“Holiday as a couple” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

Save Saved
You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast and dinner
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“Holiday as a couple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We have always wanted to stay at ParkRoyal when our kids were small but we couldnt bcos of d price at that time was quite expensiv..18 yrs ago. We used to stay d hotel next to RoyalPark! Always look across near d pool slides for d kids n looked exciting! Recently we managed to stay at RoyalPark but just d two of us. The room we had was quite spacious except it is not facing d sea.
I love the breakfast spread especially the healthy drink corner. You can request for veggie juice of your choice. I also like when once you are seated, the staff wld put a card to indicate the table is occupied..
I loved the kids corner for breakfast. The food are placed at the low table for the kids to help themselves!
I loved the embience. I took plenty fotos! We had room service dinner! wow the Nasi Kandar was power with varieties of lauk n my husband had bryani with huge lamb shank - Power! We also had dinner at the restaurant, the food are big portion! I hope we can come again and stay at RoyalPark and get a room thatsfacing the sea. Thank your for makingnour stay a memorable one! Insya Allaah

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I wasn't able to give this hotel a 3.5 but it deserves it. But I wasn't prepared to give it a '4' either. Once we’d checked in walking into the room was somewhat like stepping back in time. The décor and fittings are quite outdated; hand painted cupboard doors looked like something one would get in an English B&B. Old-fashioned tiling and fixtures and fittings in the bathroom. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room, but they weren't re-stocked every day. Flat-screen TV, with very limited English-speaking channels - plenty of other languages. But clean and tidied every day.

There are 2 large pools that cater for all ages, and they’re what save this hotel, for me. The hotel is right on the beach and fairly centrally located in Batu Ferringi Beach. The hotel has 2 restaurants, neither of which served what I would class as 4-star food, and there was a serious lack of authentic local dishes on the menu (there are lots of great places to eat within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel).

Paying top whack for stale lattice fries left a sour taste in my mouth. As with the food, the drinks worked out quite pricey too. When I mentioned the price of the drinks to one of the staff the somewhat automated response was "this is a hotel, sir, we charge hotel prices". I had a drink in a big name hotel (hotel ‘X’), also located on the beach, which is very modern, very popular and also operating at full capacity at the time, and the drinks were actually quite a bit cheaper. So I got the feeling we were being taken for a bit of a ride - had we had the same modern, fully equipped facilities that were available at hotel 'X' then I wouldn't have minded paying so much.

The staff were very attentive, happy and pleasant. However, after spending almost US$500.00 on drinks over the week we stayed, I still had to go and order the drinks from the bar myself - someone should have been there asking me, not the other way round. I had to change the room keys a total of 5 times, which got to be a bit annoying, as they wouldn't open the door when swiped.

My overall impression was that this hotel is managed and run to gain maximum profit, and maybe the satisfaction of the guests comes an unfortunate second. And, at US$200 a night, over-priced F&B - whilst having to order ice from room service twice because the order had been forgotten, ultimately leaving me waiting for nearly an hour.... I would like to think there is somewhere else in Batu Ferringi that can offer better for less, or the same, and I'm sure there is. But as for Batu Ferringi, what a great place. Not a lot for kids to do though.

Room Tip: There are beautiful sunsets on the western side of the hotel, so you might want to ask for this with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I sincerely hope to see some significant changes especially the rooms. I do acknowledge that you operate 24/7 but you need to back up your intentions to improve the resort. Actions speak louder than words. All that said we have always enjoyed our stay at the Park Royal and look forward to our next trip.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Peter D,
We look forward to welcome you back and do contact us personally if you may need any assistance.

Sockburn;Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent a week at the Park Royal and had a fantastic holiday. Got upgraded to a room with a balcony. The staff were excellent, Rozane, Janice, beach bar staff, cleaners, water sports staff. Would definitely recommend this hotel, it is in great location and it's so nice to have a drink and watch the sunset in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christinejr600,

So pleased you had a real good time with us and you found our Associates excellent.
It is so important for all of us at the Resort to receive such positive feedback as it motivate all of us to perform constantly to our highest level.
THANK YOU, THANK, THANK YOU!
Have an outstanding day.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Entering the main driveway into the hotel I was greeted with the sight of people with banners demonstrating outside the hotel. initially I thought it was a human rights rally or some kind but as it turned out, it was a protest by members of staff & their dissatisfaction with the management of the hotel in particular the current general manager. although vocal, it was organised in a friendly & cordial manner but one can't help but feel somewhat unsettled by the scenes just yards away from the main entrance.

Upon entry to the hotel I found the overall look of the hotel feels jaded & haggard. going there during the school holidays didn't help matters any better. the hotel was full for the weekend and the were people everywhere. the lobby floor was wet right to the lifts from guests returning from the swimming pool. the lounge was full and getting a seat for 4 was indeed a luxury rarely accorded.

The Kids Club (which seems to be a feature for hotels along the Ferringhi strip) is fantastic! the staff was on-hand to assist you with anything & everything that one could possibly need whilst in the Kids Club area. there was plenty to do and the play area looked like it could manage a hundred kids!

Food in the coffee house was rich & varied with American, European & Local fares readily available in troves for you to pick to your hearts content. I particularly enjoy eating in penang, so it is natural that I expect nothing less than GREAT when it comes to food and the Parkroyal clearly didn't disappoint in that department.

will I go there again? probably not and mainly because there are better (and newer) hotels along the strip that I can choose from.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear ahmad shazerain z,
Thank you for your kind feedback, much appreciated.
We regret the unfortunate and extraordinary circumstances under which you visited the hotel and apologise for the discomfort and inconvenience it has caused you. Guest comfort is a priority and have worked/are working to resolve the issue to ensure all our guests enjoy a comfortable stay.
I am pleased to know that your children had a great time in our famous Koko Club where we constantly do our best to have innovative ideas to assure the children have a great experience with us.
Also am really happy you enjoyed our food quality.
Your kind comments will be shared with the Team and surely will come as a boost of moral to all of them.
Next time you visit Penang, please do contact me personally and will ensure you had a more pleasant experience and have memorable hotel experiences.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

So we pull after a 5 hour trip from KL and are greeted by staff protesting outside the hotel! We were taken aback by this as we were hoping for a relaxing stay at the resort.

Naturally we raised our objections straight away to the management at check in and even considered switching hotels....but we are glad we didnt now!

The manager gave us (3 couples) all free upgrades to suites where the noise from the protest couldnt be heard. We happened to be at the hotel where there was a 12hour planned power outage which was highly inconvenient considering the high temperatures. In order to compensate us we were given half price spa treatments, free beachside buffet at sunset, half price drinks all day, free noodles all day and free water sports for a limited time. Richard (one of the managers) was very accomodating and really made our stay worthwhile! The staff overall were very helpful and always at our service.

The breakfast had plenty of variety and the cool bananas cafe served delicious food!

I would definately stay here again and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Usman K,

We deeply regret of the poor welcome offered and I am pleased that my Assistant Richard managed to recover the situation at the time but only regret very sincerely we did not made it right from the first instant.
Please accept my deepest and most sincere apologies.
Concerning the power outage was regrettably not plan and apologise for any inconvenience and discomfort caused.

I do sincerely appreciate your confidence in us and look forward for another opportunity to welcome you back to Penang.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went with friends to attend a wedding and we all had an amazing time. The resort was spotless, the food sensational, the staff friendly and helpful, the beds comfortable, the location magnificent, the spa relaxing and decadent. The professional manner in which Francois and his team organiised and supported my friends wedding was fantastic, they ensured everything ran smoothly. The only thing I can fault is that I didn't stay long enough. Since I have been home, I am already planning my return with my family and I can't wait.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LisaJAnk ,
Thank you very much for your kind comments which I will gladly share with my Team. It is always real nice to receive positive feedback, it is a great motivation to all of us at the Resort to know we are doing it right and create memorable hotel experiences. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
We all look forward to welcome you back soon.

François

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!