We arrived at this hotel early and was told we had been given a "special room" 163.
The room was on the bottom floor...smack bang next to the lifts!!
It was very large, with a fab view of the car park.
We had booked a superior hillview room (without doing our research first!!) Our travel agent recommended the hotel.
But we thought.. well, we wont be in the room too much as we had some sightseeing to do.
We dined at Long Beach Cafe and had some lovely freshly cooked food.
The night market outside the hotel is also good fun.
We decided on an early night due to traveling, and around 10.30 pm there was an almighty racket (generator???) The "ping ping" from the lifts and the banging doors were also proving to be very irritating.
At 11.30 my husband went to reception and explained that there was no way we could sleep with the noise. No problem...we were told to leave all our things and move to room 111.
This proved to be just as noisy, we could still hear the generator?? and also the noise from the reception area.
We decided to move back to our original room and stick it out until morning. The noise continued until around 2.30 am. We just had to put up with the pinging lifts then.
Next morning my husband asked to see the manager and explained the situation. All the staff we encountered claimed not to know what the noise was.
We were then given another room on the 6th floor, with a view of the very busy main road and traffic noise to match.
We admitted defeat and carried on with our holiday.
One day i had to seek out a housekeeper and ask for drink supplies to be replenished as we had run out.
Buffet breakfast was noisy and very busy, there was a large choice of fresh food.
The hotel itself was lovely and clean with friendly staff. Facilities were plentiful with a well equipped gym. Wi-fi was efficient. Whilst we were there the hotel was very busy with several conferences being held there. On the days there was no conferences the hotel was quiet.
We did not use the beach.
We did consider upgrading to a sea view room but as we were only there for 5 nights we decided to wait until we arrived at our next destination the Rasa Ria in Borneo as we were there longer.
We felt dissapointed with this hotel and with hindsight it is not one we would have chosen ourselves, and its a shame as the hotel and staff are lovely, and kept very clean.
Maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion.
If i had to go again i would definitely need a balcony, which all the sea view rooms have. I have a suspicion that all the hillview rooms could be noisy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi