A nice holiday which is great for families. I would say that it is not of the same luxe standard of the other Shangri-La hotels, but I think that is intended, as it is meant to be more casual and relaxed, more for kids. The hotel had given away our rooms as we were a bit late, but they then offered to upgrade us to a suite for the same price as our original rooms. I cannot fault the reception service, the staff were excellent. Our suite was nice, clean and well appointed.
You will love the pools, the outside areas, the lush scenery, it is all lovely. My kids adored it, there was a water slide and a baby pool with awning providing shade.
The children loved the food at the hotel, it wasn't fussy and there was plenty of choice. Mostly Western fare. I personally thought that the food was okay, but not outstanding. Go to the sister hotel, Rasa Sayang, next door for more special food. But you will find plenty of local places, just a stone throw from the hotel, selling excellent food at really good prices, especially the seafood.
The beach was okay, clean white sand and plenty of watersports. The children adored it. The water was rather smelly and dirty but plenty of people were paddling so I guess it was just me being fussy.
My kids also adored the Adventure Zone and the activities. I wish that the management had included more kids' stuff for free - they tell you that you can do all the activities for free, but you have to pay an entry fee. So it is not really free at all! Nearly all the other hotels we've been to do include at least a portion of activities inclusive in the hotel price.
I wish the management would make the lobby bar and cool lounge a bit more inviting. We tried to get early evening drinks and there didn't seem to be anyone serving, no menus, no obvious bar area. So. I went to the cafe and asked for drinks.
But these are minor quibbles, we really enjoyed ourselves exploring Penang and would go there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Agoda, Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi