The hotel is far away from the airport and the city, but it's worth it. The building doesn't seem that new but once you enter you can see it's a very elegant hotel that has looks like it's made to help you forget everything and just have fun.
When I entered the staff were super friendly, and helped me with my bags straight away. Check in was smooth, and the staff even loaned me some smaller bills so I could tip my driver.
The room seemed smaller than other hotel rooms I've been to, but it's still very cozy. The layout is great, and there was a big wooden craving haning on the bed behind us. There was also a fast internet connection, a nice TV and a DVD player. There was tea bags, a kettle and cups/glasses for us to use and a fridge to store any food we had. The bed was nice and soft, great to jump on too, and lots of great pillows.
I chose the Sea view room, and it had a great view of the hotel and it's swimming pools. Great for pictures! Also there was a balcony with lawn chairs and a small table, great to sitting at night and having a chat with the wife.
The people were kind, and knowledgeable about the hotel and it's services. Everyone spoke English well, and tried to recommend something or the other that would help you be more comfortable.
The swimming pools are great for both adults and kids, there's also a beach with paragliding horse riding and other water sports available, It's not good for swimming but great for a walk and hanging out. The people there weren't after your life for water sports either, say no once and they'll leave you alone. You're not allowed to drink in the swimming pool or by them, other hotels I've been to had a bar in the pool, or let you keep drinks next to the pool, but since this is more of a family hotel with children slides in the swimming pool I can understand why they had this policy.
Right outside the hotel are a few places to eat, and night markets for shopping which is great for a get away. A few of the restaurants are expensive but other places were cheap and had a lot of variety. Massage are also easily available but a bit on the pricey side. Shopping was decent at the night market, a lot of things were available. However the city offered more shopping options, and cheaper food.
For a romantic getaway this hotel is great for Penang, If you've got a little more cash though, try the Rasa Sayang. For a family I reckon it's probably the best in Penang because of the swimming pools and it's beach.
There's a free shuttle bus that goes to Georgetown and other malls in Penang, which is great. Penang is hard to get around in if you don't drive, buses are cheap but it's hard to browse in a bus. You're best of with a map, and a car rental. Taxis are hard to get, especially if you're out in a residential area, or sight seeing a less well known place e.g. temples.
If you're staying at this hotel, make sure you're planning to hang around the hotel or near by. If you're doing a lot of sight seeing, and going out a lot to the city, try staying at the hotel because the commute to and from the city is a bit too long.
Overall a great hotel, you won't be disappointed
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La in Malaysia, Penang is the epitome of premier resort getaway for families, groups and individual travellers. Situated in the midst of a laid-back seaside village and the popular Batu Feringgi beach, its locale provides ample opportunity for exploration and leisure. Embraced by sun, surf and fun, the resort's diversity and accessibility is the perfect antidote for jet lag and boredom. Among its 387 rooms include the biggest family suites, with some equipped with Murphy beds (a retractable bed that fits neatly into walls). Dining options include Sigi's Bar & Grill on the beach, a Garden Cafe with 360 degree view of the gardens and pools, a Lobby Lounge overlooking the landscaped garden, state-of-art meeting rooms, banquet hall and Cool Lounge, an innovative transit lounge for early check-in and late check-out stand ready to serve guests. George Town, a UNESCO world heritage site is a short drive away. So are the island's nature trails and myriad cultural centres. Recreational facilities include a water sports center, three tennis courts, Health Club , a Par 3 Executive Golf Courts, two swimming pools with an outdoor Jacuzzi and Adventure Zone, an in house Family Entertainment Centre. An evolving recreational calendar includes activities organized for in-house guests of all ages ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Expedia, Otel and Venere so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi