“What a gem - wonderful hotel and awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

Save Saved
You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Room, 20% F&B and Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Hervey Bay, Australia
“What a gem - wonderful hotel and awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

From the minute we stepped into the Parkroyal we were treated as valued guests. We were delighted with the sincere welcome from Richard and Nan, and were grateful for the early check-in to our rooms (Grand Deluxe Seaview rooms on 6th + 7th Floor).
The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and very well presented with fantastic views over the beach & sea.
Airconditioning was super quiet. The bathroom was very well set out, plenty of nice complimentary toiletries including toothbrushes, combs, nail files etc. Sewing kit also provided. The king size bed was so comfortable, pillows good also. Safe was big enough for a couple of ipads, wallets, passports etc with a lockable drawer located on shelf under safe - big enough to lock away a laptop etc.
The housekeeping staff were very friendly, always giving us a smile and greeting when passing in corridor. (It was only some of the other guests that did not smile or offer a friendly greeting when sharing the lift etc as is often the case.)
Housekeeping staff delivered tasty homestyle baked cookies each afternoon, checking with us daily if we were happy with everything in our room and inquiring if we needed any extra coffee, tea, bottled water, toiletries etc. Nothing was ever too much bother for them.
This high level of service was evident throughout the Hotel.
The breakfast buffet provided an excellent variety of foods to satisfy all tastes. Breakfast staff also very friendly and courteous and very efficient in clearing and cleaning newly vacated tables. Plenty of seating and table availability, never had to queue up for food.
Cool Bananas Cafe at the Hotel was a top place for lunch, huge helpings and icy cold drinks. Prices were great also. Great value for money.
Pool sparkling clean, and Hotel grounds very well maintained and presented. Heaps of empty sun lounge chairs available around the Hotel grounds everyday, both in the sun and shade. No towels draped across empty chairs all day like many other Hotels.
Night markets start out the front of Hotel and extend approximately a kilometre or so. Mini mart x 2 and money changer directly across the road. Long Beach Food Hall easy stroll away.
Hotel has a tour desk located near entrance door in lobby where tours, drivers , taxis etc can be organised for you. We did a couple of day tours and were delighted with our driver (Thompson - "Tom"). Great bloke.
The Hotel has its own shuttle bus into Georgetown several times a day (RM10 each way pp) which we used several times with a choice of pick up times for return journey back to Hotel. I well recommend this service.
This was our 6th trip to Batu Ferringhi and we had always stayed at the Golden Sands previously. Due to noisy unruly kids at the Golden Sands Hotel on our previous 2 visits we decided to try the Parkroyal this time.
Boy, we are so glad we did as the Parkroyal went above and beyond our expectations and a better hotel would be hard to find.
The hotel is quiet, in a great location, lovely well set out rooms, staff are friendly, courteous and very helpful.
What an absolute gem!!!!!!

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe balcony rooms (seaview) highly recommended. We stayed on 6th Floor and friends on 7th f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Dingopupsherveybay,

How nice to receive such a nice feedback. I am so pleased to know our Team was found to be friendly and attentive which is very reassuring to know. We will continue to work harder and perform our task the best we can to ensure our guests’ total satisfaction.
We all look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort in a near future.
Have an outstanding day.

1,344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Room was great, clean and spacious, staff were very lovely, pools are beautiful, buffet was excellent. Overall A++
highly recommended especially for people with young kids!! Forgot to mention the kids club... The kids had the best time!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Balbul28,
Thank you so, so much for sharing your positive and very kind feedbacks and it is very reassuring to know we are doing it right at PARKROYAL Penang Resort. The Team is so happy to have seen your generous comments, a real boost of moral well needed!!
Have a most wonderful time ahead.

Sevenoaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here 3 years ago and this time I upgraded to a Palm View Suite as this was our 40th wedding anniversary and we were knocked out by the size of the lounge and bedroom.
Staff were so attentive, especially Ivy on reception and Anna in the lounge. They made feel so special. On our anniversary day we were sitting on our veranda when I heard a knock from the inside of the veranda doors. Thinking that it was room service I opened the doors and was delighted to see Anna and 2 of her colleagues bringing us champagne, a dozen helium balloons, roses, decorated cup cakes and a card signed by the staff.So sweet.

Breakfast is in a non-a/c area but overhead fans help. Likewise the lounge is open to the elements so relies on fans.

The location is good, right in the middle of things. A laundry and mini mall over the road, restaurants to the left and the right.

OK we enjoyed the Rasa Sayang when we visited in 2007, but the Park Royal is close enough and is better value for money too.

The only downside is that there is no Club Lounge but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe sea facing room or a suite, depending on your budget.
Dear mjw44,

Thank you for your nice and positive comments particularly for Ivy and Anna to who I have already shared with and you should have seen the smile on their face, very rewarding!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU for your great support toward PARKROYAL Penang Resort, greatly appreciated and a real sense of motivation to all of us at the Resort. THANK YOU!!
Have a beautiful day.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and 13yr old son recently spent 4 nights here and enjoyed the experience. The staff were excellent right across the board and couldn't be faulted. The check in process was seamless and pleasant with a warm welcome and cold drink. The location is great with the night markets right outside the door. We picked up some bargains there.

If I had any criticism it would be that the rooms are getting a little tired and could do with upgrading. Also the early morning call to prayer at the mosque next door can be a little loud for some.

This hotel is about 45min from airport and costs approx 70RM by taxi.

Overall had a nice stay and thank you to the very accommodating staff.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Jason B,
With my Team, I sincerely appreciate your wonderful review! I am very positive, your review will increase our Associates' morale tremendously. We surely had a good time serving you and your family and we all look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort in a not too distant future.
Have an outstanding time ahead.

Francois
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in this place about 7-8 years ago when it was lovely without the current poor quality market lmost outside the entrance. I am all for local markets/stalls but not on the door step of a 4 star hotel with scares like - 'watch out for snatch thieves and unsavoury characters etc...'
During our 2 nights stay there , early September 2013, we were given a damp and mouldy room ( mould was growing on the net curtain) on arrival which we turned down. The next room though did not smell of damp was cramped and shabby including the bedding. It appears nothing has been maintained/refurbished in the intervening years. Everything looks shabby.
The breakfast area is dirty. Birds flying into the dining area and bird dirt on chairs were not cleaned. Very dissappointed indeed! Needs mega upgrading. Will not stay there again.
We were however very pleased with the tour of the Island . The driver and guide were excellent. They dropped us off at the airport because of the Friday traffic and saved us stress and extra cost - a nice touch. The helping of food is huge. the baguette and chips for our journey was too much for 2 people!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear CAA38 ,

I am terribly sorry you did not like Penang and that our island changed not to your expectation.
Yes the market is not always to my personal liking but it is to most tourist and local who like to come for a good bargain. The market has been there for the past 14 years now and became a real attraction to Ferringhi Beach area in the evening.
I am pleased to say that so far we had very little incident at the Beach side in term of snatch thief, but this is also a global issue not only to Penang in all fairness. Police is alert and we have regular meeting with the authorities to ensure Penang and Ferringhi beach area remain a safe and pleasant place for all tourist and local alike.
I sincerely regret that we did not had the opportunity to meet while staying with us and understand how we could have made your stay a much more pleasant experience.
As I always say to all our guests I meet and talk to, if there is any issue and there will be as we are a people to people business, incident occur not we want them but it happen, as soon as we are inform we will ensure to do our best to rectify and make the guests stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. Highlighting after you departed it become real difficult for us to make it right for you and no one win, sadly! Again our aim is our guests’ satisfaction and pleasant experience while staying with us.
However I am glad you enjoyed our food quality and quantity for which we are known for.
I do sincerely hope you will give another opportunity to redeem ourselves and prove to you we are better than that!

Have a wonderful day
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Perhaps Penang has changed since I was here last, but that does not seem like a good thing in this case. I normally travel as a single female and generally I think Southeast Asia is a good destination for this. Outside of the hotel is a night market, and each night I went out I was followed by someone creepy, I ended up ducking into a few restaurants just to avoid the creeps. So, I decided to walk on the beach and see what was happening there--NOT AT ALL SAFE. If you are by yourself, don't walk alone!

The hotel was being fumigated and the notice said that they would need access to my room from 11am-6pm. The safe is too small for an average laptop and the door says that they are not responsible for theft. I kept the 'Do not disturb' sign on outside my room and could hear the staff loudly make snide comments about that outside my door. NOT OKAY, and the place smelled of pesticide. If I pay for the room, I should be allowed to have the room and I thought the attitude was completely uncalled for- and they should know that the doors and walls are not soundproof and some of us are bound to be jetlagged.

I do not think that you get good value for what you pay for here, the place is dead by 10pm, and the beach is just okay with no place to sit. A nice lobby is fine, but I really wanted to be happy here and was not. The pool looks much, much larger in the photos than it is, it's pretty small for the size of the hotel. The rooms are also in need of an update and the staff is just surly. The 'free' internet moves at a snail's pace and the bellhops are not helpful with taxis. Nothing but the lobby is resembling four stars about this place.

I am deeply saddened by my stay here and I was trying very hard to be positive. Some of the changes they need to make would not be difficult-- like stop calling me lazy outside my front door and get some security on the beach. Seriously, I came from 14 hours behind Malaysia, you're a hotel, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND TOURISTS? Waking up to this was attitude and the smell of pesticide was not what I wanted in a holiday.

I hope that there is still someplace reasonable and friendly to stay in Penang (and this is supposed to be high-end), but I did not find it on this trip... This is my twelfth time visiting here and I am not sure if I will return again. If you can't already tell, I am thoroughly disgusted with this place.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in '12' are next to the service stairs... where they gossip about you in front...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sabai Sabai,
I sincerely regret you felt that Penang was unsafe. Like everywhere there may be some different looking people but so far in Penang it has been pretty safe and it has been no issue with tourists facing such difficulties. The market has been there for the past 14 years or more now and became a real attraction to Ferringhi Beach area in the evening.
I am pleased to say that so far we had very little incident at the Beach side in term of snatch thief, but again this is very much, also, a global issue not only to Penang, in all fairness! Police is alert and we have regular meeting with the authorities to ensure Penang and Ferringhi beach area remain a safe and pleasant place for all tourist and local alike.
I am terribly sorry you did not like Penang and the changes which took place but we can’t at our level stop it but we do try our best inside the hotel to create a feel of safety and care.

I very deeply regret you did not contacted me or my assistant, we would have been most happy to assure you a better safety feelings and do the necessary to ensure a more pleasant and memorable stay with us.
Once again I sincerely apologise your stay was spoil by the poor image Penang gave you and would like you to contact me next time you plan to visit Penang to enable me to show you Penang under another angle full of charm with its wonderful people.

In regards of the warning sign place in the room, it is only a precaution like in most hotel, not particularly to us. Prevention is better than cure ! and again so far it help as at time guests could be very forgetful with their belongings !
Concerning the taxi, we are not very clear of what really happen as our bellman did call one taxi for you upon your request but you regrettably turn it down, left and came back to take the same car.
As you are a long time return to Penang, please do contact me on your next visit and will ensure to provide a much better Picture of Penang which has so much to offer. Please do contact me!

I look forward to hear from you and wish you a wonderful day.

adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year for a few days and it was good so we thought we would stay again this year for a quick break.
This time the service was average by the staff at reception and at the breakfast area .
I know it is not a 5 star property but i do feel it need abit of a face lift as it is looking tired .
I took my issues that had happened to the Assit Manager and he was very good at dealing with what i had to say and was dissapointed with what had happened
When we got back to our room there was a hand written letter from him and a bottle of wine and some spa vouchers which was nice of him to do .

Room Tip: do not expect to get a late check out if your flight is late pay up front if they will let you
Dear mia2000adel,
Thank you for sharing with us and apologise if your experience this time was not as positive as it has been during your last visit. I am pleased to know Richard assisted you well and all turn up to be well.
Please do let us know next time you plan to visit Penang as we would like to ensure you have a more pleasant and memorable hotel experiences.
Have a lovely time ahead.
François

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!