“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
MyKad Great Savings
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Brisbane, Australia
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and 13yr old son recently spent 4 nights here and enjoyed the experience. The staff were excellent right across the board and couldn't be faulted. The check in process was seamless and pleasant with a warm welcome and cold drink. The location is great with the night markets right outside the door. We picked up some bargains there.

If I had any criticism it would be that the rooms are getting a little tired and could do with upgrading. Also the early morning call to prayer at the mosque next door can be a little loud for some.

This hotel is about 45min from airport and costs approx 70RM by taxi.

Overall had a nice stay and thank you to the very accommodating staff.

• Stayed September 2013
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Jason B,
With my Team, I sincerely appreciate your wonderful review! I am very positive, your review will increase our Associates' morale tremendously. We surely had a good time serving you and your family and we all look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort in a not too distant future.
Have an outstanding time ahead.

Francois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in this place about 7-8 years ago when it was lovely without the current poor quality market lmost outside the entrance. I am all for local markets/stalls but not on the door step of a 4 star hotel with scares like - 'watch out for snatch thieves and unsavoury characters etc...'
During our 2 nights stay there , early September 2013, we were given a damp and mouldy room ( mould was growing on the net curtain) on arrival which we turned down. The next room though did not smell of damp was cramped and shabby including the bedding. It appears nothing has been maintained/refurbished in the intervening years. Everything looks shabby.
The breakfast area is dirty. Birds flying into the dining area and bird dirt on chairs were not cleaned. Very dissappointed indeed! Needs mega upgrading. Will not stay there again.
We were however very pleased with the tour of the Island . The driver and guide were excellent. They dropped us off at the airport because of the Friday traffic and saved us stress and extra cost - a nice touch. The helping of food is huge. the baguette and chips for our journey was too much for 2 people!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear CAA38 ,

I am terribly sorry you did not like Penang and that our island changed not to your expectation.
Yes the market is not always to my personal liking but it is to most tourist and local who like to come for a good bargain. The market has been there for the past 14 years now and became a real attraction to Ferringhi Beach area in the evening.
I am pleased to say that so far we had very little incident at the Beach side in term of snatch thief, but this is also a global issue not only to Penang in all fairness. Police is alert and we have regular meeting with the authorities to ensure Penang and Ferringhi beach area remain a safe and pleasant place for all tourist and local alike.
I sincerely regret that we did not had the opportunity to meet while staying with us and understand how we could have made your stay a much more pleasant experience.
As I always say to all our guests I meet and talk to, if there is any issue and there will be as we are a people to people business, incident occur not we want them but it happen, as soon as we are inform we will ensure to do our best to rectify and make the guests stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. Highlighting after you departed it become real difficult for us to make it right for you and no one win, sadly! Again our aim is our guests’ satisfaction and pleasant experience while staying with us.
However I am glad you enjoyed our food quality and quantity for which we are known for.
I do sincerely hope you will give another opportunity to redeem ourselves and prove to you we are better than that!

Have a wonderful day
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Perhaps Penang has changed since I was here last, but that does not seem like a good thing in this case. I normally travel as a single female and generally I think Southeast Asia is a good destination for this. Outside of the hotel is a night market, and each night I went out I was followed by someone creepy, I ended up ducking into a few restaurants just to avoid the creeps. So, I decided to walk on the beach and see what was happening there--NOT AT ALL SAFE. If you are by yourself, don't walk alone!

The hotel was being fumigated and the notice said that they would need access to my room from 11am-6pm. The safe is too small for an average laptop and the door says that they are not responsible for theft. I kept the 'Do not disturb' sign on outside my room and could hear the staff loudly make snide comments about that outside my door. NOT OKAY, and the place smelled of pesticide. If I pay for the room, I should be allowed to have the room and I thought the attitude was completely uncalled for- and they should know that the doors and walls are not soundproof and some of us are bound to be jetlagged.

I do not think that you get good value for what you pay for here, the place is dead by 10pm, and the beach is just okay with no place to sit. A nice lobby is fine, but I really wanted to be happy here and was not. The pool looks much, much larger in the photos than it is, it's pretty small for the size of the hotel. The rooms are also in need of an update and the staff is just surly. The 'free' internet moves at a snail's pace and the bellhops are not helpful with taxis. Nothing but the lobby is resembling four stars about this place.

I am deeply saddened by my stay here and I was trying very hard to be positive. Some of the changes they need to make would not be difficult-- like stop calling me lazy outside my front door and get some security on the beach. Seriously, I came from 14 hours behind Malaysia, you're a hotel, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND TOURISTS? Waking up to this was attitude and the smell of pesticide was not what I wanted in a holiday.

I hope that there is still someplace reasonable and friendly to stay in Penang (and this is supposed to be high-end), but I did not find it on this trip... This is my twelfth time visiting here and I am not sure if I will return again. If you can't already tell, I am thoroughly disgusted with this place.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in '12' are next to the service stairs... where they gossip about you in front...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sabai Sabai,
I sincerely regret you felt that Penang was unsafe. Like everywhere there may be some different looking people but so far in Penang it has been pretty safe and it has been no issue with tourists facing such difficulties. The market has been there for the past 14 years or more now and became a real attraction to Ferringhi Beach area in the evening.
I am pleased to say that so far we had very little incident at the Beach side in term of snatch thief, but again this is very much, also, a global issue not only to Penang, in all fairness! Police is alert and we have regular meeting with the authorities to ensure Penang and Ferringhi beach area remain a safe and pleasant place for all tourist and local alike.
I am terribly sorry you did not like Penang and the changes which took place but we can’t at our level stop it but we do try our best inside the hotel to create a feel of safety and care.

I very deeply regret you did not contacted me or my assistant, we would have been most happy to assure you a better safety feelings and do the necessary to ensure a more pleasant and memorable stay with us.
Once again I sincerely apologise your stay was spoil by the poor image Penang gave you and would like you to contact me next time you plan to visit Penang to enable me to show you Penang under another angle full of charm with its wonderful people.

In regards of the warning sign place in the room, it is only a precaution like in most hotel, not particularly to us. Prevention is better than cure ! and again so far it help as at time guests could be very forgetful with their belongings !
Concerning the taxi, we are not very clear of what really happen as our bellman did call one taxi for you upon your request but you regrettably turn it down, left and came back to take the same car.
As you are a long time return to Penang, please do contact me on your next visit and will ensure to provide a much better Picture of Penang which has so much to offer. Please do contact me!

I look forward to hear from you and wish you a wonderful day.

adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year for a few days and it was good so we thought we would stay again this year for a quick break.
This time the service was average by the staff at reception and at the breakfast area .
I know it is not a 5 star property but i do feel it need abit of a face lift as it is looking tired .
I took my issues that had happened to the Assit Manager and he was very good at dealing with what i had to say and was dissapointed with what had happened
When we got back to our room there was a hand written letter from him and a bottle of wine and some spa vouchers which was nice of him to do .

Room Tip: do not expect to get a late check out if your flight is late pay up front if they will let you
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mia2000adel,
Thank you for sharing with us and apologise if your experience this time was not as positive as it has been during your last visit. I am pleased to know Richard assisted you well and all turn up to be well.
Please do let us know next time you plan to visit Penang as we would like to ensure you have a more pleasant and memorable hotel experiences.
Have a lovely time ahead.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

As said by many on this forum, this resort has a run down feeling to it. But it's overall 'not bad'.

I paid top dollar for a grand deluxe sea view with balcony. While the view was okay, I have seen much better views of the sea so was a tad disappointed. The room wasn't sound proof because of a door separating an adjacent room which had quite noisy kids. The room itself is pretty congested but otherwise okay. Room service menu is pretty limited although the service is prompt and the taste good. The portions are too big. We wasted quite some food. Lower prices for smaller portions would have helped.

The resort was a few restaurants which have special buffet lunches and dinners which we didn't try as my wife is a vegetarian so it would have been a waste considering that they had only 2-3 veg options for in room dining.

The pool area is nice. We had quite some fun there with our 10 month old son! The Sea side chairs for relaxing with a bar on the side is pretty good during sunset or even during other times.

The sea is quite murky with little waves and very narrow width. And combined with water sport vehicles and jelly fish scare makes it one of the most boring beaches especially for me who loves pristine clear beaches and loves to see high gushy waves.

There is a nice mini Mart just opposite where you can buy much cheaper water, drinks and snacks.

Batu Ferranghi as such is quite far from the main penang attractions like penang hill, georgetown, gurney drive or even the airport. So expect to pay myr 30-50 and 45-60 minutes to go anywhere, myr 75 for the airport. Which made me think is it the best place to stay in penang?

If you are for a Beach holiday, this is not the place to be. And if you are in penang for the food and culture, why stay in Batu Ferranghi?

Food is great. On culture, I think penang and malaysia have sold themselves very well. I come from India and I can confidently say that the sites like the UNESCO World Heritage sites in Georgetown are plenty in many indian cities. Not joking. Just that they are more accesible here for the tourists. May be safer and better sold!

This may be looking like a negative rant but it's not. May be I had too high expectations of penang, batu ferranghi as well as Park Royal. It was a good trip. Nice service, friendly people and a nice holiday!

• Stayed September 2013
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Parikshit G,
Thank you for your feedback and regret that you did not enjoyed Penang as a destination.
We have taken your comments seriously for improvement and would like to let you know we are always happy to cook special dishes for our guests on request, due very often for special diet, I sincerely regret that we did not inform you accordingly.
I wish you a beautiful day.
Tweed Heads, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Park Royal in late August. Unfortunatly the weather wasn't as good as we had hoped, and the smoke from the fires in Sumatra made our stay a bit unpleasant. This was nothing to do with the hotel, but be aware that at this time of year to expect rain and overcast skies.
The hotel itself, was a little tired, our room was large, but again in need of a refurbishment. All facilities were provided, good showers, comfortable bed. On the down side it was a very long walk to the room. The house keeping staff were amazing, and everyday we found a different towel animal on our bed...( Very clever).
The restaurants withing the hotel were expensive, although there were plently of choices.
The breakfast was a buffet style, very busy... we felt again this was average for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pam W ,
Thank you very much for your very nice and kind comments on our Team and their “amazing” services from our Housekeeping in particular which I have shared with them to boost their moral and desire to work harder to assure greater customers satisfaction.
As mentioned in many of our guests comments our pricing may be considered pricey compared to outside outlets around the property which are generally not properly registered, licensed and do not follow the government restrictions and by-law that we hotel need to follow to assure safety and quality at whole time. We do our best to offer the freshest imported food however we will continue at improving where possible in the cost.
Thank you very much and wish you a wonderful day.
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I had previously seen some negative reviews of this hotel, and I honestly can say that my experience has been wonderful. Easy check in, nice comfortable room with good air con and spotlessly clean bathroom. Good free wi fi throughout hotel. Every afternoon a small packet of biscuits was left in room - a nice touch. Nice hotel lounge with plenty of comfortable seating. Live music in the evening. Beautiful garden and pool that leads straight onto beach. Very extensive and good quality breakfast for all tastes. The food at "Uncle Zack's" was excellent, especially the evening buffets. The hotel staff are quite extraordinary! They are very helpful and always smiling - nothing is too much trouble for them. They are excellent.

Hotel has a shuttle to Georgetown (RM 10 each way, needs to be pre booked) or you can take local bus (No 101, RM 2.70 each way, but no change given).

A great place for a relaxing week.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Joseph B,

I am very pleased and happy to read that you had an enjoyable and pleasant stay with us and realised that we were not as sometime described.
It is a great motivation to all of us and we will double our efforts to assure we provide memorable hotel experiences to all our guests.
Thank you once again so , so much, we look forward to welcome you back to PARKROYAL Penang Resort soon and wish you an outstanding time ahead.

François

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!