We stayed at this hotel after a busy three days in KL. What a great place to relax and unwind! We had a second floor sea facing room which you have to pay extra for , as the non seafacing rooms do not have balconies. We could not fault the place, the room we had was bright and comfortable, with a powerful shower and huge comfy bed, with towels and linen changed regularly.
There was an abundance of sunbeds and although some people put towels on their preferred ones, early morning, there really was no need to do this as there were plenty to choose from. The water coolers placed near the pool was a nice touch too.
We stayed bed and breakfast,and for lunch on most days, we walked out of the hotel to the beach and turned left to the end of the path then left again to a place called OK Cafe. It dosnt look much of a place but the young couple who cook the food are lovely people, very welcoming and the food is delicious and very cheap, much cheaper than the hotel.
I did not use the spa facility or gym so cannot comment.
There are plenty of places to eat in the evening and do give the Hawker centres especially long beach Cafe a go. All types of food are available and again very delicious, we had no stomach problems at all.
We visited Malaysia 10 years ago and like everywhere the prices have incresed, Alcohol is no longer cheap , but the food is still good value for money, and of course you have the night market for bargain fake goods.
All in all the hotel was perfect for us, we have no children and although it is a family hotel it was not over run with children, they have their own pool area and we found sunbathing in the garden area very peaceful indeed. A bit disapponted we could not swim in the sea as there were jellyfish, but the pool made up for it. Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi