“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa

You added Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Batu Feringgi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Garden Wing Offer
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had spent 5 days pounding the streets of Hong Kong so we were looking forward to a relaxing time at this hotel. We were not dissapointed at all. The rooms are spacious, very clean, luxurious and simple things like fresh fruit daily, L'Occitane toiletries replenished every day and the turn down service all add to the experience.

Our favourite thing about this hotel was the pool area and the hotel staff. From the lovely lads who sorted your sunbeds out daily and gave you fresh fruit kebabs to the waiters and waitresses who couldnt do enough for you. Cocktail hour is well worth the upgrade too, the food is amazing and plentiful. Sit out on the terrace for cocktail hour (if you want to wear shorts or more relaxed clothes) and you will also see beautiful sunsets every evening...go to the beach to capture this on camera!

We ate out most nights as the street food is very cheap and so nice!! We did however eat in the restuarant one night (the Ferrengi Grill) and oh my god it was one of the lovliest meals we have ever had. You must have at least one night dining there.

I treat myself to a manicure and pedicure in the Beauty Salon and its was the best, I will forever compare future nail bars to them and I don't think they will ever be the same!

All in all I can not fault this hotel, the staff, the food, the rooms, the pools..everything was just lovely and we can't wait to go back. One word of advise, ignore the weather apps that constantly say its raining, it didnt! It was so hot and sunny every day we were there (we have just returned) and if it does rain its a quick thunder storm usually at night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Shangri La hotels are always lovely and this one is no exception. Lovely room and front desk staff - quite disappointed in the pool crew as they seemed to spend most of their time avoiding eye contact. Impossible to swim in the sea because of the jelly fish which is a great pity. Very expensive spa treatments but amazing reflexology just a short walk down the beach for a about $20.

Room Tip: There is some building and renovation going on at the moment so ask to be far from that
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SL_Penang, Colleague at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear 1K,

Thank you for staying with us. We have noted your observation regarding the pool staff.

Proper guest service training will be given to them to ensure that they are well trained to
interact with all levels of guests.

We have also taken note of your comments with regards to jellyfish. We are working closely with the local authorities to monitor the jellyfish situation. We hope that we will get a more balanced eco system in the near future.

We all look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Suleiman Tunku Abdul Rahman
Director of Communications
Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

When I arrived they were fully book so they gave me a huge room upgrade from garden wing (garden view) to rasa wing (premier room) . Fast check in and shuttle to the other lobby by a very nice guy in a golf car! Awesome services, polite and very nice staff. The resort is beautiful, many things to do, very well maintained. Great food, very clean. Rasa wings guest have complimentary afternoon tea and coquetail and soft drinks during the day. I stayed there for 2 days. I wish I could stay a little longer.

Room Tip: Book for a room in the rasa wing. Go to the poll by late afternoon. Water is warm and the place is p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was burned by a fire jelly fish. There are 2 entries to the beach. The one we used did not have any sign informing you that you should be aware of jelly fish. All my arms, hand and leg got burned. I immediately run to the staff next to the swimming, who spray me with white vinegar. They asked if I wanted to go to the clinic. I declined because I thought the consequences would be similar to ones in Europe: light burn for a couple of days. I decided to go to my room. Once I got there I started shivering and with huge pains all over my body. When I asked to go to the clinic they said the doctor was not there. The next day we asked to go to the clinic but they said that as it was holiday it would be complicated. We decided to go by taxi to the GleenEagles medical center. There the doctor said that, given the extension of my burns, I should have gone to the hospital right away. He also said that vinegar is ok for small burns (but still not the best method) and in my case only increased the pain.

The hotel is very nice and the staff was polite. Once the doctor was not there, they even took me to a local pharmacy (that gave me something worthless). But they were clearly not informed about this situation.

If you like to go to the beach and not to stay only in the swimming pool I would advise you to go to another place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Magarida R,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to learn of your unpleasant encounter
with the jellyfish incident.

We are mindful of our jellyfish situation and we are working closely with the local authorities to address the issue. I will personally bring this matter up during my quarterly meeting with the City Local Council.

We hope that you are feeling much better now and that you have fully recovered from the incident. We have since placed extra jellyfish signages at all the exit to the public beach.

We hope that this situation will not deter you from visiting us again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Suleiman Tunku Abdul Rahman
Director of Communications
Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Booked this hotel via Secret Escapes - it was a perfect choice. Excellent location, beautiful hotel, staff all very friendly and helpful. Our Rasa Wing room had no balcony and faced the car park - but this was not a problem, room very spacious and comfortable, and view was still nice and who needs a balcony when the hotel grounds are stunning with plenty of sun loungers. We very much enjoyed the Rasa Wing pool, with the staff who rush to put towels on sun loungers for you and keep you well supplied with cool drinks and fruit kebabs, or coffee if you prefer. Afternoon tea was the best (I'd say as good as The Ritz in London, where it is definitely not complimentary!). Cocktails were fun, if you want to socialise with your fellow guests - but if not, have a drink after 7.30 when the lounge will be empty... There is lots to do in Penang and Batu Ferringhi, and lots of activities at the hotel, and the weather is wonderful. The shuttle bus into George Town is very good, and will drop you off at the shopping malls, but there is also a bus stop outside the hotel with frequent buses and cheap fares. Definitely want to come back!

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms face the car park and road, and don't have a balcony, but are not noisy - and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 14 days in February this year. This is a very good resort, well maintained and with good options. We stayed in the Garden Wing and our room was very good and I would not bother with paying the extra for the Rasa Wing unless you really do have money to burn. Breakfast was such that we really had to keep ourselves under control and eat the smoked fish and stuff occasionally to stop the guilt trips. We really has a great deal through the internet and our stay was very good value indeed but I would not want to pay over $300 per night to stay here. Not that you could really complain about anything really. The gym was excellent and the change rooms were pretty awesome really with hot tubs etc. Overall if you want somewhere to go that is easy, of high standard and relaxing then try here but do not pay full freight as you may well be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure your garden room faces the sea. Some are side facing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dalton-in-furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our trip to Penang was made fantastic by the stay at this hotel. The staff at the Rasa wing went the extra mile every day making sure our stay was first class i cant praise them enough, we stayed in the Rasa wing and enjoyed complementary afternoon tea and cocktails. We found both good company and excellent service couldn’t ask for more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!