Stayed here from the 29th Oct - 9th Nov,2 adults 2 children(4/8) in a family room on the 8th floor (#1816 Garden Wing), Room was slightly dated but didn't really see this as a problem as we did not fly all this way to stay in the room, on the plus side room had a big flat-screen tv however channels were limited. Room consisted of a single foldable bed and a kingsize bed which was plenty big enough for two adults and a little one,there was a lovely big bathroom with walk-in shower with the usual free amenities,bathrobes and flip-flops!!.The view is uninterupted and a pleasure to wake up to with the occasional sea eagle swooping past to say hello.
The lobby is large with a central seating area,small shop,ancient replica musical instruments and a couple of free-use computers,on arrival we were offered a free nutmeg juice which is quiet refreshing if not different.The grounds are extensive with beautiful big trees dotted everywhere,pools are big but with trees surrounding them you do get leaves which are cleaned out every day and is not a spoiler.
The Penang Bar next to the pool brings out fruit on a stick for free during the day and does some great drinks and food but does come at a price(you are in a 5 star resort),there is a happy hour on drinks which is a nice welcome but finishes at 19:30 so only made use of this as we were going for our evening meal.The Spice Market has an amazing range of buffet food for breakfast and evening meal and on Mondays and Tuesdays does a 2 for 1 on adult meals with kids eat free,it does get very busy with not just guests but locals so booking is advised if you do not want to wait.The Ferenggi Grill is expensive but worth the splurge,we had a birthday there and were given a free cake and serenaded by the waiters(they had an in-house competition for the best singer,his job is now to serve and sing!!).
We celebrated Halloween while there and a fantastic effort was put in by the staff to transform the Lounge Bar into a spooky grotto,my boy came second in the fancy dress competition and was presented with a book which was a lovely touch,the F & B manager looked great as a skeleton(man with no eyes as my boy would say)and Dracula made an appearance(one of the waiters) all putting the time in to make sure guests were having a great time.
Kids club is located in the Golden Sands next door which we made a lot of use of,children must wear long sleeves,trousers and socks to play on the slides though.
The beach is public so busy with water sport sellers,masseurs(Mr Foo highly recommended by me and previous tripadvisors),they are just trying to earn a living so i was not bothered and did go on the jetski's,they do warn not to go swimming as of active jellyfish in the water and as witnessed one japanese man found out to his misfortune.
There are plenty of restaurants outside if you fancy a walk and the nightly "Night Market" for your fake goods are a plenty,the Hard Rock Cafe is down the road but if your thinking of going on a Friday or Saturday night you will need to book.
Lankawi is well worth a visit and you can swim in the sea,its a tax free island so much cheaper for everything but does take nearly 3 hours to get there if its just a day trip your after.
As a whole it is a fantastic resort with great staff,you can see why they have such a large repeat customer base as well as long stayers.I managed to forget my camera in the back of the taxi when it dropped me at the airport and the hotel managed to track it down for me and arrange a courier service to get it back to the UK,now thats service!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa is a luxury resort at Batu Feringgi, one of the most inviting beaches in Malaysia. George Town, the oldest colonial city in the country, is less than an hour away by complimentary shuttle, and offers a fascinating mix of Chinese, Malay and Indian culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Hotel.de, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Sayang Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Hotel
- Rasa Sayang Penang
- Shangri Las Rasa Sayang Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa Penang/Batu Ferringhi