We stayed at the Golden Sands for a week in March. The resort itself is quite nice and has good facilities, particularly for families. The rooms are very dated and quite small. We payed for a Sea facing room and upon our arrival we were put on the first floor with a view of only the pool and not the beach at all. We were then told we could upgrade to another room on a higher level but we were charged even more for it. Quite disappointing when you have already payed for something and have to pay for it again because it is not what they described. The bathrooms are very old looking and mould has formed on the bathtub. When we arrived to our room (that we had to pay extra for) was dirty and looked like it was not ready for guests. Stains everywhere, dust and dirt. Very disappointing. The service is good and the staff are lovely but somebody really needs to put some effort into fixing the rooms. The location is good as the night market is set up right outside the resort. However it is quite far from the main town and its not a short ride to get there either. Overall the pictures are very deceiving and if you decide to stay here make sure you get what you have payed for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Penang, Malaysia is the epitome of a resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated along the popular Batu Feringgi Beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Children aged 5 to 12 years old can join the complimentary Cool Zone Kids' Club with fun daily activities from 9:30am to 9pm which is inclusive of lunch and dinner. Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the Beach, a Garden Cafe with views of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge which overlooks the landscaped gardens, state-of-art meeting rooms, a ballroom and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out. George Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and landmarks. Recreational facilities include an Eco Centre, tennis courts, Health Club, a Par 3 pitch and putt golf course, swimming pools with outdoor jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in-house modular family entertainment centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi