We arrived at the Parkroyal by car, having driven from Kuala Lumpur, and our initial experience was good. Despite the lateness of the hour, the reception staff were attentive and helpful. We had carefully asked for a room at the eastern end of the hotel, away from the mosque at the western end, and were glad we had done so because the noise from the call to prayer is deafening twice a day - dawn being the first time.
Having just come from the posh and cosmopolitan Sheraton in Kuala Lumpur, however, the hotel was a slight disappointment, although it grew on us the longer we stayed. I dislike hotels which lie in a chain on a strip, which this certainly is, and the strip outside houses a tacky night street market, which I equally detest. However, by staying within the hotel grounds, or going out for the day, I was spared the sight.
The grounds are lovely, straight onto the beach. Jellyfish can be a problem, but were not when we were there. And the pools are so good that we didn't mind the slight restriction on the sea. The views across the bay are good, and the waiter service from the garden bars was excellent.
Rooms are large and well equipped, but could do with a facelift and are a little gloomy. We only ate breakfast there, but that was in a partially open and airy breakfast room looking out over the gardens. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom needed a good overhaul and clean.
There are shops in the main foyer - the gift shop is particularly good, with a variety of interesting and reasonably inexpensive gifts. And the evening entertainment were good, and tried hard to whip up enthusiasm.
All in all, although, on and off, we spent 6 days there, the place grew on us, mainly because of the staff. However, I wouldn't return.
- Also Known As:
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the lush greenery in Batu Ferringhi beach or "Foreigner's Rock," PARKROYAL Penang Resort is an idyllic retreat offering delightful hospitality as warm as tropical sun. The resort is situated right on the beach and within walking distance to Night Market, well-connected to island-wide attractions including the Geogetown, the oldest colonial city in Malaysia, temples, Butterfly Farm, Penang Hill and many more. It is also situated 45 minutes from Penang International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, AsiaRooms, Hotels.com, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Expedia, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.