“Not impressive at all” 2 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

Save Saved
You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Room, 20% F&B and Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Bowral, Australia
“Not impressive at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have just stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while in penang. I was really hoping this hotel would prove some of its terrible reviews wrong and those reviews would just be written by picky people but sadly not.

Check in was ok however the young guy who checked us in was very vague on details and I had to press him with questions to actually find anything out I.e. how much they were putting on my card for incidentals or where exactly is breakfast of a morning. Walking to our room the disappointment started- this hotel is seriously dated and shabby. Our room was ok but bed was two singles pushed together which formed a gap in the middle. The bed itself was also quite hard and not very comfortable.

The worst part of this hotel was the noisiness. The band plays until 12.30am every night and when the room is quite close to the foyer and has no sound proofing, this does not make for relaxation. I complained three times but nothing happened, not even an apology. Why does a band need to play that late at a hotel? 11pm would even be ok but 12.30?? Not to mention the noise from other rooms and the pool, it really was not relaxing. Breakfast was only ok and was always busy, again not a relaxing experience.
The best part about this hotel is its location. It is really close to all that is batu ferringhi which is the reason I didn't rate this hotel as terrible.
I will not be returning to this hotel and won't be recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Burekup
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We arrived on Friday, We were given our keys and a drink and that was that? Had no idea where our rooms were, Had no help with luggage. I have two small kids and an 81 year old nanna!!! Got to room and were tired so we grabbed something to eat and wanted to go to bed. Air conditioning was not working. Ugh... we did not sleep a wink.. hot hot hot.. And the noise! Francoise assured me that I would not get the noise with the room I was in. Yelling and screaming from the road and cars and scooters roaring into our rooms. The next morning I was sooo tired. I told reception who said there was no noise. Then Ana, who was very nice, understood what I was saying.. she said she could move us in the afternoon. ugh.. HATE moving rooms after unpacking our things. moved in the afternoon to an "upgraded room"um not really. it was on a smoking floor!!! ugh.. smoke everywhere even though they are not supposed to smoke in the rooms they certainly do!. Had an ok sleep as air con worked in this room, and there was no street noise thank goodness. Bed is like a plank so if you dont want to sleep on hard beds dont come here. No one has asked if we are ok.. basically they dont care. Havnt heard from any managers.. Ana suggested the Lanai room? but only for ALL of us.. 3 adults and 2 kids (not forgetting the 81 year old) um no thanks that wont work.. all of us in one room.. Went down to pool which is great for kids. Tried to order drinks.. Not a soul in sight? so walked to cafe and ordered. This is not a 4 1/2 star hotel... oh and because I was so tired I embarrassed myself by bursting into tears at reception because the last thing I wanted was to complain... nice one Park Royal.. we are staying at the Park Royal in KL so NOT looking toward that!!!

Room Tip: Dont get a room near the street. Sea facing only.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

we are coming back in October , I am sure we will get the best out of the hotel , but reading the reviews im not so sure , lets hope we do as our stay last year was very good . see you soon park royal

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ubud, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this Hotel through Wotif as a "Wot Hotel? Mystery Deal" and then found that it was not such a "hot deal" as it basically matched what the Hotel was already publishing on Wotif. We felt this was bad marketing on their part. When we arrived the Reception staff were disorganised, but from then on all the staff were outstanding. The room was comfortable and had a nice outlook through large trees to the main street and we could hardly hear the noise from the mosque. The staff at breakfast were really impressive as they were constantly aware of what was happening - indeed what would have been an unimpressive stay was made so much better because of the lovely staff at breakfast. We ate several times at a nearby Hawker's Market Gerai Makanan and Minuman Long Beach, and the meals were really good and the price excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We have always wanted to stay at ParkRoyal when our kids were small but we couldnt bcos of d price at that time was quite expensiv..18 yrs ago. We used to stay d hotel next to RoyalPark! Always look across near d pool slides for d kids n looked exciting! Recently we managed to stay at RoyalPark but just d two of us. The room we had was quite spacious except it is not facing d sea.
I love the breakfast spread especially the healthy drink corner. You can request for veggie juice of your choice. I also like when once you are seated, the staff wld put a card to indicate the table is occupied..
I loved the kids corner for breakfast. The food are placed at the low table for the kids to help themselves!
I loved the embience. I took plenty fotos! We had room service dinner! wow the Nasi Kandar was power with varieties of lauk n my husband had bryani with huge lamb shank - Power! We also had dinner at the restaurant, the food are big portion! I hope we can come again and stay at RoyalPark and get a room thatsfacing the sea. Thank your for makingnour stay a memorable one! Insya Allaah

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I wasn't able to give this hotel a 3.5 but it deserves it. But I wasn't prepared to give it a '4' either. Once we’d checked in walking into the room was somewhat like stepping back in time. The décor and fittings are quite outdated; hand painted cupboard doors looked like something one would get in an English B&B. Old-fashioned tiling and fixtures and fittings in the bathroom. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room, but they weren't re-stocked every day. Flat-screen TV, with very limited English-speaking channels - plenty of other languages. But clean and tidied every day.

There are 2 large pools that cater for all ages, and they’re what save this hotel, for me. The hotel is right on the beach and fairly centrally located in Batu Ferringi Beach. The hotel has 2 restaurants, neither of which served what I would class as 4-star food, and there was a serious lack of authentic local dishes on the menu (there are lots of great places to eat within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel).

Paying top whack for stale lattice fries left a sour taste in my mouth. As with the food, the drinks worked out quite pricey too. When I mentioned the price of the drinks to one of the staff the somewhat automated response was "this is a hotel, sir, we charge hotel prices". I had a drink in a big name hotel (hotel ‘X’), also located on the beach, which is very modern, very popular and also operating at full capacity at the time, and the drinks were actually quite a bit cheaper. So I got the feeling we were being taken for a bit of a ride - had we had the same modern, fully equipped facilities that were available at hotel 'X' then I wouldn't have minded paying so much.

The staff were very attentive, happy and pleasant. However, after spending almost US$500.00 on drinks over the week we stayed, I still had to go and order the drinks from the bar myself - someone should have been there asking me, not the other way round. I had to change the room keys a total of 5 times, which got to be a bit annoying, as they wouldn't open the door when swiped.

My overall impression was that this hotel is managed and run to gain maximum profit, and maybe the satisfaction of the guests comes an unfortunate second. And, at US$200 a night, over-priced F&B - whilst having to order ice from room service twice because the order had been forgotten, ultimately leaving me waiting for nearly an hour.... I would like to think there is somewhere else in Batu Ferringi that can offer better for less, or the same, and I'm sure there is. But as for Batu Ferringi, what a great place. Not a lot for kids to do though.

Room Tip: There are beautiful sunsets on the western side of the hotel, so you might want to ask for this with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I sincerely hope to see some significant changes especially the rooms. I do acknowledge that you operate 24/7 but you need to back up your intentions to improve the resort. Actions speak louder than words. All that said we have always enjoyed our stay at the Park Royal and look forward to our next trip.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Peter D,
We look forward to welcome you back and do contact us personally if you may need any assistance.
Have a wonderful day.
Very sincerely,

François

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!