“Holiday stay at Park Royal Batu Ferringhi” 2 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

You added PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Holiday stay at Park Royal Batu Ferringhi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The room and location were terrific. The cleaning services were excellent. Our stay was spoiled by loud music coming from the ground floor lounge every night until approx. 12-30am every single night, even week nights. Some nights there were 6 - 11 people in the lounge. To add to our lack of sleep 2 mornings we were woken up by hammering in the room next door as they rennovated or fixed something very loudly at approx. 9am. We thought we would get some sleep in the morning so we could go out and sight see but no. Mostly we missed the breakfasts (which were paid for) as we had to get our sleep any time we could. Whilst most of the staff were extremely friendly, Senior Reception Staff seemed to have their heads where the sun doesn't shine and the juniors seemed to lack training. If you need sleep to survive and you want to go out and enjoy your holiday, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSigrist, General Manager at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Doug B,

Thank you for your feedback most important to us to enable to improve in our services benefiting all our guest. I sincerely and deeply regret and apologise for the poor comfort provided in regards of the disturbance with the music band in Lobby. I personally review with the band itself to assure immediate improvement. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused. If you had approached us immediately we will have ensure to move you to another room and done our best to ensure you a more comfortable stay.
I have also seat down with my front office team to boost up our training program to assure a true Malaysian welcoming. Thank you so much for sharing, greatly appreciated!

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you and prove to you those issues were only accident s and not the normal norm of PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Please do let me know and will look after you personally to ensure you have memorable hotel experiences.

Have a fantastic day ahead,

François

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed with family(2 kiddos) for 2 nights for some pure R&R. A beautiful hotel with very attentive and friendly staff. The rooms were great, and the maid service was unbelievably good - incredibly efficient, anxious to work around your plans, and always greeting you with a smile and conversation.

Location seemed good, not far from food court / hawker stalls (excellent & very cheap) in the other. All walking distance. Seems to be right in the middle of all the places you want to go. The disadvantage about staying at Batu Ferringhi is that it is quite a distance from the city area where all the tourist sights and local food is mostly located.

Breakfasts were ok. Great selection, Waffles, pancakes, French toast also pretty good.Room was decent with no separate shower/bathtub. Pool and the beach is fabulous. The kids club also very handy. Wifi pretty reliable.

I'd go back, no complaints, very happy overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear sanyALGER,
Thank you so much for such kind comments. It is really nice to hear when we succeeded in making someone else happy and having great positive experiences while staying with us in our Resort. It made not only my day like but also the one for all our Associates. Really happy to know you had a memorable hotel experiences.
With the Team at PARKROYAL Penang Resort, we are very grateful for your time in sharing with us and we look forward to welcome you back, in a not too distant future.

Have a fantastic day ahead,

François
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Travelled to Penang to celebrate my birthday and choose this hotel as family were already staying here.

I had made my reservation on booking dotcom and had chosen the "Deluxe Room with partial sea view". This wasn't the cheapest option, which would have been the hill view room. It worked out at about €120 per night.

The hotel is about one hours drive away from the airport by taxi (70 ringitt, you can buy the ticket at the prepaid taxi booth just outside arrivals).

Reception is large and bright, and gives a good first impression. Check in went quickly, but my bags were left on the trolley by the bellboy, and I ended up taking them from the trolley and showing myself to my room.

The rooms are large enough, but this is (humid) Asia and they are starting to look a little worn around the edges. I was pretty disappointed with my "partial sea view" (see photos), but as my family had a "Grand Deluxe" room on the opposite wing of the hotel which was larger and had a better balcony, I spent most of my time there.

The hotel is huge, location is good, right next to the night markets and shops, right on the beach. But here's the caveat, one side of the hotel is also right next to the mosque, as I discovered at 0530 each morning. (Yes, other travellers have mentioned this, but I never expected it to be quite this loud). As a light sleeper this was torture for me each morning.

After the second morning, around 6 am I had had enough and I went to reception to ask them to change my room, as not only did I get noise from the adjoining room but also the 0530 call was affecting my sleep quality. Either the staff at this hotel cannot say no to guests or they don't seem to be authorised or capable to make their own decisions, and each request is met with "I will have to check with management".

After 3pm I was informed my room had been changed. I was moved 3 floors up to the same side of the hotel, only this time to a room without balcony. This, seemingly, would be less noisy. WRONG. The noise level was just as bad, if not worse. At this stage I wanted to cry, but as I only had four days in Penang, and wanted to enjoy my birthday, I gave up and got on with it.

The day after I met the "Executive Manager" and complained to him directly. He did nothing to solve my complaint and actually said he was "sorry he asked" (how my stay was)!!!! Then he walked away, as there were other guests arriving and the hotel was very busy. Nice. The complete lack of consideration, failure to take any action to address my complaint was just the cherry on the cake for me.

The hotel restaurants are pleasant, but as with many places the prices are exclusive 10% and 6% tax. I would skip the food at the hotel and go with the hawkers at Long Beach.

Yes, as people have said on this forum, the breakfast is great here, the pool is lovely, and the grounds are well kept, but all that sticks in my memory is for what I was paying it wasn't worth the lack of sleep and discomfort and generally being treated like a number and not a guest. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for these reasons.

Room Tip: Use whichever means necessary to get a room on the side of the hotel opposite to reception.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Adieuwa,

Thank you for your feedback and comments, greatly appreciated as it is only though your positive criticisms that we can improve our services for all our guests and your goodself.

I deeply regret for the mishandling and can only ask you to accept my deepest apologies. I will personally investigate and you can rest assure that no stone shall be left unturned to assure we provide only the best service to you and all our guests.
Once again most sincere apologies.
I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to prove to you such incident was only an accident and please do contact me personally and will ensure you have a more memorable hotel experience during your next visit.
I wish you a wonderful day.

Llanvihangel Gobion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel has many good and well deserved reviews. The location is near to the night markets and the staff at hotel are truly lovely. A great deal of thought and care has been put into providing for guests and there is almost too much to list. Rather than waste time repeating the recommendations of other reviews I would rather describe how to get to a near by walk into the forest that offers a quiet and peaceful contrast to Batu Ferengi. Turn left outside the hotel, walk to the first traffic light and turn right, then go up the road away from the sea. Take the second turn on the right and walk past the school until you come to a road on the left that leads over a small bridge. On the other side of the bridge you will see a blue gate, this is the start of the walk and it should have taken you around ten minutes to get there. The walk is actually a service road leading up the hill to a series of water collecting aqueducts. There is a guard on the gate but it is ok to take this slightly off the beaten track route. Go up the hill for about 15mins and the track bears to the right. Follow the track beside the aqueduct for another half hour or so and it splits by a pretend cannon. If you take the lower track in 10mins you will reach a small dam. If you take the upper track in about half an hour you will reach the smaller upper dam. At the top dam there is a small gate the follows the stream through thick forest. If you go up this part of the track you will need proper footwear and be prepared for a few scratches, this part is really only for the more adventurous. If you do go into the forest you will find small waterfalls with sandy pools. The upper dam walk from the hotel takes about three hours from start to finish. The hotel has bikes that can be hired at about £1.30 per hour and they allow the walk to be reduced to a little over an hour. However on foot you will see more wildlife and a bike cannot be taken far into the forest past the upper dam. A bike on the other hand is great coming back as it is mainly down hill and helps cool you off. Whichever way you go there are very few people so it is really calming. I saw monkeys, lizards, large birds of prey, one very pretty snake, something that looked like a chipmunk, large butterflies, dragonflies, and a millipede that was about nine inches long. There was evidence of what looked like wild pig activity but I saw none. Along the way there are plenty small openings leading to small pools and some tracks into the forest. The main track to the upper dam has a tarmac surface and is easy walking, I am sixtyish and of average fitness. Be sure to take water to drink.

Room Tip: Our room had a bed that was the size of two double beds. I would recommend asking for such a room a...
Dear PaulinWales,

Thank you so much for your great feedback, greatly appreciated and it is very nice to know that we have done it right for you and you can be assured I will pass your positive comments to the whole crew who will be delighted and boost their moral as lately we been badly hit but do appreciate all guests feedbacks as it is very constructive and help us to improve ourselves.
Thank you also for the great description on your experience through the nearby forest, really great and surely other guests will appreciate it.
I thank you and wish you a wonderful, wonderful time ahead.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Thought this was a pretty good hotel. Partial sea view room on 6th floor (no balcony) was great. Ours was massive with a full sea view - not glimpses as I anticipated! Just was facing off to the side, not directly towards the beach (small ish window for size of room, but good for view). Probably wouldn't have sat on a balcony if we'd had one as too hot and would've had full sun in the afternoon. Room was big, king size bed was massive. Big decent bathroom. Lots of toiletries provided.

Pool area was great, spacious/spread out. Fab views. Barely anyone using the pool or the loungers. It was pretty quiet while we were there (mid Nov 12). Only minor complaint was that the pool was too warm! Especially on a hot afternoon, not at all refreshing. Sea was the same though.

Location seemed good, not far from Living Room Cafe & Ferrunghi Garden in one direction (both great) and the Bora Bora sunset beach bar and Long Beach food court / hawker stalls (excellent & very cheap) in the other. All walking distance. Seems to be right in the middle of all the places you want to go.

Breakfasts were ok. Great selection, I'm not game for chilli first thing & boringly stuck to the western items mostly, it's a buffet, but the freshly cooked omelettes were great. Scrambled, poached, fried all pretty good too. Waffles, pancakes, French toast also pretty good (actually, only tried pancakes, really good), ask them to make fresh for you! Fruit, usual stuff.

Oh, Cool Bananas (their cafe), did fantastic chocolate milkshakes (both times made quite differently!, but both great), although go inside, not as good from outside bar. Also the other food we had their was pretty good - nachos, Vietnamese beef soup (pho?). Expensive compared to venturing out, but not too bad, especially if you can't be bothered moving.

I'd go back, no complaints, very happy overall. (I'm not a 5-star (or whatever it is) person usually though, so probably overly impressed! Wanted to stay cheaper, but seemed to be a big step down to next level).

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Amy_kiwi,
Thank you so much for taking the time to compliment our services during your last visit, your efforts and time to do so, are sincerely greatly appreciated!
As usual I will share your kind comments with my Team as such feedbacks always come a great boost of moral to all of them knowing their good efforts to provide superior services are being greatly appreciated by our guests.
Making our guests happy is our aim.
Together with my Team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Penang.
Once again, thank you so much and wishing you a fantastic time ahead.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

For years I had wanted to return to what had been, in my memory, a beautiful part of the world: the island of Penang, Malaysia. Back then, this hotel bordered by a beautiful beach, had been managed by the Australian chain, Parkroyal Hotels; a group with a solid reputation for 4-star hotels both in Australia and in southeast Asia. The disappointment upon arriving last week could not have been more stark with my memory of days past: I was horrified. Whoever now runs this place is absolutely not the Parkroyal I know; perhaps they've just kept the name. In fact, throughout Malaysia, there appears to be no respect for trade-mark protection because I've never seen so many copy watches, bags, clothes, etc, as I did in the streets of Penang - and NO, I didn't buy any. Back to the hotel. The "Deluxe" seaview room we were shown was anything but: talk about hyperbole! It stank of mould. To get the promised seaview, we had to stand on a chair. The place hadn't seen a lick of paint or a carpet steam clean in the 20 years since I'd last been there. After letting the hotel management know of our dissatisfaction, we were upgraded to a "Premiere Deluxe" room, which was somewhat more acceptable. It didn't smell and we got a view of the pool and the kids' waterslide. The beach was a filthy disgrace, used by no-one, either tourists or locals alike. The beach and water were polluted. The air was polluted. The night market, which was quite pleasant 20 years ago, was a dire disgrace, stretching about 2-3 kms from the front of our hotel, it offered only knock-off goods of apparently shocking quality. I bought a non-branded belt which I was told was leather, only to have to throw it away after 36 hours as the "leather" stated to fray. The only positive thing I have to say about this place was that the staff were lovely and did their best under what we would describe as adverse circumtances. The public areas were filthy and again the carpet hadn't been cleaning in 20 years, nor had it apparently been painted. We were supposed to stay for 6 days but got out after 3 and went to Singapore for the remainder of our trip. We will never return to holiday in Malaysia.

Dear Canuck1948,
Thank you very much for your message well received the content of which has been taken with the greatest concern.
First of all, I very sincerely regret that you did not enjoyed your stay with us and most particularly in Penang. I have review very seriously your comments about the room comfort and have immediately reviewed with my Team the issues highlighted for an immediate improvement. You will be pleased to know that we are in process of upgrading our room flooring this year and we also plan to change the furniture next year as well as doing some upgrading in our other hotel facilities.
I deeply and sincerely regret that your expectation for a Sea view room was not deliver upon arrival, allow me to explain you had booked a “sea facing” which does not mean having a full sea view however in our property most of the sea facing room have a partial sea view. Regrettably your room was on second floor with obstruction of the front garden and large trees in main garden which could have obstructed the view for which I deeply regret and kindly ask you to accept our deepest apologies.
I deeply regret that you did not rediscover Penang as it was 20 years ago but very regrettably changes in the city and around the hotel have taken place and as Hotelier, we can’t stop it. As much as we would like, we are not managing streets vendors and what is sold in the street, as well as the sea quality (even so we really work on it with the State Government to improve where ever we can, and honestly a lot of positive changed occurred in the last 4 years! We do maintain our beach front but can’t sadly look after the whole stretch.)
We are always very concerned about guests comfort and we are doing always our best to achieve that result. It is only through your positive criticisms that we can improve our services befitted to all our guests and your good self.
I know you were not impressed and happy with your Penang visit but hope you will give us another opportunity to prove you wrong by taking our offer send in our personal reply to you done earlier, as gesture of goodwill to prove to you that such incident was only an accident and not our usual standard. As well as for you to experience our renovated rooms and hopefully change your mind about PARKROYAL Penang Resort.
Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Francois
PS: your email regrettably bounce back if you could kindly provide me your email, I will resend it accordingly. Thank you so much!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Parkroyal for 9 nights - deluxe ocean view room. Apart from the chaotic check in - lots of people arrived all at one on a public holiday - we had no complaints! The bed was massive - nearly two queens!! The hotel is in a great location with lots of restaurants near by with amazing food (especially Indian and Malay - but also western options). The local street is very quiet during the day but at night comes alive with market stalls selling fake bags/sunglasses/clothes etc. The hotel is located on a lovely beach - recommend requesting to have breakfast in the garden for the view. Maid service was great and very friendly. Free wifi was great. Loved hanging out by the pool - heaps of sun beds, great pool side snacks (massive serving sizes) and loved the frozen mango juices. We old definitely go back. Had a great time!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Caroline D,
I am so please to read your kind comments most encouraging to me and my Team as some time we really feel down but thank you so much for sharing your kind and generous comment swith all of us; greatly and sincerely very much appreciated.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a not too distant future.
Have a wonderful, wonderful day.

Francois

Been to PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia? Share your experiences!