we stayed at the golden sands for our summer holidays and frankly my husband and i have to admit it's only on average. besides the pool (though the poolside staff never smiled), adventure zone and spa@rasa sayang are worth the top, there were just some things which have made our stay less enjoyable.
ROOM. we checked in late and we were given a room on the first floor (although we had booked a sea-facing room) - okay, maybe you'd say okay, the room is still facing the sea BUT given the room is situated too low (1st floor), there's not much sea view, but rather, pool view. on the second day after we woke up, my husband told me already there were ants in the room, ants in the bathroom, ants on the writing desk (when he was working with his laptop), ants just everywhere. i know there are flowerbeds outside our balcony to make the hotel nicer, but we are sure there are also measures to keep the ants away from the rooms. pillows are okay, 2 pieces are a bit too high and 1 just too low for us. i thought there would be a pillow menu for the guests, but i couldn't find it anywhere.... actually do the guests have to ask for a menu for the housekeeping (i am not so sure, but most hotels has put down the menu already when the room is ready for new guests)?
MEALS. there's quite a collection to choose from but i must say, with such a BIG flood of guests in the resort especially because it's the peak of the summer holidays, i'd like to suggest the resort to provide enough eating utensils. forks, spoons, knives, mugs, cups, glasses, bowls, plates. towards the end of our stay we had to hunt for them. staff are busy bringing guests to their tables and to serve them BUT PLEASE ASK when you'd like to take away the utensils. there are a few times when the waiter just took away our knives and spoons and forks thinking we're done but actually NOT YET!!! even several unused toothpicks were taken away. i know you'd like to bring them back to the wash and let other guests use it, but it doesn't hurt to ask the guests first, right???
HOUSEKEEPING. please do not take away anything on the desks/tables. i left several empty plastic bags on the table so that i would reuse and put back lotion-bottles (sunscreen, aftersun etc) for anti-messy accidents in the suitcase, but they were gone when we came back from town. what is worse is, a few days later we went out again to georgetown for an afternoon and when we came back, our room was just being cleaned...what, we have gone for 5 hours and still the room was not ready yet?! i later went to complain to the reception and there was a lady telling me 'the housekeeping was busy making up the rooms that were checked out today so that they would be ready for new guests...' okay, that sounds a reasonable explanation, but 5 hours (we had to wait in the lobby) and still not ready was just way too much and hardly acceptable for a prestigious resort.
bad things enough said. i know everything nor everyone is perfect but as a shangri-la such things can be improved.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Otel and Venere so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.