“Great Hotel for a Short Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Penang

You added Hard Rock Hotel Penang to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Batu Ferringhi Beach, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100, Malaysia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Hotel for a Short Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

A great hotel for a short break.. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful . The facility well maintained and the food great. If you have young kids try the Li’l Rock Suite . It comes with a king size bed and a little room with two singles, 2 x flat panel TV’s, DVD players, Stereo system and a PS3 to keep the kids occupied. Check for the promotional rate which includes Buffet breakfast and lunch for 2 adults and 2 children – great value. If you are booking a cabana take number 1 or 2 if you want to be near the kiddie’s pool or 5 and 6 if you want a little quite. The property is right on the beach , but be careful of the jelly fish. You can get a shuttle bus to the street market and loads of restaurants of all types about 4 minutes away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bukit Mertajam, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Well this was my first visit to HRH ( Hard Rock Hotel ), I had previously visited when it was still Casuarina..... and this premises has undergone a tremendous transformation..... Check in was very efficient, The front desk Girl ( Bell ) was sweet and friendly with a nice smile.... I booked a Lagoon deluxe room.... When i arrived, the whole place was heaving with lots of people but service was superb..... The room was good, bed was comfortable, the bathroom was a bit slightly small... They had a stereo system and a dvd player which is always beneficial for me as i love to laze around the room and just watch some of my dvd collections.... The pool view from the room was the highlight as i can just step outside to the patio of my room and into the pool... They had 2 deck chairs as well which my friend and me just lazed around.... One thing which was a bit of an incovenient was the air con would switch off automatically when the door to the pool is opened.... So there were many times when the room was a bit warm as sometimes i forgot to close the door back fully.... The mini bar was ok but it was chargeable whcih i find it odd because for the many hotels ive stayed, it is complimentary depending on the rate that we paid...... I invited a few friends over to have the buffer dinner and the dinner was good and food was ok.... The environment of the Starz Diner was great.... With me being a Hard rock music fan , i was happy to see the guitars and costumes of world famous musicians like Tom Hamilton, Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi.... The pool was great too.... The breakfast was ok too..... I truly had a wonderful time at this place and Im Sure i will be back again.... A very important thing to Note..... All the staff at this hotel was superb and Friendly.... Felt a very warmth reception from them..... Keep it up Guys and as u say, U did rock my stay :)

Room Tip: Lagoon Deluxe room is good for all those swimming Enthuasist....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a holiday in Penang staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. This was our first Hard Rock experience and we were delighted! The Lagoon Room with direct pool access from our patio was what prompted us to choose this hotel - what a great decision it was! We will be back for sure! I was a bit worried as people said it was noisy to stay in those rooms but it wasn't bad at all. The atmosphere around the hotel and pool area was always fantastic with familiar tunes constantly playing - (I especially loved the 70's and 80's songs haha).
We found the staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful at all times. The food was plentiful with a great variety and also delicious. We found the location great as it was quiet enough to feel like a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle but also not too far away from the night markets and restaurants even in manageable walking distance though there is a free shuttle at night that leaves the hotel to the markets every half hour. We really appreciated this shuttle and used it often. The hotel is on the beach which is great for walking and water sports however was not that tempting to swim in due to stingers this time of year - thankfully the hotel pool is enormous and a lovely temperature. Thank you for a wonderful stay - we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

hotel staff are generally friendly and will try their best to help you whenever they can. They were very kind to give us a complimentary birthday cake as I had enquired earlier online about whether they could do anything special for my wife's birthday.

They also gave us some concessionary rates for the last day as we were hoping to extend our checkout to a later time since our flight was in the late evening.

rooms are ok and clean but sometimes the noise can be distracting as we were located near the main pool area.

stayed for 4 days and we went to the pool everyday with my 3 yr old as the pool had 3 slides that are child-friendly. There's also a shallow area where you can also play with sand.
I think the safety aspect should be improved. The lifeguards should be standing at the start of the slides to dispatch the guests rather than at a distance and simply whistling when there's "foul play". There were a few near misses and some minor incidents.

The band which performs on fri and sun evening called Jazzhats and ray is fun and good. Keep on rockin!

One of the minus is that it is located far away (about 25 minutes) from downtown area for shopping, good hawker food, etc. One way trip cost about 30-40 ringit.
Food at HardRock cafe is good and large portions but pricey and so are drinks and finger food under the hotel eatries.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We specifically chose this hotel due to its sea view and its new building. Upon arrival on a Sunday, we were really impressed by the interior & exterior as well as the facilities, but were taken aback by the volume of young children by the pool - there must've been about 50 kids around the pool! Lounge chairs were also very lacking on that day.

The summer weekend then ended, and the hotel was a lot more quiet and relaxing - which was what we were hoping for. The pools were an absolute pleasure - huge, well maintained (there was staff constantly fishing dead leaves out of the pool and raking the lawn) and well laid out, and there were enough lounge chairs at this point. This was a comfort as the sea water wasn't as clean as I'd hoped - so the pool became rather important over the course of the trip.

The rooms were clean, tidy and very roomy - which was good as we ended up having to stay in one morning while it poured outside! The bathroom was also very cool as it could open up into the bedroom (good for romantic couples) but might not be for everyone. Despite the many rooms on each floor, the rooms were very quiet - and I was quite impressed about that.

My mom and I wanted a massage as well but didn't like the looks of the local places. So we took advantage of the hotel spa's buy-1-get-1-free massage deal, which was absolutely divine. In one hour, the masseuse I had (Shofiqul) managed to get the sore knots I had built up in my shoulders and back for months which normally take multiple sessions to get out. He didn't speak very much English but I was so impressed that it prompted me to write this review. I've tried many, many massages in North America, throughout the UK as well as South East Asia, and very few masseuse get these knots out as quickly as Shofiqul did!

Overall, I thought the hotel was very well priced and conveniently located. The shuttle bus service to the night market was uber handy. The hotel also has a bus stop immediately across the road which made our (frequent) trip on Bus 101 very easy. (Bus 101 takes you through the markets out towards the big Tesco mall before Batu Farringhi)

Shah Alam, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

book 2 room on last school holiday.. room was ok but i found nothing special in the room except the hard rock brand itself.. one thing that surprise me, everything you want in this hotel is COD term.. order a in dine room- have to pay by cash, book a cabana at the pool- need to pay cash as well.. forgive me if i was wrong but i never experience this kind service at any other so call 5 star hotel.. breakfast need more variety.. love the pool with unique uderwater music at the bridge.. we spend most of daylight there.. other than that, it just an average hotel that come with expensive rate..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Taipei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were so pleased with the hotel, the pools and the food that all the 'minor' hiccups we had faced in our 4 days, 3 nights stay were 'forgiven' thus the 4* rating!!

Arrived at 9.30pm, had suggested for a NON smoking room/floor as we're traveling with a kid and I was very allergic to cigarettes. Front desk staff told me it was 'subjected to availability'!! That was completely unacceptable, I told her that we were NOT asking for an upgrade why would a non smoking room be in that category?? That was easily fixed with a phone call to the manager and they put us in the lil rock suite on the 4th floor.

The walls are very thin, if you're looking for a quiet place, this is not suitable for you, it's after all The Hard Rock Cafe, the noise level was tolerable for us.

Most of the staff were polite, cheerful except for the front desk staff especially the supervisor who gave us such attitude upon checkout!!

Anyhow, we will be back with any hotel requests to be emailed directly to the managers I'd suggest that as requests made upon booking of the rooms and via random emails to any staff tends to be 'ignored'.

Room Tip: The first floor that faces the pool gives you access to the pool & the bar in your backyard!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!