“Little over-rated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Penang

You added Hard Rock Hotel Penang to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Queens, NY
“Little over-rated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked this hotel through a travel agent, in which the price included buffet breakfast. We sum up our experience as follow:

Location- it is located in the furthest eastern part of Batu Ferringhi, pretty far from George Town and the airport. If you don't want to spend a lot of money traveling around by taxi , you may take the Bus # 101 to George Town, a 45-min ride, bus fare is less than RM2. Taxi fare can be expensive. it costs RM 75 to go to the hotel from the airport. There are several restaurants, night markets selling fake design apparels, and a nice hawker market (food) nearby. The beach is not impressive, the water is murky and there are a lot of locals try to sell you water activities, it doesn't give you a serene feel, we didn't see anyone actually swim or sun bathe at the beach.

Room, Interior and facility - the lobby is open-air and doesn't have A/C, the interior and the room are nicely decorated. The room is very small though, it only has two single beds. The pool is decent sized and they had a band playing live music at night while we were there, which is nice. The gym is well equipped and maintained. The most impressive part of our stay was the buffet breakfast. The food variety is just great and the coffee from those fancy machines was so rich and at par with Starbucks'.

Staff/service- Staff is very friendly and helpful. They always smile and greet you. There was an instance that we need to arrange a taxi to take us to the airport in early morning, the concierge was able to get us a taxi with reduced fare.

We had booked this hotel expecting the beach was going to be much nicer. If we visit Penang again, we would choose a hotel in George Town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at higher floor, since there is live music in the lobby, noise may impact your sle...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked a seaview suite with kings club access for £110 per night as part of a 48-hour 30% off deal way back in June for two nights in September. as we are backpacking across malaysia, this was our one luxury hotel before we hit singapore weeks later. I have never been gladder to get to a fab hotel!
We were met with happy and attentive staff from the moment we arrived, given juice and a welcome sit down in the kings club before getting to our suite on floor five. It was a gorgeous room with music already playing and some chocolate treats to greet us. Amazing bed, lovely bath and two showers, good sized balcony with splendid views across the pool and sea. What you would expect from a successful chain hotel, especially in a suite.
Kings club access includes breakfast, afternoon tea, and cocktails and canapés, which to us was basically three meals a day! Pool was awesome, good proximity to the beach and restaurant, tropical spice garden and the nature park.
Simply loved it, was so sad to leave and have booked the Hard Rock Singapore now!

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can with kings club access. The lagoon rooms looked lovely though you may eat wok...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

On 27 August 2013, I checked out from Hard Rock Hotel Penang (Room 114) leaving behind my haversack as I have obtained a new luggage bag for my birthday. However, due to my carelessness, I have left behind some items in the haversack's side pockets.

I have only realise this on 31 August 2013, about 1 week later. I quickly called your hotel and was served by Ms Faezah. She was very helpful and meticulous in helping me find the 2 items. I am also very surprised to find that the housekeeping department still keep the haversack.

As I am staying in Singapore, Ms Faezah volunteered to send the items back for me via courier services and got me to sms her my address. She even called me to check if I have received the email with regards to the authorisation letter to access my credit card. I have received the package containing both of my items today! Thank you to Ms Faezah, Ms Nabilah and team for the effort in sending back the items to me. Much appreciated!

Also, on a side note, I was given a free upgrade to Lagoon Deluxe Room on the day of check-in. It was a very kind gesture and a great birthday present for me :) It was a pleasure spending birthday at Hard Rock Hotel, everything is awesome and it feels like home.

I will definitely highly recommend Hard Rock Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Hotel rooms are comfortable. The swimming pool is a highlight for families. The breakfast buffet is really good and tasty. We stayed for four nights and we were really sad that we had to leave. In the surrounding area there are also good restaurants and you can travel to George Town by bus.

Room Tip: You can choose a room with direct access to the pool!
kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed at the Hard Rock Penang from the 2nd - 4th of September and had a rocking time. the staff were professional yet friendly and ever ready to assist in any way they could.
The Naughty and Nice package was worth ever cent paid for it was value for money.
Both my husband and I came home and are already considering making a next trip there sometime in May next year.
The only disappointing thing about the package was the Cabana dinner as it was not up to our expectations.

Room Tip: go for the studio suites located in the centre as you can enjoy a beautiful sunset from there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with the extended family in August. We booked 3 lagoon rooms at the far side of the right wing of the hotel which is away from the noisier areas. I wanted to firstly mention Magdalene who runs the online reservations, she answered every email and granted every request I made. Excellent service!
We arrived slightly earlier than expected, check in was smooth and our rooms were ready. The cleaning crew are brilliant, quick and efficient, and our rooms were immaculate.
Our lagoon rooms were small but wonderfully unique. It was great being able to just step into the pool from our decking. The bed is huge and extremely comfortable with a thick and luxurious mattress topper. We slept "like a rock"! The bathroom is small and only had a shower but no bath. It was quite tricky trying to avoid getting wet while bathing the kids. The hotel are very generous with their room amenities and even provide free slippers as well as flannel bathrobes (not free).
The pool is the most amazing feature of this hotel, hence making the lagoon rooms worth the price. It's roughly segregated into a busy and shallow children's section which contains slides, water features and a sandy-bottomed section. It also has a deeper section towards the left wing of the hotel which has a pool bar and is quite busy and sociable. The pool area at the right wing of the hotel is quieter and more suitable for a peaceful and quiet swim. I did find the sand at the bottom of the pool quite odd at first but eventually started to enjoy it. The pool is constantly being cleaned by 2 very hardworking guys. There is also a little bridge that plays underwater music. The towel guys and life guards are friendly, and hold an impromptu musical workout everyday at 2pm as well as other fun activities.
We used the Little Rock Kids Club once. The staff were lovely and the activities on offer were good. But it wasn't very busy so my kids got easily bored and preferred to spend most of their time in the pool.
Breakfast was actually quite good. I'm not sure why previous reviewers have complained. The Starz Diner was clean and spacious. There was never a queue and it never felt overcrowded. They had a good selection of Danish pastries, cheese, bread and cereals. They also had cooked continental and local dishes, an omelette station, fresh pancakes and waffles, steamed pau, fruit counter, juices and hot drinks. What more do you really need for breakfast?
There is a small shop directly across the road from the hotel where you can buy much cheaper snacks and drinks as the hotel minibar was overpriced as expected.
A free shuttle bus in the evening to the local night market is provided for guests where you can have a cheap and tasty dinner and buy souvenirs.
We then spent the evenings at the Hard Rock Cafe listening to the most amazing band ever! Where did they find these guys?
Had an amazing break. There really isn't any reason to venture very far from the hotel. The only drawback I found was that drinks were overpriced, but no one objected to us bringing our own. We ordered room service once or twice which was fine but nothing to rave about.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a family break. We'll definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms are the only ones worth staying in. Ask for the far end of the right wing which are qui...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel is just as one can expect from Hard Rock. I am not a Hard Rock fan and have never set foot in one. The hotel is spacious and clean with a lovely pool. If you live on the first floor with pool view, you can jump into the pool from your deck but you also have to close the blind all the time because we can all look inside your room. Your choice! The breakfast buffet is just endless with all the choices that represent Malaysia culture. The coffee is one of the best I ever had. The staff is very polite and try to accommodate. We had to catch an early flight out so we checked out at 6 before the cafe is opened. I asked for some take away and they happily brought out a big box for me. Also the concierge is great in providing information. They gave me choices of different cars for hire or bus ride or places we can visit. The night market is 10 min walk away from HRH that should not be missed. Do note this hotel is far from Georgetown and the airport. Bus 101 takes you between Georgetown and the hotel and is very frequent but slow with many stops.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!