My family stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in a standard room.
It was low season or rather, the hotel was certainly uncrowded. This made our stay so much more relaxing and enjoyable.
It is hard to fault a hotel whose GM trawls trip advisor for feedback on his hotel and personally answers queries and complaints on the forum page:)
Our room 416 was very spacious. The 2 super single beds put together was more than big enough for our 2 kids and us. The air conditioning was seriously powerful- very crucial in the Penang afternoon heat.
Our room didn't have much of a view, but that was no issue to us. What was bothersome was that it was probably on the side if the hotel next to a mosque, so light sleepers would be woken by the 6am call to prayer. Rooms eastward would probably be spared that. Our room was also one half of a set of adjoining rooms. We had the misfortune of having neighbors whose child woke intermittently in the night screaming, followed by yelling parents. Not exactly conducive to rest but through no fault of the hotel's.
Housekeeping is top notch. They have very honest staff that they should be very proud of: in our morning rush, we left the safe in the room unlocked, with our passports, tablets and USD in full view the entire day we were out. Nothing was missing when we got back.
The only extremely minor gripe was that the water pressure of the shower head was not as strong as I would have liked... But nothing that warranted a call to front desk.
The pool is probably one of the most perfect for families with young kids. There are shaded areas almost anytime of day, which really helps as kids are wont to spend the entire day in the pool.
There are varying depths: 1m, 1.5m at the main pool and 1.2m at the slides with a 50cm paddle area (completely shaded) for the littlest ones. Perfect for kids to swim about and adults to lounge with a drink.
The slides are also a huge draw. There is enough water flowing to make it a thrilling ride for anyone.
My 5 year old visited the kids club which was large enough and not some afterthought. There was a play area with toy kitchens, building blocks and some trucks and cars. There was a small playscape with a slide into a ball pit. There were also a number of rockers and flat screen TV. They conduct various craft activities daily but my kids didn't do any.
Breakfast is open air with an option to sit out al fresco in a green open space where kids could run around. Food wise, it was passable but I was very happy they had a fresh juice counter for carrot and cucumber juice. I hate breakfast buffets that only have carton juice on tap. It would be nice if the quality if the food eg bread and honey stars could be improved.
Location was superb, with the rapid bus stop just outside. It's also right smack in the middle of the night market, if you like that. We were also pretty close to the butterfly farm which is a definite must-do, as is the Escape Theme Park. ( will be posting separate reviews on those 2 places).
The rapid bus also takes you to adventure zone at Rasa Sayang (or you could walk some 20min) which is a fantastic indoor playground with drop slides. Great for a couple of hours to avoid the midday sun. Open to non Shang guests too. Just bring socks and long sleeve tops.
From the hotel, you can walk to the 2 main food centers: "I Love You" and "Longbeach" though neither had anything really exciting and they only open in the evenings around 7pm.
We chanced apon Jewel of the North, a restaurant across the road, a little way down, that had pretty decent Chinese and Indian food. But it was the most expensive meal we had in Penang. The massage shop next to it was also good for an after-meal snooze.
Over all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Park Royal Penang to families with kids. It's not swanky, it's not posh.... But it ticks all the right boxes for me and it's now my favourite family hotel. Will be back in June again - it's also near enough to the durian plantations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the lush greenery in Batu Ferringhi beach or "Foreigner's Rock," PARKROYAL Penang Resort is an idyllic retreat offering delightful hospitality as warm as tropical sun. The resort is situated right on the beach and within walking distance to Night Market, well-connected to island-wide attractions including the Geogetown, the oldest colonial city in Malaysia, temples, Butterfly Farm, Penang Hill and many more. It is also situated 45 minutes from Penang International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parkroyal Penang, Malaysia Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Parkroyal Penang Malaysia Batu Ferringhi
- PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia Batu Ferringhi