We stayed at this hotel after a busy three days in KL. What a great place to relax and unwind! We had a second floor sea facing room which you have to pay extra for , as the non seafacing rooms do not have balconies. We could not fault the place, the room we had was bright and comfortable, with a powerful shower and huge comfy bed, with towels and linen changed regularly.
There was an abundance of sunbeds and although some people put towels on their preferred ones, early morning, there really was no need to do this as there were plenty to choose from. The water coolers placed near the pool was a nice touch too.
We stayed bed and breakfast,and for lunch on most days, we walked out of the hotel to the beach and turned left to the end of the path then left again to a place called OK Cafe. It dosnt look much of a place but the young couple who cook the food are lovely people, very welcoming and the food is delicious and very cheap, much cheaper than the hotel.
I did not use the spa facility or gym so cannot comment.
There are plenty of places to eat in the evening and do give the Hawker centres especially long beach Cafe a go. All types of food are available and again very delicious, we had no stomach problems at all.
We visited Malaysia 10 years ago and like everywhere the prices have incresed, Alcohol is no longer cheap , but the food is still good value for money, and of course you have the night market for bargain fake goods.
All in all the hotel was perfect for us, we have no children and although it is a family hotel it was not over run with children, they have their own pool area and we found sunbathing in the garden area very peaceful indeed. A bit disapponted we could not swim in the sea as there were jellyfish, but the pool made up for it. Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Penang, Malaysia is the epitome of a resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated along the popular Batu Feringgi Beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Children aged 5 to 12 years old can join the complimentary Cool Zone Kids' Club with fun daily activities from 9:30am to 9pm which is inclusive of lunch and dinner. Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the Beach, a Garden Cafe with views of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge which overlooks the landscaped gardens, state-of-art meeting rooms, a ballroom and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out. George Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and landmarks. Recreational facilities include an Eco Centre, tennis courts, Health Club, a Par 3 pitch and putt golf course, swimming pools with outdoor jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in-house modular family entertainment centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Low Cost Holidays, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Shangri-la's Golden Sands Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Shangri-La's Golden Sands Resort Penang/Batu Ferringhi