We arrived tea-time on valentine's day, after the journey from hell----mainly due to a 7hr wait for transfer at Abu Dhabi airport. We both slept until 2pm on Friday, feeling as if we'd been punched, bored & countersunk.
We had a private transfer to the hotel from the airport--bliss.Mr Geoffrey (our driver) was charming & entertaining,& we were both planning to use him for our trips.( Hollow laughter).
On Saturday we wandered down through the pleasant gardens to the beach--intending to swim, but soon found out that that was not advisable due to a jellyfish invasion. No-one was swimming, so I opted for a head neck & back massage to get the travel kinks out. it cost the equivalent of £6 & was wonderful. We ambled out at dinner time to the Magic1 restaurant across the street--& that was when the 'flu kicked in!! on Sunday, Jim called the hotel doctor,who arrived promptly & gave me medication to deal with every single symptom. i stayed in the room (hillside view) I stayed in the room until Thurs, when my guilty conscience kicked in. Poor Jim had been dining alone, was worried about me & then he acquired a milder version of the bug. The young men who "did" the rooms were so patient with me because they couldn't do their job. We had a request from the head housekeeper to meet with him & expected a rollicking for non-compliance, but all he wanted was reassurance that i was getting better & was there anything he could do. The Manager & reception staff sent me a lovely "get well" card & a pot of my favourite Earl Grey tea. Without exception all the staff were charming,friendly, smiling in that completely unforced way that makes you want to smile in return.
Out of 14 day holiday I spent 12 days ill, but what little I experienced I loved
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Otel and Venere so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.