We stayed for 10 nights in sea facing room. My parents also stayed in sea facing room. Well worth the extra money for the room IMO.
Hotel was good overall, just not quite what I'd expected from a Shang hotel if I'm honest. Outside is immaculate - pool areas are great as are sunbeds etc. inside is very dated and tired. You get on with it cos you're on holiday but having come from the Shang in KL this was a definite drop in standards.
Room was ok. Water and toiletries replenished every day, we had a pull down bed in our room that made it tight for space but again it was ok.
Food - generally good. Breakfast in the main garden cafe was chaos. The first day we went it was anything but relaxing. No cups or plates, everywhere was messy it just wasn't what I expected. Thankfully we found out you could breakfast at sigi's - they didn't have the same variety of choice but it was quieter and more civilised so that was a very happy compromise. The food in sigi's was good of an evening too. Pool side food was reasonably good.
The hotels location is really good. You are right outside the night market and a few minutes walk away from the long beach which is a must for anyone going to bf. brilliant place!!
My husband and our son went on a jet ski hired from the guys on the beach who were very helpful and friendly advising us when the sea was better as our son is only 3. Though at times I found the constant touting for business from some of the others annoying.
The hotel was very busy while we were there so I suppose that was a bit of a negative for us, don't get me wrong I like going to places where other people are just not when it is constantly noisy!
Overall would we return - probably not but don't let that put you off!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Penang, Malaysia is the epitome of a resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated along the popular Batu Feringgi Beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Children aged 5 to 12 years old can join the complimentary Cool Zone Kids' Club with fun daily activities from 9:30am to 9pm which is inclusive of lunch and dinner. Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the Beach, a Garden Cafe with views of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge which overlooks the landscaped gardens, state-of-art meeting rooms, a ballroom and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out. George Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and landmarks. Recreational facilities include an Eco Centre, tennis courts, Health Club, a Par 3 pitch and putt golf course, swimming pools with outdoor jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in-house modular family entertainment centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi