It's not a bad hotel for Batu Ferringhi. It's just nothing very special either.
Arriving at Holiday Inn Resort Penang:
We arrived by taxi at around 1pm. We had booked a Tower Hill-view room. At check-in my Priority Club Platinum status was recognised and we were given a choice of an upgrade to a Tower Sea-view balcony room or a Beach Wing Sea-view (but with a different bed configuration). We took a look at both rooms and although the Beach Wing was smaller and didn't have a balcony, we thought it was nicer and closer to the beach, pool, lobby etc. We were also given 2 x free (soft) drink vouchers to use at the bar. The vouchers had the Tower room number written on them - I suggest to reception that they might need to change them to the Beach Wing room number but they said there'd be no problems. They were wrong ...
The Beach Wing rooms are smaller than the Tower, but on the sea side they have good views of the pool and beach area. There is a function business next door, so noise in there rooms can be a real issue. But the functions did not last too late during our stay (thank goodness!). Everything was neat, clean and tidy. Not really luxurious but perfectly nice.
Restaurant - lunch:
We had travelled since early morning and were hungry. So we decided to have lunch at the hotel's only restaurant (it serves breakfast, lunch and dinner). It was quiet and the food was quite good. We discovered later that it's a bit over-priced for the area, but we were still pleased with it.
Restaurant - breakfast:
We booked a rate that included breakfast. Day one was pretty disappointing. Crowded, chaotic, noisy and hot. I went and sat in the lobby area which at least was quieter and cooler. Day two was much better - we went late and the crowds were going. So be warned, if the hotel is quite full, the restaurant only just copes! Food quality was quite OK but nothing very special.
Overall it was good. It's pleasant enough but not as friendly as some hotels. This can be quite a family destination and I got the impression that the demographic causes quite a lot of work for the staff.
The hotel is in a very good location. Right on the beach. You can walk to many other restaurants. There is a night market at the door. There are convenience shops across the road. One afternoon the management held a small cocktail party, for returning and high PC status guests, which was very nice to attend.
Leaving Holiday Inn Resort Penang:
We had an early morning flight to catch. Unfortunately check-out took ages. We discovered we had been charged for our welcome drinks (probably because of the wrong room number on the vouchers that we used when also buying other items from the bar and had signed the tab with our actual room number). It wasn't a big amount to correct - just 2 x soft drinks but it took the staff about 15 minutes to do it! So check-out, all up, took about 20 minutes. Not good when you have a flight to catch!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Resort Penang, together with its excellent location in the heart of famous Batu Ferringhi makes it easily accessible to the Night Market, shops and restaurants. The resort is situated right on the beach, split into two buildings- the Beach Wing, located at the beachside, or Ferringhi Tower, located directly across the road to the beach. The Ferringhi Tower commands spectacular views of both the hills and sea front and is linked by an overhead covered walkway. 358 spacious rooms with a great combination of Family Studios and Kidsuites, the resort is perfect for families and couples looking for a retreat. To also make your every moment of your stay an absolute delight, we make every dining experience special in its own way. As the only hotel offering speciality Northern Indian cuisine, it will be feast that will leave you with 'spicy'memories. At the Holiday Inn Resort Penang, you will discover an exotic way to truly enjoy your vacation and cherish every minute of it. Right from the warmth of the people, the quaint sights & sounds of the island's rich cultural heritage and the rejuvenating hospitality of Holiday Inn Resort Penang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Holiday Inn Penang
- Holiday Inn Georgetown
- Georgetown Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort Penang Batu Ferringhi