“Over Rated Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
MyKad Great Savings
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
KL, Malaysia
“Over Rated Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Upon arrival, there was no smile, no welcome, no greetings from doorman to reception to concierge. Was informed by reception that we had sea facing room. But we only see the side wall of the room beside us and the trees outside our window. Real disappointing. One of our face towels was soiled but nicely hang over the rack!!!! The housekeeper and her assistant knock on our door before 9am and ask to check the room curtain!!!! Ridiculous as we were still asleep. She explained that she thought we had checked out and our room was vacant. Our sink was choked and I call for housekeeping but they never turn up. Breakfast was expensive, there was quantity but absolutely no quality. Food was cold, insects hovering over the cut fruits and salad. Wanton noodle soggy, porridge was cold. Will not return to this hotel again

Room Tip: You need to view the room and not based on the reception's info!! Sea facing was not sea facing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Kokomizue ,
I am deeply very sorry that your stay with us was not as pleasant as we all have plan to provide you and all our guests. I sincerely regret very much we did not had the opportunity to meet up and enable me to assist you and have more positive feeling about our property and services.
Once again please accept my deepest apologies and hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and prove to you this was not the usual standard of the Resort.
Have a beautiful day

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Park Royal many times (most recent Oct 28 to November 10). This time we were accompanied by our son and daughter in law and 3 grand daughters which was their first family holiday overseas. Like us, they fell in love with the place and will undoubtedly return. From the first moment we got there the service and welcoming nature of the staff was much appreciated. Its great to go back after a year with the staff recognising and welcoming you as you alight from the taxi.Check in was seamless as we sat in comfortable chairs sipping on a refreshing cold drink. Our rooms were very good and exactly what we had requested at booking time in Australia. We have read the occasional negative review on this hotel and I am sure that sometimes things do not go to plan, but mostly the staff are very helpful and overcome any difficulties. Lazy days around the pool became the norm and propping up the bar on the sea front a nice end to the day - whilst we were there the pool hut and the front bar roofs were being replaced with new thatch for positive effect. The outside of the hotel was also being painted and given a face lift - the orange is being replaced with a light green and it looks great. The service we received for our entire stay was very very good and a credit to the people themselves and the hotel. It is very remiss of us not to record all of the staff names, as from the bell hop to the pool attendants in the towel hut the people were fantastic and made our holiday all the better - We got outstanding service from cool bananas and remember Salmi who was always around the place and giving friendly service - we have stayed in a lot of hotels and the standard of cleanliness in our room was exceptional - again, hope we got the names right but I think our cleaners name was Rohanna and we could not fault the standard of our room cleaning (well done!!!!) Our 3 grand daughters loved the place and had a great time in the pool and slides. Breakfast daily in the tamarind brasserie is also very good. The Park Royal is strategically located and close to restaurants and night markets, shops etc. etc. You dont want for anything here - there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and its only 2.7 ringhitts to Georgetown, though the trip can vary from 45 minutes each way to about 1.5 hours on return if the peak hour is heavy. Would we recommend this hotel to couples and families - yes!. Will we return sometime (hopefully next year) - Yes!!
Thank you for a wonderfully relaxing and enjoying stay in your family friendly (and generally friendly) hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tony K ,

How nice it is to read your comments and I right away shared them with my Team, really a big bowl of oxygen for all of us, we are all so pleased we created memorable hotel experiences during your stay; thank you so much for sharing with all of us even so it is expected from all of us to provide great service and facilities it is sincerely real nice when we are told we did it right T H A N K Y O U V E R Y M U C H !
We all look forward to welcome you back at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and wish you in meantime a fantastic time ahead.

Kota Bharu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay with Parkroyal Penang Resort. It has been a whirlwind few weeks and I'm still in it. But I'm taking some time just to write a review for this beautiful hotel. This is definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed at. I definitely would recommend it to everyone.
I was here for a conference and got a special rate for their coastal view room. The view of the coast was not that good but I was satisfied.The check in was quite fast and the staffs were all smiles.
The room was gorgeous and spacious.The bed was huge and there was a sofa bed fit for another person to sleep on. There was definitely no shortage of pillows and they came in sorts of sizes :-) The bathroom was big with lots of amenities. Unlike some other international hotels, Parkroyal Penang considers local practice where there was a spray hose near the toilet. No bathtub though. There was a bathrobe and slippers in the wardrobe. The TV was big with variety of channels. Iron and board were also provided in room.
The staffs were all amazing and service was impeccable. During our stay, the hotel invited all guests to their Deepavali Open House and there was lots of delicious Indian dishes being served freshly made. There were also cultural performances and all of us including the foreigners had great fun. Being Malaysian, I was so proud to see such service from a local establishment.
The breakfast and dining experience were delightful. There was plenty of delicious food and the staffs couldn't be more eager to serve you. As I was here for a conference I can also vouch for their service in terms of event arrangements. It was all prompt.
The hotel is situated at Batu Ferringhi beach. It's far from Georgetown but you can spend perfect time there alone with lots of beach activities or simply watching stunning sunsets in the evening. At night, the street in front come to life with kiosks selling all sorts of trinkets. There are many restaurants from Western to Arabic food along the road.
I can go on and on. But overall I'm in love with this hotel. I have to keep myself from using exclamation marks to show my delight about this hotel. Do keep it up Parkroyal Penang. I hope to be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear AiNGEL83 ,

How to express our thanks and appreciation to you for your very kind and generous comments; it really touch all of us deeply and we are all very proud to have been of service to you and made it right for you as at time we sincerely feel when reading some comments we are a total different place.
We are so glad you enjoyed our famous Breakfast, food quality and really appreciated our Associates good services.
We absolutely delighted and look forward to welcome you back soon at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, in meantime we wish you an outstanding time ahead.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed between 9 to 11 November with this wonderful hotel. We reached the hotel earlier than the check in timing and was attended to by Khalid (Hope I got his name right). He was all smiles and made us feel welcomed. Even though our room was not ready, he managed to make some arrangements and we were able to check into our room early. This willingness to be flexible and accommodating to guest shows the type of professional standards the hotel instills into their staff.

Our room was very comfortable, well furnished and we had deck chairs out in the lawn. It definitely made our stay very pleasant. The hotel is also located just along the night market and food stalls are nearby so it is pretty convenient. The numerous deck chairs was definitely a plus point since we did not need to worry about not having anywhere to lounge by the pool / sea. If you get bored of staying in Batu Ferringhi, the bus stop is just outside the hotel and we easily hopped onto the bus to Georgetown to experience the wonderful street art & food.

Our one and only setback during our stay was the seemingly paper thin walls. Our next door neighbours were blasting loud music and sang Karaoke late into the night. We initially thought there was a nightclub next door! We were awaken early every morning by their loud talking and children screaming, etc. I felt as if their TV was just at my head where I was sleeping so I could hear exactly what they were singing, watching, etc. I know sound proofing may be a huge investment but it would enhance our stay tremendously.

Apart from this, I am still giving your hotel an excellent rating for your people and overall experience. I hope to come back again in the future hopefully better luck with considerate neighbours.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe coastal room which was really lovely. Just pray you don't get noisy neig...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MaryCCH ,
First of all sincere apologies for the discomfort caused by your neighbour, sadly you did not inform us immediately we will have ensure to contact the guest to reduce the sound and assure you a better comfort. Once again sincere apologies.
I am very pleased however you had a great memorable stay with us at PARKROYAL Penang Resort and your kind appreciation for our Associates and their services have been gladly already shared with them, a great positive motivation for all of us to know that what we did is appreciated.
Thank you so, so much and have a really awesome time ahead.

Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

With an absolute seafront location in the middle of the action at Batu Ferringhi, beautiful tropical gardens and comfortable rooms this is a good hotel for a stay in Penang. Although it is about 35 mins by taxi or an hour by bus to Georgetown this is not a disadvantage due to it's beautiful location. The bed was the biggest I have seen in any hotel and very comfortable. Lots of good restaurants within easy walking distance

• Stayed November 2013
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Skyfox49 ,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and we are so pleased that you found your stay at PARKROYAL Penang Resort to be very comfortable and pleasant.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.
Have a wonderful time ahead.
Very sincerely

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We did a 5 night stopover here on our way home from UK to New Zealand. I can understand some of the comments about the hotel being tired but the staff more than made up for it. Nothing was too much trouble and always with a smile. The Malaysian people are a delight. We thought the entertainment each night was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 657Yorkie29,

Your generous comments on our Associates will surely be shared with all of them and will with great assurance boost their moral to perform even better in future. Our Team is PARKROYAL Penang Resort our real asset and always happy to be of service.
It is really nice to receive nice positive comments when we are doing it right for our guests, great motivation to work harder, THANK YOU!

Have a fantastic day.
Very sincerely
Brisbane Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed for 10 nights October 12th in a Grand Seaview Deluxe room.This was my fourth time to Park Royal and wont be my last.I am glad to see that they are trying to improve some aspects of the hotel.We were sad that they delivered new chairs to the pool area the day before we left ,it was raining so we didnt get to try them out.
I love the staff at this hotel .Always happy and willing to please the guests.We had wonderful staff by the pool at the Sunset Bar. Salmi & Aman are an asset to the hotel.The service they provided everyday was exceptional.
We made use of the Gym and visited the spa twice(lovey staff at St Gregorys).
Breakfast was good ,although the coffee machines seemed to cause the staff alot of problems.
Seafood buffet was ok but not as good as 2 years ago.The food ordered from by the pool was excellent.
We also used the car service at the travel desk this time as there was 5 of us .This service was great , ask for Geeva he was an exceptional driver with alot of knowledge.
Thank you Francois & Richard your hotel & staff are a credit to you

Room Tip: Choose a Grand Seaview Deluxe Room,they have the best view. Hillview Room 551 was huge
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Janelle_9 ,

Thank you so much for your real nice comments, THANK YOU for your strong support all these years, it is absolutely great to know we have created memorable hotel experiences while staying with us a PARKROYAL Penang resort. even more valuable to hear from a long returnee like your goodself, THANK YOU!
I can thank you enough for your time to share as we know it is the expectation but it is really nice to know we did it right!
Thank you a million and have an awesome day.

Francois

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!