“Great hotel for fun, romantic get away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Save Saved
You added Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La to your Saves list
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Feringgi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Hong Kong, China
“Great hotel for fun, romantic get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

The hotel is far away from the airport and the city, but it's worth it. The building doesn't seem that new but once you enter you can see it's a very elegant hotel that has looks like it's made to help you forget everything and just have fun.

When I entered the staff were super friendly, and helped me with my bags straight away. Check in was smooth, and the staff even loaned me some smaller bills so I could tip my driver.

The room seemed smaller than other hotel rooms I've been to, but it's still very cozy. The layout is great, and there was a big wooden craving haning on the bed behind us. There was also a fast internet connection, a nice TV and a DVD player. There was tea bags, a kettle and cups/glasses for us to use and a fridge to store any food we had. The bed was nice and soft, great to jump on too, and lots of great pillows.

I chose the Sea view room, and it had a great view of the hotel and it's swimming pools. Great for pictures! Also there was a balcony with lawn chairs and a small table, great to sitting at night and having a chat with the wife.

The people were kind, and knowledgeable about the hotel and it's services. Everyone spoke English well, and tried to recommend something or the other that would help you be more comfortable.

The swimming pools are great for both adults and kids, there's also a beach with paragliding horse riding and other water sports available, It's not good for swimming but great for a walk and hanging out. The people there weren't after your life for water sports either, say no once and they'll leave you alone. You're not allowed to drink in the swimming pool or by them, other hotels I've been to had a bar in the pool, or let you keep drinks next to the pool, but since this is more of a family hotel with children slides in the swimming pool I can understand why they had this policy.

Right outside the hotel are a few places to eat, and night markets for shopping which is great for a get away. A few of the restaurants are expensive but other places were cheap and had a lot of variety. Massage are also easily available but a bit on the pricey side. Shopping was decent at the night market, a lot of things were available. However the city offered more shopping options, and cheaper food.

For a romantic getaway this hotel is great for Penang, If you've got a little more cash though, try the Rasa Sayang. For a family I reckon it's probably the best in Penang because of the swimming pools and it's beach.

There's a free shuttle bus that goes to Georgetown and other malls in Penang, which is great. Penang is hard to get around in if you don't drive, buses are cheap but it's hard to browse in a bus. You're best of with a map, and a car rental. Taxis are hard to get, especially if you're out in a residential area, or sight seeing a less well known place e.g. temples.

If you're staying at this hotel, make sure you're planning to hang around the hotel or near by. If you're doing a lot of sight seeing, and going out a lot to the city, try staying at the hotel because the commute to and from the city is a bit too long.

Overall a great hotel, you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

1,409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a long weekend to discover Penang. The hotel is ok, well maintained and the location is convenient. The pool is nice and so is the beach. My room had a wonderful view to the sea which was great. Cleanliness is very good and housekeeping did a very good job when cleaning my room. On the downside I have to mention that none of the staff has the urge to great a guest. They rather pretend not to see a guest or ignoring them. It feels quite strange to share an elevator ride with staff and they pretend not to see you and watching rather the display in the elevator instead of saying hello. Quite annoying was the experience I had with the reception. I lost my key card and asked the receptionist to issue a new key card. First I had to wait for a while because her manager was talking to her and did not bother to stop it in order to serve me first. After one minute they stopped the conversation for a while to check what I need. Then I was asked for my room number and whilst issuing the new key, there conversation continued. Nobody cross checked if I mentioned the correct room number - they simply just gave me the key. This made me feel very insecure because any other guest could have done so too and would have suddenly given access to my room. Another irritating thing is, that when you have a drink at the beach bar, they always deliver the order with the bill as they suspect you to disappear without paying your bill.

• Stayed January 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Very much a package holiday hotel. It's an excellent hotel, we really liked the room and the hotel grounds. However, the main idea of a hotel on the beach is that you enjoy the beach. The moment you stepped from the plush hotel grounds on to the beach we were hassled by numerous locals trying to force a foot massage and jet ski ride on you (amongst many other things), in much the same way as you are jumped on at the airports to take taxi or buy a bus ticket. What a shame there is not a private beach.
It was such an issue, my partner and I stayed in the grounds of the hotel to catch the sun....great hotel apart from that.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights in this hotel in march 2011. It was a very very pleasant stay. Our 3 -yr old daughter enjoyed the pool and adventure zone (situated right next to the hotel) very much. The complimentary breakfast served was good and filling..i enjoyed every bit of the variety. The staff were very nice to serve us. The whole atmosphere was serene. We look forward to our next day, perhaps next year for a longer duration.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Great hotel, great service, great food. My two young kids really enjoyed themselves. Everything was perfect except the dusty room. I highlighted it to the housekeeping but they didn't really do much. Cobwebs and dust all around the bed and furniture. Other than that, i would have given them 5 stars....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bideford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in the middle of March, several years after our last stay at this resort. As Golden Circle members we were checked-in at The Cool Lounge, which was very pleasant and a little more personal. Through Air Asia Holidays we had booked the basic Hill View room but were offered an upgrade to a Garden View room on the first floor for RM110++. This seemed perfectly reasonable but when we enquired which would be the quieter room, the receptionist explained that the hotel was hosting a very large Indian wedding for five days, starting that day with the batchelor party in the ballroom and terrace, which was scheduled to last until 4am. So, based on what we had read from previous reviewers, we then asked whether we would hear the mosque if we stayed in our original room choice. She assured us that we wouldn't as the room was around the corner from it but offered to show us both rooms. Although identical in style, the garden view room was nicer because it had a balcony and better bathroom but was however, being on the 'inside' of the curve of the hotel, slightly smaller. It was, though, directly opposite where some of the celebrations were scheduled to take place, so we played safe and chose the Hill View room. The receptionist was quite correct; we didn't hear the Call to Prayer nor any noise from the busy road but unfortunately, as the room was only on the first floor and a long way round the side of the building, we were very close to something mechanical, which made a constant, loud noise. At least with it being a continuous noise we were able to get to sleep and I think that during the night, it did cease at some point.
If I'm being picky, the two things I didn't like about this particular room were the bathroom (miniscule and although updated, still a bit below par) and the king-size bed, which was actually a pair of twins, which had hard edges to the mattresses where they met. The mattress was also ferociously hard.
Other than that, everything was really nice. The Hotel gardens are, I think, the best of any of the hotels along this stretch; beautifully planted and cared for, spacious and well provided with sun loungers - although they would benefit from having some cushions as they become quite hard to lay on after a while. Everywhere the hotel is very clean and still looks newly renovated. The staff were friendly and courteous, the breakfast very good indeed, the Happy Hour cocktails cheap and the cost of other extras, reasonable.
The thing that sticks in my mind about our stay is an odd one; that the hotel management were entirely upfront about possible disruption from the wedding celebrations - there was a notification in every room. In stark contrast, last December we stayed at the next-but-one hotel along this road and not only did they not tell us when we checked in that that night, they were hosting a wedding reception in the garden right below our window, but when they received complaints about the noise from a number of guests, became quite defensive! I applaud the Golden Sands' approach.
We will be back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Nice rooms, we had a seafacing one, everything is very clean and new, staff are friendly and efficient. First night, there was terrible loud music from the SIGI restaurant. You would think that they isolate their own party noise so that those who want to relax can. The beach has way too many vendors hassling us about parasailing and massages.They wouldn't stop at a "no thank you". The beach is dirty with rubbish. So we spent most of the time at the pool, which is a very nice pool - I have fond memories there as a child. I was disappointed that adults weren't aloud on the slide anymore. Location is pretty good, with night markets outside and lots of cheap food stalls. Eating in the hotel is very expensive. The breakfast included in the package is excellent, so we do look forward to that.

Overall, an OK experience. We still had fun with the family. I came back here to re-live my childhood, but something's don't feel the same I guess as an adult.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La? Share your experiences!