and wish you all the very best for the New Year.
Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I checked in 23 Nov n checked out 25 Nov.
As I have a 8 yr old girl, I called to reconfirm my request for non smoking room. The lady manning the hotline wasnt pleasing and kept emphasising, subject to availability. When I arrived, the front desk told me all rooms are non smoking! This gap had blemished my impression and that their hotline doesn't know their hotel.
Breakfast was poor. We queued at breakfast restaurant but due to crowd, we were directed to upstairs. I felt upstairs wasn't good and ventilation was poor. On 2nd day, I gave up and went outside for breakfast instead.
Room was good, clean and spacious. Enjoyed !
Pool was excellent. The children/toddler pool was a comfortable distance from adult pool. I was able to relax at poolside knowing, my daughter was safe in her own water play area. Pool size was good and it had 2 kinds of slides. My daughter enjoyed thoroughly.
Beach was very nearby. Beach was generally clean and safe for my daughter to play with sand.
Kokonut club (kids club) was available and looked equipped and safe. There were also planned programs for kids. But my daughter preferred the outdoor action.
Overall, I still find this hotel a wonderful choice to stay with kids!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear HildaLim72,
I sincere apologies for our hotline service which I will personally review for improvement as well as our breakfast. It may at time when the hotel run a full occupancy that a a certain time mid morning when everyone come down for breakfast that it could be a little more difficult due to the large crowd, we do our best to work on it to minimise such inconveniences during peak season. Thank you for the highlight.
Allow me to reconfirm, all our rooms are non smoking and we provide a special area on each floor for those who like their cigarette 
I am however pleased to know you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and that your children had a great time with us with all the children facilities available here at PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Have a wonderful, wonderful time ahead and wish you all the very best for the New Year.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have been coming to PARKROYAL Resort Penang with my family almost 3-4 times a year. I must say, they are the best suitable resort for family + couples + meeting incentives.

My two boys had an amazing time spending most of their time at the resort's swimming and kids club. I can even entrust the resort to look after them at the kids club while I can have some privacy with my wife going for our food hunt in Penang.

They have got many room categories, but since I am only staying for two nights I've chosen to stay at their Deluxe Seaview room which come with a nice balcony overlooking the sea (3rd floor). Try to avoid the Hillview room, because you will get the noise from the street and mosque.

PARKROYAL is a beach front resort, however, in general the beach belongs to the public. Hence, beware of jet-ski and boat if you are planning to swim at the sea. But don't worry, they have a safe area cordial off for you to swim. Because the island is kind of populated and also along the Straits of Malacca, the sea water is not really the clear type but clean sandy beach.

Breakfast was interesting, but could always be better. It tend to get pretty messy when they are running busy waiting for their guest services to escort you to an empty table, so, get up early to avoid the heavy traffic between 9am to 10am. If you book without breakfast, you probably can walk to the nearest mamak (local bistro) right side from the entrance about 2 minutes walk.

In terms of location, it is situated along the busy stretch of Batu Ferringhi, next to Holiday Inn Resort. Across the road there is a sundry shop where you can get some potato chips, beer and ...etc.

Room Tip: Pick the Deluxe Seaview
Dear mozart_y2k ,
Thank you so much for your kind word and comments about our property and services at PARKROYAL Resort Penang.
I am so pleased your children had a good time with all our facilities and agree sometime it is difficult for them to return to their room as they enjoy so much the various activities organised for them.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Our last day at the PPR how times fly when you are having such a wonderful holiday, this is not our first time in fact we been holidaying since the mid 90s and it just gets better.
From management to house keeping you are greeted with a warm genuine smile and make you feel like you belong, l would like to thank a staff member for outstanding work but my list is too large so I would like to thank all the staff you make this building into something very special. Thanks to house keeping for their fastidious cleanliness the rooms are great.a personal thanks to the pool attendant and security who gave first aid to my wife after a fall at the pool because of you she recovered quickly to enjoy the rest of her holiday. I cannot go without thanking two realy nice guys chef Teng and chef Bob thank you for sharing you wonderful sense of humor and of cause preparing brilliant meals.My wife and I will return thanks again to everyone.
Regards Jon

Room Tip: Come with an open mind and let the wonderful people pamper you
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jon S,
I am so grateful and proud to read happy comments and allow me to tell you it is our great pleasure to be of service to you and all our guests with our very best satisfaction to see you leaving us very happy with only one thought to come back; it is a sign for us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort we are doing it right. It is sincerely real nice to receive such comments as said previously we do understand it is the service expected but it is always great to read when we did a good job, a great motivation for all of us 
We all look forward to welcome you back soon to Penang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

It was a sudden booking made online because my husband was participating in the Penang Bridge Marathon. And we do not regret picking this hotel.

When we arrived, they were quick to help with the luggages. And was greeted by one of the staff ( Harfiz ? can't remember clearly the name tag ) , he welcomed my family ( there were 7 of us including kids ) to sit at the lounge while waiting for the process of my check in. Which were very fast and less hassles.

We were given welcome drink, cute glasses of kiwi fruit drinks.

Our room were already ready when we arrived ( another plus point ). Luggages were quick to be sent up to our room too. ( we stayed from 16 Nov- 18 Nov 2013 )

The room were large with very large bed as all the past reviews been saying. It was comfortable sleeping for the two nights. We got our connecting room which was very convenient for my family.

The shower and bath tub water was strong, don't have to wait too long for the tub to be filled.

The pools were big enough, separates deeper pool for adults and kids. With two different slides to play with.
You will need a pool card to get the towel from the pool area. We wasn't given the towel cards when we checks in, ending up i have to go back to the front counter to get them.

Family with kids would love the child friendly hotel. There were lifeguard on duty keeping an eye on the kids ( which were normally missing in most hotels that i visited )

Breakfast were somewhat just okay. Asian and western food choice. The coffee machine is somewhat a let down. I would have prefer the good old way of being served coffee and tea on the table, or ready coffee and tea to be pour straightaway from ready pots. Judging the size of the breakfast crowds, the coffee machine will surely needs maintenance sooner.

The staff were quick and efficient, which somehow makes up for the lacking foods department.
They have cute kids corner for the breakfast. This is really a cute and wonderful idea, as they helps make the morning more interesting for my son.

The beach along the hotel is a wonderful getaway. Because its the first time i find the beach stretch is long enough that all the buzzing sea sport activities are further on both ends. So, the kids have some stretch to play sands and sea without getting worry over ropes from parasailing parachute or boats coming in and out... Its a much quieter stretch of beach compares to other hotels within vicinity.

The location is good too, begins at the end of the feringghi night market. With many restaurants and food courts nearby.

Because the kids spend so much time at the pool and beach, we didn't even have time to check out the kids club. LOL !

checking out was a breeze too. I love this part of the hotel, which makes checking in and checking out a fast thing. Kudos to the management and staff for making it comfortable and quick.

The only thing to improve is, the housekeeping need to be more generous with the bath gels. As the given bottles seems inadequate for my family. The housekeeping should be more alert on the number of occupants in the room, and gives more bath gels. When i first reached the room, i saw a housekeeping staff cleaning the next room. I thought to ask on the spot for the extra towels, but the staff told me that they had given extra as per my 'added extra beds '.
Which means, 3 towels if i add one extra bed for a room. They forgot we have kids, under 11, that is sharing our beds. Does this means, our kids share our towels too ?

thinking that its such a hassle to request extra towel, i just make do with the towel robes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear chilicandy,
I was so pleased to read your message and thank you for choosing PARKROYAL Penang Resort. I really pleased that everything went well and you had a pleasant and memorable hotel experiences.
I will surely review the coffee issue at Breakfast, we have place 5 to 6 machine to enable to provide fresher coffee to all our guests from espresso to coffee late hoping it will upgrade from the regular filter coffee. Concerning the housekeeping issue with proper room supply, I will ensure that upon check in guests reconfirm the number of person in the room to assure that all necessary amenities are provided and housekeeping Associates are well informed. My sincere apologise for any inconveniences caused.

With my Team we look forward to welcome you back and wish you in meantime a fantastic weekend ahead.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Park Royal in early October for 8 nights, all of which we really enjoyed. The Park Royal is located on Batu Ferringhi approx 1hr taxi ride from the airport. It is one a number large luxury resorts located along this beach strip. There were 3 of us travelling in the family all adults, therefore had earlier booked a family room so that we could all be together and also save some $'s rather than book another room. The family room (see photo) was sea facing and we had beautiful views across the ocean. The room comes configured with a king size bed and 2 singles and is quite spacious. The bathroom was nice and clean however a little dated in appearance, however this did not bother us. We had a few minor issues with the room during our stay, loss of WIFI after a storm and leaky aircon - however these were quickly resolved after a quick visit to reception.

Breakfast was served in the Tamarind Brasserie. There was a fantastic selection of everything, from Western to Asian with lovely omelettes, fresh fruit and pastries, the only real gripe was trying to get a good morning coffee, as previously mentioned by a number of TA reviews there was always chaos around the 2 coffee machines, on occasion they were not even working that well. We also tried the mini grill at the Tamarind on the Tuesday night as we were happy to eat at the Hotel. This we dis twice during our 8 day stay. The 1st time it was lovely, soup, choice of meat to be grilled, with a selection of vegetables and deserts. The 2nd time however there were fewer vegetables and deserts. A little disappointing.

During our stay we enjoyed the pool area, nice and relaxing and tried the the lunch menu from Col Bananas - burgers etc. The food was good and the serving size was large. In the late afternoons (every day) we enjoyed the cocktail happy hours at the Javana Lounge, a selection of discounted cocktails are offered from 4:30pm for a few hrs. You need to ask for the special menu as this is not present on the tables in the lounge nor heavily promoted. Although we stuck to a few of our favorite cocktails during our stay, the taste varied quite considerable from good to OK depending who fixed it.

Overall had a great time, we loved the fact most areas over looked the gardens and we certainly will again be heading back to the Park Royal again - much more peaceful that places like Bali.

Room Tip: To save some money on your room you can advance book and pre-pay your accommodation.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear ozknight99,
Thank you so much for your kind and positive feedback, really appreciated.
I am pleased to know you found our room were comfortable and clean and you also appreciated our food quality and its value.
I have review your comments with my Executive Chef for immediate improvement as well as with my Food & Beverage Team to assure that the Coffee station at breakfast is working smoothly; as previously mentioned it is a new trial to provide high quality coffee instead of filter coffee and offer a choice really offered during breakfast of espresso to coffee late with no additional charge. We constantly try to upgrade our facilities and offer to assure guests comfort and satisfaction however in this case we will review how to minimise the queue and improve further. Thank you so much and please accept my sincere apologies.
We all look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort and wish you a wonderful weekend ahead.
Very sincerely
KL, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Upon arrival, there was no smile, no welcome, no greetings from doorman to reception to concierge. Was informed by reception that we had sea facing room. But we only see the side wall of the room beside us and the trees outside our window. Real disappointing. One of our face towels was soiled but nicely hang over the rack!!!! The housekeeper and her assistant knock on our door before 9am and ask to check the room curtain!!!! Ridiculous as we were still asleep. She explained that she thought we had checked out and our room was vacant. Our sink was choked and I call for housekeeping but they never turn up. Breakfast was expensive, there was quantity but absolutely no quality. Food was cold, insects hovering over the cut fruits and salad. Wanton noodle soggy, porridge was cold. Will not return to this hotel again

Room Tip: You need to view the room and not based on the reception's info!! Sea facing was not sea facing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Kokomizue ,
I am deeply very sorry that your stay with us was not as pleasant as we all have plan to provide you and all our guests. I sincerely regret very much we did not had the opportunity to meet up and enable me to assist you and have more positive feeling about our property and services.
Once again please accept my deepest apologies and hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and prove to you this was not the usual standard of the Resort.
Have a beautiful day

Francois

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!